Toyota Quality Slipping, According to the local Import Mechanics.........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I had lunch with a buddy of mine that owns a local independent import auto repair store. He had some interesting comments on what he's been seeing the past 3 years or so. Here's the paraphrase:

1)Toyota quality is definitely slipping, they are starting to have the problems the domestics used to have a corner on.

2)Hyundais are solid vehicles, but their parts supplier network sucks and it takes up to a week to get replacement parts.

3)VW's are terrible on two fronts,they break down a lot AND they have the same replacement parts problem as Hyundai.

4)Hondas now are the most reliable thing he works on, along with Lexus.

This guy is in the trenches everyday with this stuff. He also said he doesn't work on Priuses other than regular maintenance, because the hybrid unit is brutal to work on..........

What does he think of Subarus? Quality data had them up there with Honda and Lexus (and Buick, FWIW), last I looked.

What does he think of Subarus? Quality data had them up there with Honda and Lexus (and Buick, FWIW), last I looked.

He like Subarus. He said they have steadily improved quality like Hyundai has. He said he can't make a living off them or Honda, so I assume that's a good thing for those of us that own those products...........;)

He joked that he could retire in 3 years if he had enough balls to ONLY do Audi and VW service...............:eek::p

He like Subarus. He said they have steadily improved quality like Hyundai has. He said he can't make a living off them or Honda, so I assume that's a good thing for those of us that own those products...........;)

He joked that he could retire in 3 years if he had enough balls to ONLY do Audi and VW service...............:eek::p

Hondas have more engineering advances than Toyota and are more designed toward the person who likes to push the driving limits.

The German vehicles have good engineering design but are plagued with a lot of electrical problems.

I don't think Subie has made a significant change to ther basic engine in 20 years, so they ought to be good at making them by now.

Now I am panting and drooling at the thought that they might bring the flat 4 turbo diesel from Europe to the US in a few years...

Now I am panting and drooling at the thought that they might bring the flat 4 turbo diesel from Europe to the US in a few years...

Same here, but for the Honda Accord diesel (with a 6 speed manual transmission). Honda is suppose to bring their diesel to the US in 2009. Thinking we might pick one up when our '92 Honda hits 20 years of age.

So, does Toyota use different mechanical parts for its Toyota products than it does its Lexus products? I was under the impression that they used essentially many of the same mechanical components, and that the difference was pretty much in the bells and whistles... Guess I was wrong.

I've got a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that's been very realiable. No major repairs, and very few minor ones. My Jeep GC, on the other hand, grrrrrrrrrrr

I've got a 2003 Hyundai Elantra that's been very realiable. No major repairs, and very few minor ones. My Jeep GC, on the other hand, grrrrrrrrrrr

Ours is a 2001. One of the reason why we purchased it was my parents had one with 140k on it and barely any problems. If Hyundai makes a hybrid with some cargo space IE a mid sized crossover with awd or 4wd Id certainly would give it a look as my next vehicle.

I've got a 2004 Toyota Sienna that hasn't had any problems. Well, that is if you don't count the windshield that had to be replaced because a rock popped up into it.
Now, why can't they make rock catchers to protect the windshield. :p

FD, is that really you putting down a foreign car:confused:

Well at least you still like Honda, so do I.

We have a 2000 Toyota Camry that has been trouble free.

Based on his comments, it appears it is a more recent phenomeon, like 2003 on............:eek:

FD, is that really you putting down a foreign car:confused:

Well at least you still like Honda, so do I.

Hey, I got two Hondas.......something I thought would NEVER happen as little as 3 years ago...........:eek:

So, does Toyota use different mechanical parts for its Toyota products than it does its Lexus products? I was under the impression that they used essentially many of the same mechanical components, and that the difference was pretty much in the bells and whistles... Guess I was wrong.

The Avalon and the ES330 share the same engine and drivetrain, for example. However, the Lexus uses different other parts, and from what I have heard from those that know.........BETTER parts..........;)

2005 camry 5 speed 4 cyl BUILT IN JAPAN! No problems. Period, in fact the mechanic that last changed the oil said to me this baby made in japan will last 300,000 miles drive the pants out of it!! The 4 cyl was the best engine they made!

Our mechanic said that Toyotas made in Japan are great and that the ones made in the US suck. We had a 1999 Toyota Camry that was made in the US and we had nothing but trouble with it. Just sold it a few months ago and it's a relief to be rid of it. Our 1997 Toyota truck was made in Japan and it has been a great truck. We expect it will last many more years, especially since we drive so little now.

The only thing about Honda that I'm aware of is that the parts are very expensive.

Our mechanic said that Toyotas made in Japan are great and that the ones made in the US suck.

And who said we [-]US[/-] could not compete... we know how to deal with the competition. ;)

And who said we [-]US[/-] could not compete... we know how to deal with the competition. ;)

I think all Acuras are made in Japan..........time to upgrade!!

Toyota quality is slipping but Lexus (which is basically a high-end, rebranded Toyota) is still the best? Assuming Toyota problems include engine, drivetrain, transmission and frame, these are Lexus components shared with Toyotas. This doesn't compute.

Toyota quality is slipping but Lexus (which is basically a high-end, rebranded Toyota) is still the best? Assuming Toyota problems include engine, drivetrain, transmission and frame, these are Lexus components shared with Toyotas. This doesn't compute.

I am only going off what a mechanic I trust told me, I don't have empirical data to back what he said. I think the Toyota problem is a newer thing. One would think a Lexus has higher quality parts in it than a Toyota..........maybe someone else on here knows??

Components are one thing, who is doing the assembly and what the quality control is through the process and at the dealer probably makes all the difference between a good product and a bad one.

A few years back the german manufacturers decided that they'd focused on QC for so long that it just must be baked into their products, people and processes at this point, so they could pare back some of the oversight and still get a quality product. Since then the quality and reliability of Mercedes, BMW and VW have plummeted. So much for that theory.

So while Toyota and Lexus share a lot of common parts, how those are selected, fitted and tested as components, systems and the final product can be very, very different.

And apparently they are.

Back
Top Bottom