Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Thanks Cheesehead, I'll take a look see...sounds like a great resource.
Meetup is great. The first group I joined 7 or 8 years ago was East Bay English Bulldog Owners. What a hoot--25 bulldogs running around and all the owners chatting.

Then when I was spending a lot of time in Paris for my job a few years ago (I know, boo hoo) I checked the Meetup website and joined a walking group. We had a blast and I made many friends, both expats (from US and other countries) and French folks trying to improve their English.

I hike and walk with various Meetup groups in the bay area now.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about older married guys and meetups? Any good experiences to share?

Old 11-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Here is a good site for characterizing the weather like Seattle:

Average Weather For Seattle, Washington, USA - WeatherSpark

I've used this site prior to taking vacations to somewhat unfamiliar areas.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Speaking only for myself, I would never move away from an established social group, unless I were perhaps going to a retiree spot in Florida, or a cult.

Ha
Clearwater, FL is the place for you. A retiree spot in Florida that is home to a cult!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
The two I go to are quite different. One is a +55 coffee club, and we have lots of functions where I am not sure anyone would be aware or interested in your marital status, unless you were having a one on one with a woman who might like to know what the possibilities were. We do everything from Happy Hours to dinners to occasional parties to rehearsals for opera, symphony and ballet.

The other one I go to is in a bar for Spanish speakers and Spanish learners, mostly Hispanic guys meeting Anglo girls, like a lot of salsa groups. This one would depend a lot on the older married man, and what his interest's were.

I have met some really interesting people there, including a Anglo boxer, probably a welterweight, who spent a year mostly in and around Barranquilla and Cartagena getting into the very active boxing culture there. These boxers are not Wall Street guys putting on the gloves between lacrosse maxes, these are really poor young men trying to feed or help feed a family. It is group "rule" to have discussions in Spanish, so I am sure I missed some things, but overall extremely interesting. He also noted that the places down there that I was familiar with had all been hot spots in the 70s. Really now!

Ha
Old 11-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Clearwater, FL is the place for you. A retiree spot in Florida that is home to a cult!
Wow, a twofer!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Among the meetup groups to which I belong, no one really cares about your age or gender (except for one-- the "Women over 50" group. LOL) The rest are adventure/hiking groups, dining, wine tasting, attending local music and art venues, etc.

Like Ha , I also attend a Spanish conversational language meetup group that meets every other week for dinner and conversation at a nearby Mexican restaurant. That group is about 50% marrieds (both men and women who mostly come "stag") of all ages (18 to 75). Language skills vary from beginner to fluent.

omni
Old 11-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That's a good idea, but relationships take time to build. Sometimes the friends you make are second degree contacts from these activities. It can take 6 months or more.
I agree fully. If there was an indication that this could be a quick experiment, sorry about that. I figured that moving is a big decision, and while noodling long and hard on the idea, you could be gathering data. But that's just cuz I'm an engineer, and my brain works like that
Old 11-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #49

Cheesehead:
In addition to Meetup.com which has many groups for folks in the Seattle area, there are:

All kinds of volunteer opportunities (see United Way, and RSVP sites)

Educational opportunities:
Bellevue College Telos program sponsors classes for seniors on a variety of topics taught be experts. They meet four quarters of the year
University of Washington sponsors Osher learning at three sites (Seattle, Everett, and Redmond): these are excellent opportunities to learn from experts, generally retired professors
Seattle metro region contains a number of community colleges that also offer continuing education classes that are a good way to meet others

But most of all it depends on where you end up living - there are endless opportunities to become involved so you can meet others. Good luck with your decision to move to the Pacific NW.

Rita
Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #50

Habitat for Humanity typically has a lot of older guys -- of unknown marital status -- who volunteer on builds.

omni
Old 11-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Among the meetup groups to which I belong, no one really cares about your age or gender (except for one-- the "Women over 50" group. LOL) The rest are adventure/hiking groups, dining, wine tasting, attending local music and art venues, etc.

Like Ha , I also attend a Spanish conversational language meetup group that meets every other week for dinner and conversation at a nearby Mexican restaurant. That group is about 50% marrieds (both men and women who mostly come "stag") of all ages (18 to 75). Language skills vary from beginner to fluent.

omni
Thanks Omni for your reply. And thanks to Ha also. It sounds like you two should get together and talk Spanish.

I mentioned "older married guy" because I imagine some groups might be more singles oriented then others. I've seen that some groups mention specific ages and also singles orientation so this would be easy for me to avoid. Also ladies seem to have a special advantage in making friends and guys tend towards the "let's parallel play" sort of thing. That's my theory anyway.

I currently meet occasionally with a mixed group of plein air painters which schedules once per week and recently with a sketch group which goes out about once per month. These are not organized around meetup.com.