What new series are you watching? *No Spoilers, Please*

I am really enjoying Call the Midwife on PBS on Sunday nights. BBC series. Yes there are babies being born but there is much more. Well acted, set in the 1960s in London. I highly recommend, just turn away during the birthing scenes if it makes you squeamish.

"Howard's End" on Starz, if you're a romantic and like that time period.

My niece got me going on "The Originals" about vampires, witches, werewolves and hybrids. At first seemed like one of those series with gorgeous actors who do smart things and look at the camera like they're posing for a magazine cover. Then, it got kind of interesting. I'm not totally recommending it, but it is kind of fun. Makes me want supernatural powers and live for a thousand years.

We're enjoyed The Resident on Fox and For the People on ABC for the more recent new shows.

The jury is out on Instinct, Rise, Deception, Krypton, Black Lightning and The Crossing.

Our favorites are NCIS, Blue Bloods, Bull, Madam Secretary, Designated Survivor, Ransom and Suits.

We liked Timeless, Blindspot and Quantico but the are getting a bit wierd.

Sorry to see Scandal go but that was getting really wierd.

It seems that some of these shows have really strong first or first two seasons and then get wierd.

For binge watching I can highly recommend Newsroom.

Glad to see Genius season 2 started last night on Nat Geo, it’s about Picasso this time. Season 1 about Einstein was riveting to DW and I. There were only 10 episodes, I assume season 2 will be about the same number.

Pleased to see Elementary resume Monday 4/30 on CBS, and looking forward to Victoria season 3 one day on PBS.

Last edited:
Lost in Space on Netflix - Season 1 is out there to watch. The entire series is re-imagined as a true Sci-fi show and a bit darker. As usual the first episode lags a bit, but after that its just gotten better and better. Hopefully Season two doesn't take 2 years to get out there.

Not a series, but I really liked the movie "Lucky" on Hulu staring Harry Dean Stanton. It is slow and weird, the main character is definitely an old piece of work, but the story comes around and finishes up very nice.

I just reread my review of this movie. I have to conclude that I'm not very good at articulating why I liked the movie, but it is definitely worth watching. If you need lots of action, don't watch it.

JP

PB4,
I agree. I think they come up with a good premise for a series, and create a good first season, and if it gets renewed, they often don't know where to take the story, and end up going off in some weird direction with the plot.

I thought "Better Call Saul" started out unwatchable, and then changed around completely around the 3rd show of the first season. Someone told me the directors started out trying to be funny, and then switched into a more serious/violent direction (similar to Breaking Bad) around the 3rd or 4th show. A new season was just released, and I'm going to give it a try next.

I really liked the Broadchurch and Hinterland series. Both are murder mystery series from the UK and Wales.

JP

I thought the original episode of Lost in Space was pretty bad, the BW version in the 60's. I didn't think I would like it. But I'll tell you it got better as the characters began to define themselves. Maybe the current Lost in Space might be worth a try . Sometimes a series gets better as it goes along.

Justified was great and was must-watch TV for me while it was running.

Two that I didn't see mentioned are:

The Expanse https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_expanse/

Colony https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/colony

My DVR is set to catch all new episodes.

I really liked the various Fargo mini-series and Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. I am looking forward to the cross-pollination as Morgan sets out on his own and eventually bumps into the Fear the Walking Dead group.

Colony is a guilty pleasure of mine, too. Has it been renewed? Fargo is excellent. TWD is failing and Fear is actually better now

I'm pretty sure the reason they decided to move Morgan over to FtWD is because most people were hoping the zombies would eat the existing cast. What an incredibly unlikeable group of people. I do like TWD, and am glad they had a relatively happy season ending for once.

I've been watching Counterpart on Starz. It's pretty interesting, if fairly confusing. Now that the season is over I'll probably re-watch it and try to figure out what is going on.

Also Killing Eve on BBC-A. Two episodes in and I'm hooked.

We just started watching The Terror. it's pretty intense, and I can already tell there won't be any happy endings to this one. But it's got a great cast and is pretty riveting.

I don't mind the cast on "Fear" in fact I think it's now a better show. TWD has jumped the shark. They've been fighting Negan and the Saviors for what, 9 years now? Sure seems like it.

It's been around awhile but I don't recall seeing a mention of Rectify, now on Netflix. Not the typical cops/doctors/lawyers fare, it's about a man who spent 20 years on Death Row and is now out on DNA evidence and trying to adjust to life in normal society. Probably too slow for some but I'm 2 seasons in (of 4) and find it oddly compelling.

Planet Earth II on BBC. (BBC America?). Great, beautiful photography. Just when you thought you knew all the interesting synergies of Nature, they show you something new.

Billions...
I found a new hero with Bobby Axelrod now that JR Ewing (Dallas) is gone.
Yes we are up to episode 9 on season 2. Great news: they have been renewed for a fourth season.
I thought "Better Call Saul" started out unwatchable, and then changed around completely around the 3rd show of the first season. Someone told me the directors started out trying to be funny, and then switched into a more serious/violent direction (similar to Breaking Bad) around the 3rd or 4th show. A new season was just released, and I'm going to give it a try next.
JP
Yes we watched the first episode of the so-called prequel and gave up. Will give it another try.

I'm a Language Geek, but just tried "Charite" on Netflix. It's the story of doctors and nurses in a hospital in Berlin in 1888- great drama and it's in German with subtitles (good thing because my German isn't that fluent). Win-win.

We just finished Lost in Space on Netflix. I enjoyed it, and will be looking forward to next season. But I'm a sucker for space shows, plus I loved the original.

We just watched the first two episodes of Season Two of The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu). It's good so far. I read a few preview reviews of the show, and people are very mixed in their opinions. I just like it because it's an interesting and provocative story.

Broadchurch on Netflix has been my go to show this past week. The Brits are putting out some pretty good stuff lately.

PB4,

JP

How many seasons have been released where you live? I am awaiting season 4, which is supposed to come out in about 6 months.

We've been watching the newest seasons of Bosch on Amazon Prime and Shetland on Britbox, both very good.

How many seasons have been released where you live? I am awaiting season 4, which is supposed to come out in about 6 months.

Sounds like Better Call Saul Season 4 will drop into Netflix in Sept. Excited for next episode of Billions. That last scene was COOL!

Last edited:
Started watching Shut Eye on Hulu last night. It's sort of a gypsy mafia fortune teller parlor organized crime thing (if that makes sense) starring the guy from Burn Notice. It was pretty strange and violent, and I'm not sure I'll continue with it. But maybe.

NYEXPAT,
I'm falling behind. I've only seen two seasons of Better Call Saul.
Thanks,
JP

Dashman,
Hinterland was good too, and I thought it was a little bit of a copy of Broadchurch. It turns out it was the other way around. Hinterland was filmed first.

Hinterland was also originally filmed in the Welsh language, and then they refilmed it using the exact same bilingual actors in English. Kind of interesting. It is a little darker than Broadchurch.

JP

Westworld season 2 is shaping up great in my view. Just finished watching ep. 2.

Also, +1 on Billions. Dialogue and people dynamics are for me near the best I've seen. So much grey and nuance.

For sci-fi weaklings: The Expanse season 3 got going too recently.

I’ve been trying to get through Game of Thrones. Its good story telling and I like good story telling but there are times it’s simply to graphic with the violence and sex...

We got a week trial of BritBox so we could watch the latest season of Shetland and Vera. Both series were inspired by Ann Cleeves books. If they continue the shows, I hope they end up on Acorn, which we subscribe to. Nothing else interesting for us on BritBox.

Back
Top Bottom