Retire at Holiday Inn instead of retirement home?

Retiring on a cruise ship with a medical staff may entitle you to free medical care.

Or more than likely dumped off at a foreign port due to the fact that your care requires more advanced attention. (This also applies if your not living aboard but just on a 3-7 day cruise)

Sorry you had such a bad experience taking care of your father, that wasn't our experience at all. Some families consider it an honor to have the older generation live with them.

Well said. Just like kids some elder relatives are easy to deal with and others are tough.

I cared for my dad in our home for almost 2 years before we moved him out. It was great for him, not so great for us. I can just about guarantee your idea of when you'll need 24 hour care and your daughter's are going to be worlds apart. I had to fight my dad on giving up driving, (lied and told him the Dr. called the DMV, not a family member. To this day, every doc he sees, he accuses of taking his license.) I had to fight Dad on bathing. He was convinced since he didn't really work, he didn't sweat and therefore didn't stink. I didn't trust Dad to heat up a cup of coffee in the microwave after he entered 10 minutes instead of 1 minute and filled the house with smoke from the boiled out coffee. Having an elderly parent live with you is like having a child in your car with the seat belt off; it's a disaster waiting to happen. You may never need the seat belt, but if you ever did, you'll feel terrible. Same with an adult parent who can't live on their own but doesn't need 24 hour care... YET. One slip or fall while you are out for the day, one absent minded mistake on the elder's part, a million other things that can go wrong.

In my opinion, asking to stay with a child is selfish and if they are smart, they'll tell you up front that they are willing to support you in any way possible, but that they need to live their lives, just like you lived yours; in privacy and full freedom without fear of your or their health and well being.

When my father was finally moved out, literally danced a jig at getting our freedom back. Don't do that to your daughter unless you really don't like her that much.
Appreciate this post. My mom lived with us (only for 4 months). I loved her dearly, but everything you say is what happened to us. She had dementia (that can create extreme meanness). Her falling, her screaming in the middle of the night, her confusion absolutely broke my heart. This was not her (she was 93). We hired in home care for 16 hours/day. Still had many problems. Finally, she went to nursing home and survived less than 2 weeks.

Small strokes began happening-she lived alone up until she moved in with us. She paid her bills, she took care of herself, her friends drove her places, I drove her places. When those strokes hit, she became a different person.

I'd like to believe, by the good graces of the universe, wonderful things will happen to you and your family for the sacrifice you made for your dad. I'm no longer Catholic, but saint comes to mind. You gave your life/peace/happiness for 2 years. No one can judge this experience unless they've lived through it.

GM had 13 kids -- from about 1952 to '68 she'd stay with them on rotation for 2- or 3-month shifts. She was a North Dakota farm wife who buried three husbands -- a tough old gal who fought off diabetes for probably 30 years before it got the best of her and took her sight. During this time she was probably 60 to 75 years old. She died in a nursing home at 78.

Dementia wasn't such a big issue then -- 78 was a ripe old age. Now people in their 70s are playing pickleball. But as the 80s roll around, some level of cognitive decline is almost inevitable.

I remember my DM sitting down my sister and me as her health was failing and telling us she and DD did not want to burden us in any way with their care. I took that as a guide when DD developed dementia in his 80s. It still was a challenge getting him into memory care, but I never felt any guilt about it.

Retiring on a cruise ship with a medical staff may entitle you to free medical care.

Cruise ship medical attention is not usually free. It is usually much more expensive that it would be at home.

I don’t care for Holiday Inns, soo can’t imagine trying to live in one.

Back in 2014, wifey and I stayed 94 days in an extended stay hotel while transitioning from our sold house to our retirement home. The net expense was $1,150 per month and included breakfast in the AM. Our jurisdiction reimburses the sales tax for guests who stay 90+ days, as we were considered residents as opposed to travelers.

The selling point for our decision was that the Extended Stay was 3 blocks from wifey’s job. We also just put everything in a pod and we just took our clothes and cat to the ES.

I

Or more than likely dumped off at a foreign port due to the fact that your care requires more advanced attention. (This also applies if your not living aboard but just on a 3-7 day cruise)

Yes. Like the couple who recently got kicked off a Royal Caribbean ship at a small port in Mexico, and they had to find their own way home without knowing Spanish.

I reported on that in post #45 of this thread.

For simpler care that they can provide, you will pay through the nose.

I just now remember an incidence in our 1st cruise ever, some years ago.

I was lounging with a drink after dinner in the theater, which was on a lower floor, when I spotted some activities outside the windows. It was dark, and I saw some lights. They were lowering a stretcher to a Coast Guard boat. This was a few miles off the coast of San Diego.

I asked a waitress what it was about. She shrugged and said it was just someone who needed medical attention. Apparently, it was not all that unusual.

PS. Recently, our friend Nemo2 on this forum and his wife were kicked off their cruise ship at Malaga. :)

Last edited:
Here is another interesting idea that is better than the Holiday Inn option, that I actually pulled it off....

I married a beautiful woman who is 20 years younger than me. No need to go to a retirement home since my young wife will serve my needs in exchange for my single family house that I purchased in cash which is also retirement friendly (single story, in-ground pool and hot tub, a gym and starbucks are nearby, etc).

She will serve your needs. Sounds healthy. I expect dinner on the table at 5pm honey. :blush:

This stupid article is being posted on Facebook now. It just shows that click bait gets attention.

I don’t care for Holiday Inns, soo can’t imagine trying to live in one.

I guess one could choose a different hotel, but that lifestyle is not for everyone...just like how some people would never consider living in an RV or on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom