Door County Cherries are Ripe now - Photo!

C

Cut-Throat

Best Cherry Pie I've ever had. Yummm :p

CherryTrees.jpg

Those are beautiful! I wonder how they keep the birds off them?

Ha

We head up to Door County once or twice a year in spring/autumn when it's less crowded. (we're a few hrs away)
Our usual stops include Fish Creek and an apple orchard. And of course we pick up a cherry pie or two along the way and some dried cherries to make muffins throughout the yr.
Oh...and lunch usually consists of fish/seafood chowder and apple crisp in the fall. YUM!

Beautiful pic!! Brings back lots of memories. My Grandfather had cherry and apple orchards near Traverse City, MI. Spent my summers there and it was paradise.

My Traverse City memories are catching up with me.
The cousins are still operating great-grandfather's cherry and apple orchards out on Old Mission Pennisula. Walking through the trees, eating sweet and tart cherries and looking out over Grand Traverse Bay right now in my mind. Thanks Cut-Throat for the thread.

The cherry industry and the family want all the FIRE people to remember to eat your cherries everyday ;)
"This delicious fruit is useful. The cherry has anti-inflammatory properties (inhibiting enzymes that cause joint pain) and two antioxidant compounds (kaempferol and quercetin) that improve memory vision and concentration. Generally antioxidants are recognized as good agents because they help prevent cancer and the development of cardiovascular disease."

DanTien said:
My Traverse City memories are catching up with me.
The cousins are still operating great-grandfather's cherry and apple orchards out on Old Mission Pennisula. Walking through the trees, eating sweet and tart cherries and looking out over Grand Traverse Bay right now in my mind. Thanks Cut-Throat for the thread.

The cherry industry and the family want all the FIRE people to remember to eat your cherries everyday ;)
"This delicious fruit is useful. The cherry has anti-inflammatory properties (inhibiting enzymes that cause joint pain) and two antioxidant compounds (kaempferol and quercetin) that improve memory vision and concentration. Generally antioxidants are recognized as good agents because they help prevent cancer and the development of cardiovascular disease."

About 20 or so years ago I got worried about my FIRE status, so I went to work selling real estate in a very high pressure shop. Very manipulative and studied sales techniques. It didn't sit well with me, but I thought I had better hang on to get the money. Instead, I got gout. Big toe looked like a hot sausage.

My wife suggested gorging on pie cherries, which I did. Inside of 2 weeks, my toe was better. I also took the hint and gave up on the high pressure sales idea.

Ha

HaHa said:
About 20 or so years ago I got worried about my FIRE status, so I went to work selling real estate in a very high pressure shop. Very manipulative and studied sales techniques. It didn't sit well with me, but I thought I had better hang on to get the money. Instead, I got gout. Big toe looked like a hot sausage.

My wife suggested gorging on pie cherries, which I did. Inside of 2 weeks, my toe was better. I also took the hint and gave up on the high pressure sales idea.

Ha

Traverse City.......great place. The prices are a bit inflated now that
everyone on the planet has discovered it. I used to live there. Before that,
I worked there one (1) week per month. Great place. Only
negatives I can think of are too many tourists (at times) and the long winters.
Otherwise, for the midwest it's as good as it gets.

JG

HaHa said:
It didn't sit well with me, but I thought I had better hang on to get the money. Instead, I got gout. Big toe looked like a hot sausage.

Ha

This is the funniest thing I have heard all week.

Cut-Throat said:
Best Cherry Pie I've ever had. Yummm :p

CherryTrees.jpg

Brings back memories of several high school bike trips to Door County, lead by our band leader. We'd pitch tent at a campground, and bike anywhere from 30-70 miles a day for 6 days. Boy, what I would give to be able to relive those times. :) Of course, stopping off on the side of the road to sample just one or two cherries among the various orchards wasn't bad either (and yes, we bought some cherries from them as well).

To cap off the week of biking and physical fitness, the traditional dinner was at some pizza place that has a contest of $100 and free pizza for successfully polishing off a 28" pizza by yourself (loaded with about 10 lbs of mozzerella cheese)...which was also a great ending to a week where you actually lost a few lbs. :)

No, no one ever won the prize, despite the wall full of photos of foolish gluttons brave souls who thought they could fit such a monstrosity inside a human stomach....and no, my photo is not among the wall of shame :).

I live in WI, not too far from the orchards (maybe 60-80 miles?) and might go over there to pick a few pails' worth. I like to juice them in my Champion -pits and all. One of the best things I've ever had (non-alcoholic category)........

And yes, they're very healthy and a popular gout remedy, among other things.

pbrane said:
I live in WI, not too far from the orchards (maybe 60-80 miles?) and might go over there to pick a few pails' worth. I like to juice them in my Champion -pits and all. One of the best things I've ever had (non-alcoholic category)........

And yes, they're very healthy and a popular gout remedy, among other things.

So, where do you live? I was about 60-80 miles from Door County cherries
in my former life. It's a great part of the Midwest IMHO.

JG

Hi ho:

I grew up in Neenah and am back here for some crazy reason..

Planning another escape/escapade to avoid winter.

Nice to see some other 'Sconsinites on the board.

-m

Wow, small world, DW is from Tomah, and coworker is from Neenah, and both are pretty cute! :)

I want to tour Wisconsin just to see if all the ladies are pretty up that way! :D

Isn't this evidence of the six degrees of separation theory?

I stop in Tomah to pee when I am driving to Madison.

Martha said:
Isn't this evidence of the six degrees of separation theory?

I stop in Tomah to pee when I am driving to Madison.

I pee there too!

I wish I were FROM Neenah ( but living in San Diego.....)

It might be interesting to know who that coworker is (Neenah's a small town). I actually went out there to check it out about 10 years ago. Real estate prices scared me off I guess. Of course, if I looked at houses now, I'm sure I'd have some sort of co-NIP-shun.

-m

Hey, pbrane, I'm just down the road from you in Oshkosh. Just saying HI.

kz

HI!

I lived in Oshkosh in the late 70's and again from 2003-2004. Had a house right across from Menominee Park...

-m

Back
Top Bottom