Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were walking 9 holes today and things got a little backed up in front of us. The group behind us was in carts so they caught us. To my amazement they had a boom box playing. My friend said boom boxes on the course are becoming more frequent. I couldn't believe it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Several times people i have played with connect their phone app with a little wireless speaker and play... Havent seen a boom box... It really didnt annoy me that much, but noise or even people talking do not bother me when I swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I guess it's not the noise that bothers me, rather it just seems so incongruous with the whole quiet/peacefulness I'm used to. Then again, I never did really understand the need for absolute quiet during the tennis serve and golf swing.

Yes, that is it... It doesnt bother me, it just seems so odd... Golf has always been about soaking up the outdoors and conversation....not music.... But most of the time I play with men 20 to 40 years older than me and they would have no clue or interest in streaming music...They barely can hear now in the quiet without music playing.

We were walking 9 holes today and things got a little backed up in front of us. The group behind us was in carts so they caught us. To my amazement they had a boom box playing. My friend said boom boxes on the course are becoming more frequent. I couldn't believe it. Has anyone else experienced this?

well, not really a boom box per se, but most of us either have sounds wired in our carts or one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-So...F8&qid=1469665572&sr=1-1&keywords=oontz+angle

illegal in tournament play but yes, we rock them for casual rounds

what's golf without a little zz top?

It's becoming all too common. In Montana, the pro shop came out to tell our group ( not my cart) they'd received a complaint, and the club rules specifically forbid music except via earbuds.

I don't like it. I was playing a team match play event in Hawaii. Our opponents were playing loud, country music. On the second tee, I backed off and asked them to turn it off while I was hitting. A couple holes later, which we'd won, my partner complimented me for getting in their heads by getting rid of their music. Honestly, I wasn't playing gamesmanship, it just bothered me. But we won the match. Lol.

it's illegal in tournament play - next time call a penalty on them

No, new to me. I'm not that into music so I probably would not be keen on it.

I've only seen or heard the small cellphone portable speaker combination and you have to be standing close to the cart to hear it so I never considered it a bother.

I've only seen or heard the small cellphone portable speaker combination and you have to be standing close to the cart to hear it so I never considered it a bother.

you can definitely hear my bluetooth speaker if I crank it up

Foxtail North

Played this course for the first time Tuesday & really had a great time! It's in Sonoma county, about 45 mins north of SF. It's not particularly long but, takes a fair amount of thought to get around without getting into trouble-especially the first time; greens are quicker than I'm used to as well.

I scored well (net 64) so, OF COURSE, I now love this course. :dance: Seriously though, it's a nice layout & definitely worth a return trip. Always looking for a new course within reasonable driving distance.

What Fairway Metal Do You Use?

I'm at the point that I've almost given up on my 3-Metal :mad: & need some help.

I have a TaylorMade R11, which has an adjustable face orientation (open-neutral-closed) & loft (13-15 degrees). I bought it several years ago because I don't hit a 3-Metal that far & thought the 13-degree loft (versus the standard 15-degree loft) would give me some more distance. It seemed to but, now it just seems to slice no matter what I do with the adjustments.

I'm sure it's the "Indian" instead of the "Arrow" but, I'm wondering if I should go to another style or brand of fairway metal. The R11 has a fairly shallow face so, perhaps I'd do better with something a bit deeper. I'm thinking this because my next club down is a Cleveland Launcher 2 iron hybrid, which I absolutely love, and it's got a much deeper face; altogether a different design in the hybrid than fairway metals (3, 5, etc.).

So, what do you use?

Any suggestions welcome.

I just got a new nickent 1 hybrid. I'll let you know after I play tomorrow, I dont like using chicken sticks.

If you're looking for a deeper faced fairway wood Callaway has them. IMO all the new drivers and fairway woods are too long for the average golfer. Your average PGA tour pro plays with a shorter shaft in their drivers than what the new drivers come with. All of the drivers and fairways woods I play with I've cut at least 1" off the grip end, I find it easier to control with little loss in distance. Using a shaft that is too stiff for you could also cause you to lose it right.

Interesting. My BIL recently bought new clubs and had 1/2" cut off from each club (he's about 5' 6").

After 54+ years of golfing, finally got my first hole in one, a 180 yard slightly uphill 5 iron to a tucked right pin.

Three weeks earlier, same hole, same pin placement, same shot, I had a " hanger", part of the ball over the hole. A week before, we had our Member-Guest. I would've won a Corvette.

Instead, it wasn't even "my" round, as I was being a "host" member for a friend's 40th high school reunion scramble.

Didn't have insurance, as I'm only here for two months, but the bar bill only came to about $100.

Still looking forward to my first in a "real" round.

After 54+ years of golfing, finally got my first hole in one, a 180 yard slightly uphill 5 iron to a tucked right pin.

Three weeks earlier, same hole, same pin placement, same shot, I had a " hanger", part of the ball over the hole. A week before, we had our Member-Guest. I would've won a Corvette.

Instead, it wasn't even "my" round, as I was being a "host" member for a friend's 40th high school reunion scramble.

Didn't have insurance, as I'm only here for two months, but the bar bill only came to about $100.

Congrats! 6 inches is closest I've come. Still waiting patiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

good job!

Congrats on the hio! I shot a 79 today (last time I broke 80 was 12 yrs. ago).

Well congrats to GS and Golfnut are in order!!! Me...I was relegated "to the range" in an attempt to find my game... :(

CONGRATS! :dance:

I'm still waiting for my first HIO.

BTW, if the 'inexpensive' bar bill of only $100 is still bothering you, you can buy me drinks when I'm in Maui in November. :D

Really, anything to help you out. :greetings10:

I was "early morning golfing" by myself today and HIT THE PIN on a par 3! Of course no one would have been around to attest to a hole-in-one anyway, but I would still have been braggin'!

Finally Nike is exiting the golf equipment game. Hopefully rory heads back to titleist but chances are taylor made will gobble him up. They have all the money at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom