Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of my friends got his first ace Saturday on a 175 yard UPHILL par 3 - with a 7 iron :eek:

Joe can knock it. When I asked him about the "typo" in the paper he told me he took something off the 7 iron. :eek:

I typically hit the back of that green with a 3h, which is normally 190ish uphill. The pin was up front that day.

Was on hole #12 today in the middle of the fairway waiting for my playing partner to hit his ball and from the corner of my eye caught something moving near my feet. Look down and there's a baby rattlesnake about 3' away looking up at me. Did a quick two step to the side. I've been told that baby rattlesnake bites can be the worse, they tend to give a full shot of venom, wasn't interested in testing that theory out. This is AZ so rattlesnakes are around but in 20 years living here it's the first time I've seen one on a fairway of a golf course.

Was on hole #12 today in the middle of the fairway waiting for my playing partner to hit his ball and from the corner of my eye caught something moving near my feet. Look down and there's a baby rattlesnake about 3' away looking up at me. Did a quick two step to the side. I've been told that baby rattlesnake bites can be the worse, they tend to give a full shot of venom, wasn't interested in testing that theory out. This is AZ so rattlesnakes are around but in 20 years living here it's the first time I've seen one on a fairway of a golf course.

Arizona here also: never came across a rattler on the course, but came across a Gila Monster. Looking up under/against some rocks (for my ball, of course) and there it was. Only GM I have ever encountered in 28 years in AZ.

a bite would have ruined your round, day and possibly week - the OP max (on your insurance) would have been satisfied too I'm guessing, antivenom is very expensive

nice two step!

How'd you hit your next shot? 😬

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

I'm at the point that I've almost given up on my 3-Metal :mad: & need some help.

I have a TaylorMade R11, which has an adjustable face orientation (open-neutral-closed) & loft (13-15 degrees). I bought it several years ago because I don't hit a 3-Metal that far & thought the 13-degree loft (versus the standard 15-degree loft) would give me some more distance. It seemed to but, now it just seems to slice no matter what I do with the adjustments.

I'm sure it's the "Indian" instead of the "Arrow" but, I'm wondering if I should go to another style or brand of fairway metal. The R11 has a fairly shallow face so, perhaps I'd do better with something a bit deeper. I'm thinking this because my next club down is a Cleveland Launcher 2 iron hybrid, which I absolutely love, and it's got a much deeper face; altogether a different design in the hybrid than fairway metals (3, 5, etc.).

So, what do you use?

Any suggestions welcome.

Bought a replacement a couple weeks ago and am happy with the decision.

I got a GBB 3-wood with a 50g Kuro Kage shaft. Based on the fitting, I've adjusted it to 17 degress loft/draw (technically a 4-wood I suppose). It's working well for me so far; able to get to long Par-4s more easily & some Par-5s in two now.

I got yelled at by an old fart last night (not in my foursome) to turn down my zz top music

"dude, is that against the rules?"

it's golf league for crying out loud - if it's going to take me 3 hours to play 9 holes there will be zz top involved

Arizona here also: never came across a rattler on the course, but came across a Gila Monster. Looking up under/against some rocks (for my ball, of course) and there it was. Only GM I have ever encountered in 28 years in AZ.

Don't get too close......

it's golf league for crying out loud - if it's going to take me 3 hours to play 9 holes there will be zz top involved

You have more patience that I do, it would take a hell of a lot more than zz top to keep me out there if it was taking 3 hours to play 9 holes.

You have more patience that I do, it would take a hell of a lot more than zz top to keep me out there if it was taking 3 hours to play 9 holes.

how about chatting with the beverage cart server and beer?

I don't think there is anything that I can think of that would make me want to take 3 hours to play 9 holes....oops, let me amend that.... perhaps if I had three very attractive and topless female playing partners. Ok, ok... I'm a guy...

Bucket list check off coming up: a group (8) going to Bandon Dunes 15+ years had a last minute opening. Leaving Friday. Plan is 18-36-18-18 +short game (13 hole par 3?) course.

Hope the back holds up. Glad I lost 30 lbs last year cuz it's all walking.

Bucket list check off coming up: a group (8) going to Bandon Dunes 15+ years had a last minute opening. Leaving Friday. Plan is 18-36-18-18 +short game (13 hole par 3?) course.

Hope the back holds up. Glad I lost 30 lbs last year cuz it's all walking.

Gary-

You'll have a blast! Five rounds + Bandon Preserve is a good schedule; plus, the weather should be decent this time of year (forecast for this coming Friday-Monday is sunny & mid-60s daily high). :dance:

You should also plan some time @ The Punchbowl; it's the 18 hole putting green (I use 'green' loosely, as it's about the size of a football field with moguls that belong on a ski slope) and, most importantly, the 'tee-box' for each hole has a beer cup holder, and they have green-side drink service. :D

In addition to all the courses, BD has the best practice facility I've ever seen! It's something to behold. I'd highly recommend you spend quite a bit of time around the practice greens on the first day, especially with the low approaches required by links-style golf; it'll pay off.

Hope you have a great time & we'd like a full report when you return. :greetings10:

I got close to a HIO yesterday @ Peacock Gap. It's an elevated tee so, we all watched it roll ~15 ft right at the cup...and just behind. :(

Maybe soon.

Hit the flag stick today on #17 @ Diablo Creek (short Par-3); ended up with a 5-footer & made the birdie putt.

A guy in our Wednesday group (4-some in front of us) did have his first HIO today. Mmmm, I like beer! :clap:

I'm choosing to interpret all this as further evidence that I'm zeroing in on my first HIO. :rolleyes:

I saw something on fb that if you play all 72 at bandon they pay you $100!

I saw something on fb that if you play all 72 at bandon they pay you $100!

I do know that when we went in 2015, all golf after the second round of the day was free for the remainder of the day. It might be possible to get in 54 if you start early & play relatively fast; 13hrs of sunlight this time of year.

I think a twosome just did it today. Caddie looked beat. 30 miles of walking?

on my bucket list now.

if you play old mac - jake sestero is my old club pro

Last edited:
I love links golf!

Bandon trip has one day to go.

Got in Saturday 1:00 pm. Played the Preserve, a 13 hole par 3 course, and did the " punch bowl", a putting green with 36+ holes on it.

Played 36 Sunday, Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails, followed by 18 at Pacific Trails Monday, with a massage after Monday's round. Finish up with Old Mac today.

Have had same caddy for all three rounds (just carried ourselves/pushcart on par 3), who does great job reading greens, telling you where to hit it.

Food is OK, but it's great having everything right here, vs going to Scotland where you've got to spend a lot of time in transit.

Rates this time of year are $100 for par 3, $270 for others, but we are only paying 1/2 that as the guy who organized has some sort of connection. Caddies get $100 per bag per 18.

Weather has been mid 60's, sunny, with wind to 15-20 mph, although today has chance of rain.

Oh, and I'm playing as good as I ever have, shooting 73-75-74 so far. First two days, I virtually hit everything where the caddy told me (16 greens in the 73), and scrambled like crazy, making everything inside 10 feet in the third round.

Highly recommend if you have a group of guys who really really love golf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom