Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say I've tried this. From Bay Hill yesterday.

My DF would have loved that! As he had less interest in the game in later years, he was a better ball hawk. He and the 5' gator down at the pond would spar. Gotta love a 90 yo who's willing to fight a gator for a ball.

My DF would have loved that! As he had less interest in the game in later years, he was a better ball hawk. He and the 5' gator down at the pond would spar. Gotta love a 90 yo who's willing to fight a gator for a ball.

I wonder... what does the gator do with that precious ball?

Sorry for the rant on my last post. Still not playing much but playing better.

One day best ball (fourball) Member-Member yesterday. Started off chunking a chip after pin hi in 2 on a par five, bogeyed 5 of 1st 7 holes, but didn't get upset, bounced back with 2nd in lifetime 4 consecutive birdies, adding another later to shoot 73 and our team took 2nd place.

Golf.

Sorry for the rant on my last post. Still not playing much but playing better.

One day best ball (fourball) Member-Member yesterday. Started off chunking a chip after pin hi in 2 on a par five, bogeyed 5 of 1st 7 holes, but didn't get upset, bounced back with 2nd in lifetime 4 consecutive birdies, adding another later to shoot 73 and our team took 2nd place.

Golf.

Congrats!

We had a Master's tournament at the club this weekend. Each two man team picks a pro from the upper half of those who make the cut and one from the lower half.

Sat is two man scramble, Sunday two man best ball. We shot 66 net on Sat, 62 net on Sunday and combined with our two pro's Saturday and Sunday scores (Rose and Snedeker) won the tournament by three shots!:dance:

Our prize: $900 and the green jackets for a year.:cool:

We had a Master's tournament at the club this weekend. Each two man team picks a pro from the upper half of those who make the cut and one from the lower half.

Sat is two man scramble, Sunday two man best ball. We shot 66 net on Sat, 62 net on Sunday and combined with our two pro's Saturday and Sunday scores (Rose and Snedeker) won the tournament by three shots!:dance:

Our prize: $900 and the green jackets for a year.:cool:

Outstanding Rocky! Good on ya!

Speaking of The Masters...How 'bout that Masters! What a great finish. I was happy to see Sergio win his first Major.

Well, we're having some sunny days now in NorCal so, able to get out & play some...finally!

But, it seems that many/most courses in our area have recently aerated so, bumpy, slow greens. What I dislike most about that is it's hard to know how well I'm putting. :(

So, I suppose I need to spend more time on my little home practice green. 'Big Moss' here I come. :D

They punched our greens Monday. I'll play my regular 5pm Friday game and early this weekend. They usually do a good job punching so I'm expecting everything to be back to normal before league starts next week. We had a sneak preview of our new back 9 Saturday that won't open for another two months. They deleted two holes and replaced them with two new ones - one uphill 415 yd par 4 with water and OB and a 550 yard par 5 against the wind with water and OB. This is from the blue tees, the blacks are farther back. It may be the most difficult back 9 in the PNW. I'm expecting some of the older dudes may have to play off the whites as some of the holes now have significant forced carries from the blues.

Have fun!

Last edited:
We have a great event at our club today. "Tee it up for Troops". Four man scramble with service member as 5th. Some disabled others current military. Dove release, five star family, bagpipes, flyover with vintage planes, lunch, dinner and silent/live auctions.

Full day but well worth it.:D

We have a great event at our club today. "Tee it up for Troops". Four man scramble with service member as 5th. Some disabled others current military. Dove release, five star family, bagpipes, flyover with vintage planes, lunch, dinner and silent/live auctions.

Full day but well worth it.:D

that sounds awesome - golf really contributes to society IMO

Kiawah

Headed to Kiawah Island this week for an annual golf trip. 🏌️⛳

We take 8 golfers & play 6 rounds in 4 days. The weather forecast is excellent; hope it stays that way. Really looking forward to it; great courses, including The Ocean Course. :dance:

We take 8 golfers & play 6 rounds in 4 days. The weather forecast is excellent; hope it stays that way. Really looking forward to it; great courses, including The Ocean Course. :dance:

Good trip. That's a lot of golf in 4 days. That would wear me out.

What happened to golf etiquette? I always thought it was customary that if someone in your group hits a wild shot into the woods/desert you go over and give them a hand looking for it. That's how I always play it. Last week I was playing a round at the club with three other members that's aren't part of my regular group. One hole is a short par 4 playing down wind that I can come close to reaching but I pushed my drive to the right of the green into the desert area. I'm looking for my ball and look up to see where my playing partners are and they are all standing next to the green looking at me. Not one of them made an effort to come over and help. Normally I wouldn't waste a lot of time looking but it pissed me off so made sure to spend the full 5 minutes looking.

+1 if someone I was playing with was having trouble finding a lost ball I would go over and help look for it... whether they were one of my regular playing partner or not... to both keep play moving and I may want their help later on.

I wonder if your going for the green on a par 4 might have factored into their behavior?

That is rude. I have not experienced that, but I did have a couple guys sign up on the tee time that I had and then basically ignored me the entire time. It was odd. In all other cases most strangers have been pretty nice, helpful, etc.

Yes, that is rude. Sometimes in our group of 4 there will be one that goes ahead and plays a shot while the other two helps in the search. But we never leave someone alone in their search.

I pretty much agree with helping each other out ball hunting with the exception of the guy that always wants to out drive everyone else, goes for the par 5s in two and always ends up in the woods or OB. Spending five hours for 18 holes and one of those hours ball hunting, does not make for a fun round and does affect pace of play and concentration. Just my two cents.

I play pretty much with the same 12-16 guys week in and week out and we all are respectful of each other. Nothing worse than some idiot that steps on your line, puts his shadow over your line, is a motor mouth on the tee and rattles his clubs around in the bag when someone else is hitting. Guys like this don't last long or get invites back.

Last edited:
That is rude. I have not experienced that, but I did have a couple guys sign up on the tee time that I had and then basically ignored me the entire time. It was odd. In all other cases most strangers have been pretty nice, helpful, etc.

not cool - can you PM me who it was?

Spending five hours for 18 holes and one of those hours ball hunting, does not make for a fun round and does affect pace of play and concentration. Just my two cents.

We finished in 3hr15min so I don't think pace of play was an issue, anything over 4 hours is considered slow around here.

We finished in 3hr15min so I don't think pace of play was an issue, anything over 4 hours is considered slow around here.

This was a hilly course with blind shots on every other hole. Usually we knock out 18 in about three and a half hours unless it is cart path only or 90 degree rule.

Had great weather, the courses were in excellent shape (3 of 4 having recently been completely refurbished), and all 8 of us had lots of fun. I wish I'd played better; average score was 4-5 strokes per round higher than my home courses. But, I had a blast; even won a bit of $$$ on the course (partners carried me) & at the poker table (good fortune). :D

We've been doing this trip for 14 yrs, and the consensus this year seemed to be that we will play 5 rounds next year instead of 6. We're all a bit older & stiffer than we used to be. :(

Attachments

• 17A9E878-C325-40B5-B6E8-6E4747AAE41A.jpeg
    17A9E878-C325-40B5-B6E8-6E4747AAE41A.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 10
Sounds like a great trip. I agree w the 18/day, with maybe an early 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom