Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I collect the found balls in a pocket on my golf bag. When I don't feel like buying or hitting an entire bucket before a round, I'll knock 5 or 6 drivers out on the range.

Seeking Advice

I hit my Callaway Fusion driver well (75% FIRs) but, not far (~220 yds). I also have an old Cleveland Launcher 2-hybrid (18*) that I love & hit well (~180 yds). BUT, I can’t hit my Callaway (or, evidently any) 3-wood very well at all; also had problems with my previous TM 3-wood. I even have my current 3-wood adjusted to a 4-wood & still can’t hit it well so, it stays in the bag most of the time.

Any thoughts on how to fill the gap btwn my Driver & 2-hybrid? I seem to like the hybrid head shape; is there a stronger hybrid that will fill the gap? Or, another head shape?

I hit my Callaway Fusion driver well (75% FIRs) but, not far (~220 yds). I also have an old Cleveland Launcher 2-hybrid (18*) that I love & hit well (~180 yds). BUT, I can’t hit my Callaway (or, evidently any) 3-wood very well at all; also had problems with my previous TM 3-wood. I even have my current 3-wood adjusted to a 4-wood & still can’t hit it well so, it stays in the bag most of the time.

Any thoughts on how to fill the gap btwn my Driver & 2-hybrid? I seem to like the hybrid head shape; is there a stronger hybrid that will fill the gap? Or, another head shape?

Choke up on the driver or hit the 2-hybrid further back in your stance? I do that often when I am between clubs. Might work if you are comfortable hitting the driver off the deck.

I've gotten rid of my fairway wood. 9 degree driver then 2 Mizuno hybrids (16+19) that are adjustable 2 degree either way. 16 adjusted to 14 (although I moved it up to 15 this morning) and I left the 19 at 19. The course is really dry right now and if you are hitting down with the hybrid I have no trouble hitting the 14 hybrid low and running. During the winter I will move the 14 up to 16 and the 19 up to 20/21. I prefer keeping the ball a little lower.

I think I have an old Cleveland 15.5* hybrid. I’ll dig it out and check it. Didn’t really work for me.

I've gotten rid of my fairway wood. 9 degree driver then 2 Mizuno hybrids (16+19) that are adjustable 2 degree either way. 16 adjusted to 14 (although I moved it up to 15 this morning) and I left the 19 at 19. The course is really dry right now and if you are hitting down with the hybrid I have no trouble hitting the 14 hybrid low and running. During the winter I will move the 14 up to 16 and the 19 up to 20/21. I prefer keeping the ball a little lower.

I think I have an old Cleveland 15.5* hybrid. I’ll dig it out and check it. Didn’t really work for me.

Thx much. Club generation/name would be good; pics would be fantastic.

Also, why do most golfers balk at spending relatively big bucks on a putter but lay down big bucks on a driver? When the driver is used maybe 14 times and the putter over 30 times during a round.
I don’t disagree, but I’d argue that argument overstates putting. If you have 36 putts, about half of them should be tap ins, where almost any putter would do. In any event, lots of putts are very short, so you may hit your driver and putter about the same number of challenging strokes. FWIW

My 19 hybrid is a Mizuno JPX900 series which I liked but when I got rid of my 5 wood and replaced it with the 16 degree I couldn't easily find another 900 series. The new models are called CLK. There are plenty of reviews on YouTube on pretty well any golf club. My driver is a Ping G400 SFT and before I bought the 16 degree (which in my head I just think of it as a 14 degree) the pro shop let me take the 3 wood SFT out on a round. When I hit it well it definitely went further.....it also went bad further as well. I hit the hybrids much more consistently so I chose to go that direction.

This YouTube review is on the CLK
, but there are other great clubs out there. If you are spending a decent amount of money, I don't think there are too many clubs out there that aren't good anymore.....just too competitive.

I bought this used a couple of years back. Here are some pics.

Cleveland Mashie 15.5* loft, regular flex shaft

Attachments

• 6808F3FF-D69A-4F7C-A991-D7A8B6E07BB4.jpg
    6808F3FF-D69A-4F7C-A991-D7A8B6E07BB4.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 60D2F020-43D9-42CD-929D-278F37D32916.jpg
    60D2F020-43D9-42CD-929D-278F37D32916.jpg
    589.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 83E77D20-6D79-40E0-881C-BB7AC977F7A0.jpg
    83E77D20-6D79-40E0-881C-BB7AC977F7A0.jpg
    536 KB · Views: 20
Drove over to American Golf in York this morning......I spent a lot of money. 4-W with Recoil shafts in the new Ping i500 and 2 new Ping stealth wedges 52+60. They don't come out until 31 July so I won't see them for at least a week.

I damaged my RBZ stage 2 driver two weeks ago in a golf tournament (not anger related I just dropped it accidentally) so I got a Wilson Staff Triton Driver XStiff 10.5 for $140 shipped

https://www.budgetgolf.com/wilson-staff-triton-driver.html

I haven't even messed with the settings on it but it goes straight every time even when I put a crappy swing on it - can't wait to start messing with the settings!

Huh?............. if it goes straight every time even when you put a crappy swing on it why would you even touch the settings?

Of course :facepalm: ... why didn't I think of that!

I'd like to get it a tad lower, the loft is set at 10.5 I'd like to take it down to 9.5 and adjust the perimeter weights a bit more to lower the ball flight

Not that swing speed is the sole determinant, but you must have a pretty high swing speed for this crowd to be optimized at 9.5 degrees. More power to you (pun intended)...

well it does have an adila silver xstiff shaft.... js

btw the adila shaft on that driver is about $120 by itself so that driver for $140 is a huge bargain - yes I bought two of them

Got a Mizuno 16* hybrid (demo club on sale) & played 9 holes with it yesterday; adjusted to 14*. Jury’s still out but, I think it’s a keeper.

Thx to all for the advice.

I have to express some frustration. I set up a golf junket up to the U.P. for next week. I set up a 15 passenger bus for transportation (6 hours from Minneapolis), prepared prizes and games, and made all room reservations. Today THREE people backed out. One broke his arm (he's forgiven). The other two people I don't even know. One of said he was too busy at work. The other won't go without #2.

I've set up golf junkets almost every year for the last 10, and it happens almost every single time. Why people care less about their confirmed commitments is frustrating as hell.

I have to express some frustration. I set up a golf junket up to the U.P. for next week. I set up a 15 passenger bus for transportation (6 hours from Minneapolis), prepared prizes and games, and made all room reservations. Today THREE people backed out. One broke his arm (he's forgiven). The other two people I don't even know. One of said he was too busy at work. The other won't go without #2.

I've set up golf junkets almost every year for the last 10, and it happens almost every single time. Why people care less about their confirmed commitments is frustrating as hell.

When I was a working stiff a friend would set up an annual, week golf trip. Being in Ohio the the trip was usually in Florida during February. One person took care of the whole deal; flights, hotel, tee times and we each would give him a grand up front to cover deposits. Usually two guys would fly down a day early and rent vans to pick us up at the airport. Always a great time and no one ever backed out once they had skin in the game.

+1 until thay have paid at least a non-refundable deposit then they are not signed up... if someone had a legit back out... like the guy that broke his arm, then IF you can recoup money from the vendors then he mght get a refund (but it is a slipery slope and sometimes it is best to just have a policy that if you don't show for any reason then you are out of luck and have any recoupments from vendors go into the kitty for the next year).

+1 until thay have paid at least a non-refundable deposit then they are not signed up... if someone had a legit back out... like the guy that broke his arm, then IF you can recoup money from the vendors then he mght get a refund (but it is a slipery slope and sometimes it is best to just have a policy that if you don't show for any reason then you are out of luck and have any recoupments from vendors go into the kitty for the next year).

+2

Yep. This is the last year for me setting up this group. We have a Florida / Mexico group and a northern Minnesota group that never has a problem.

When talking to another attendee today, he said "it's going to be tough to invite those two back next year". I damn near choked him through the phone line. Tough? How about instead those two are never invited to anything ever again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom