Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife claims that I can remember every shot from every round I've ever played. :rolleyes: But she exaggerates greatly - only the memorable rounds, by definition.

Honestly, I find that the memory of an entire round fades after a couple of days, but I can still remember in detail how I played certain holes, good and bad, after several years. Maybe 8 or 10 holes at Bandon Dunes fit that. I can clearly remember the shots to the 17th hole at TPC Sawgrass. A couple of tournament rounds from many years ago.

I still shoot too many shots to remember them all. I golf with guys that remember a lot of their round, but I generally don’t. A few years back, I started playing the same course most of the time. That helps me remember generally what’s coming up, but once I’ve played a round, unless it was a great (lucky) shot, I don’t really recall much of my round. I remember my score for about a day, after that, I just remember if it’s over or under my average.

I play regularly twice a week, pretty much shoot in the 80s and can remember about two to four really good shots during any round. As a side note played yesterday in 95 degree heat and it was brutal for this old man.

I play twice a week, including yesterday at 95 degrees. I am like Jerry1 and don't remember my shots for very long. I have a Monday average of 77 on a fairly easy course where I am a member. Putting is always my nemesis. I played once a week for years when I was working. I would play more now if not for a shoulder impingement that causes some pain- golden years.......

VW

Yesterday.... the "bad" guy showed up on the front nine... he had a hard time doing anything right.... +5 net......... then the "good" guy appeared out of nowhere on the back nine... had a sandy, a birdie and won closest to the pin on a ~160 yd par 3.... -5 net.

Funny game... on Tuesday I was -4/+4 net and yesterday I was +5/-5 net.

Good for him and the game. I was surprised that he came so close to winning the FedEx Cup as well. One stroke it turned out.

It was a great win after all of his health issues. It is good for the game to have him contending again.

Just a reminder.... Ryder Cup is on. A blessing after watching the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings yesterday.

I'm organizing a Ryder Cup competition at our club. We've got 12 guys, 1.2-8.1 index, pairings and teams by index, 6 holes Fourball, 6 hole Singles, 6 holes foursomes. 1 pt per hole, 1 pt per format winner. Should be fun.

The Champion Golfer of the Year!

I played yesterday in a small tourney organized by my former employer & won ‘Low Net’ with a 69! :dance: So, I had to come here & brag about it a bit. :D

I was surprised that 69 won but, gladly accepted the golf store gift certificate. We played at The Presidio Golf Course in SF, which I think is beautiful, and had a nice (but windy*) day.

* I knew it was windy when my playing partner, originally from Wyoming, said, “Man, it’s windy!”

Ryder Cup comment, damnit anyways !
Lots of interesting matches, but some disappointing performances on both sides. I was afraid Tiger, Phil and DeChambeau wouldn’t show well - and they didn’t, all with zero points. Molinari was incredible, as were Fleetwood and Stenson. No European player was shut out, they all contributed to the final winning score.

Last edited:
Lots of interesting matches, but some disappointing performances on both sides. I was afraid Tiger, Phil and DeChambeau wouldn’t show well - and they didn’t, all with zero points. Molinari was incredible, as were Fleetwood and Stenson. No European player was shut out, they all contributed to the final winning score.

Incomprehensible how Tiger, one of the best Match play players ever in his youth (as evidenced by his SIX(?) consecutive USGA championships in Jr Am and US Am), could be such a bust in Ryder Cup.

Incomprehensible how Tiger, one of the best Match play players ever in his youth (as evidenced by his SIX(?) consecutive USGA championships in Jr Am and US Am), could be such a bust in Ryder Cup.

There are lots of athletes that just “lose it” after a certain period. Pretty commonplace really.

There are lots of athletes that just “lose it” after a certain period. Pretty commonplace really.
I’m not a Tiger fan, but he was unable to play for several years, had three back surgeries preceding the 2017 fusion surgery, and it takes a long time to recover from that. He has said he’s had to alter his swing to accommodate the new back, that takes time for anyone, but especially someone trying to compete at the top of the golf world. I doubt most people could or would come as far as Tiger has so far. But time/age is not on his side as he’s acknowledged.

I'd credit DeChambeau with 1/4 of a point.... absent that incredible, long birdie putt on 18 that Noren drained he would have had a half a point.

I hate to say it but Phil just doesn't have it to be competitive based on results from last season... a very questionable captain's pick.

A first for this hacker, where I almost always comfort my bad game with "at least the scenery is nice." :) Played 2 courses for the first time in the past week and shot under 100 on both of them. Not nearly as good as most of you folks, but for me that is a miracle. :D

A first for this hacker, where I almost always comfort my bad game with "at least the scenery is nice." :) Played 2 courses for the first time in the past week and shot under 100 on both of them. Not nearly as good as most of you folks, but for me that is a miracle. :D

I don’t know about most folks, but I’ve been breaking under 100 pretty consistently this year for the first time and I’m pretty happy about that. Congratulations. It gets easier to break it once you know you can. Now I expect it from myself. Striving for my first time to hit something in the 80’s.

I will say, for me, one of the main things that helps is recognizing that when I’m in trouble, to take a safe shot and get back on the fairway. Face it, I’m not going to hit the green from 150 yards out sitting in the rough with the ball sitting down deep. Better to tak an iron and set up a shot to get on with the next shot.

I don’t know about most folks, but I’ve been breaking under 100 pretty consistently this year for the first time and I’m pretty happy about that. Congratulations. It gets easier to break it once you know you can. Now I expect it from myself. Striving for my first time to hit something in the 80’s.

I will say, for me, one of the main things that helps is recognizing that when I’m in trouble, to take a safe shot and get back on the fairway. Face it, I’m not going to hit the green from 150 yards out sitting in the rough with the ball sitting down deep. Better to tak an iron and set up a shot to get on with the next shot.

I think ‘taking your medicine’ helps the score at any level.

Good on ya!

BTW, I did exactly that today on both 17 & 18 after poor drives on both. Carded two bogeys instead of something worse.

+1, even tour pros have to hit recovery shots at times. It’s part of the game. People who always go for improbable hero shots score worse on that hole more often than not. I’d rather settle for a bogey than hope to save par only to score a double or triple bogey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom