How often do people tell you that you are too young to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this a LOT at work the last few weeks. I'd attribute most of it to envy. Most are probably thinking to themselves, "how did he manage to retire at that age".

In response to questions after being introduced as "he's retired" I may discuss any of the following:

I'll mention that with my various volunteer responsibilities it seems similar to work - deliverables, timelines, personal high standard for performance etc.

I'll mention that we have no kids so it is easier for us

I'll mention that we have aging parents that need more assistance (DW and I are both only children)

I'll mention that we lost two other parents since RE'ing.

I'll mention that we much prefer buying experiences than things

I'll reference the pride we take in driving and repairing vehicles 10-20 years old

I'll mention workplace induced anxiety taking a toll on my health

I'll mention the 1 year unpaid leave of absence that I took to care for my mother post-spinal surgery and how after 1 year away I had no desire to return.

I'll mention on how when I was away they froze my DB pension so my retirement benefits will not be effected one bit if I were to continue to work or not.

I'll mention that the conventional wisdom that you need 80-100% of pre-retirement to retire does not apply if you have a higher than normal level of savings rate.

I'll mention that I am past the sweet-spot on the Social Security lifetime earnings curve (ie 2nd break point) so additional working for SS benefits is not rational.

I will often be drinking a beer during these discussion so it may be more light-heated than normal encounters.

With DW still working, I knew early in the process that both of us would be exposed to these types of questions and have to have responses thought through in advance.

DW was especially concerned but we came up with the answer of "I'll be evaluating it as we go" when faced with the question of "What do you think about him not working?"

-gauss

Last edited:
I tend to fudge the response a bit but when folks in my previous profession ask me, I tell them straight up. Most often I get a look of admiration and then questions about how the he## I managed it.

I used to say "I'm a stay at home mom to two young dogs". People don't ask anymore, guess they figure I am lucky to still be standing.

I've gotten "You're too young to retire" a couple of times.

Once, I responded with "Oh, how old do you have to be?"

He said, "Hmmm. I guess you're right!"
--
Wayne.

Getting this question less often now but I usually replied by saying "how old do you have to be"? That usually resulted in a follow up that was easier to deal with. People would ask what I do all day, don't I miss the interaction with people at work, or aren't you worried about running out of money?

"I help 30-something millionaires enjoy their money and their lives more". I actually started a consulting side hustle and that's my typical client so I'm not lying (except I spend 0-5 hrs/month consulting). :) You could use that line even if your sole client is yourself (well maybe make it 40-something or 50-something or whatever age you are at the moment).

Every year, we go on a trip with 2 other couples and it's always a good time. The first one we took, I had been retired for about 5 months and the entire trip was me "teaching" the others how to maximize their relaxation time. There were strict rules: no watches, no internet, NOTHING that could be construed as w*rk; you get the point. About 3 days into it, I started calling it the "Life of Leisure Institute." We thought about how we could convince people to spend good $$$ on coming to our "retreats" to learn how to truly relax. I think it could be a very successful business, but alas..it would be w*rk, so I am already disqualified.I guess I could call myself "Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute." Actually...I think that's a great signature line! :D

I got this a LOT at work the last few weeks. I'd attribute most of it to envy. Most are probably thinking to themselves, "how did he manage to retire at that age".

I figured this would be the case, so I only told a few people at w*rk after my resignation. I'm sure the true story has leaked out by now, but I don't have much contact after almost 2 years out. Too busy living life!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Absolutely. What's worst, I have old coworkers who insist on giving me job "leads".

:mad:

Yep. Former coworkers and my BIL (who I worked with 20 years ago and still works in the same industry) regularly send me job listings or suggest I talk to so-and-so about a new position.

I was 52 when I retired... and I still don't have much grey hair... so I get questions a lot.

In my experience, at least 90% who say I am too young to retire are really jealous.

I was talking to another early retired person who got out of the workplace at sixty and he told me that if one more person tells him he is too young to retire, there is going to be a murder!

He told me in complete furious anger that he has now decided to change the subject when strangers at social events ask him what he does for a living. He used to tell them with a smile on his face that he was retired. They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.

Is this your experience in live after fire?

Retiring at age 60 is really close to the normal ball park retirement age For people that planned and saved properly for retirement
Sounds kind of strange that he would have furious anger Towards strangers who act surprised about a 60-year-old man being retired In 2016

I don't know anyone that would tell a 60-year-old man that you are way too young to retire .

Considering this guy can take 401(k) withdrawals now without penalty since he is passed age 59 1/2 I think the IRS would agree also that he's not too young to retire

And access to Social Security is not far away

So what planet do the social events take place on?

Last edited:
Better to be asked "aren't you too young to retire?" than "Aren't you too old to be working"!

I find most people that make this comment can't think beyond their little bubble. They have a view of how things should be and can't imagine that things might be different for someone else. I have messed up their view of reality!! Shame on me!!

One problem in saying "I'm a consultant" is that sometimes nosy people get more inquisitive and want to know what kind of consulting work we do.

Tell them the "agency" doesn't allow you to discuss such matters. Then mumble something about witness protection...

When people say you are too young to retire, that is a compliment. Just like to tell a 40 years old woman that she looks like 20 years old. You are too young to be 40.

"I'm taking a break. Several times in my career I've saved up money and taken a sabbatical, and gone back to work later."

Then the conversation is about what I did on sabbatical (not much, sorry!) or what I'm up to now. It's truthful, and a much easier conversation than talking about how much money I must have if I've retired early.

But if it's been too long to be on break, I may have other posters here to thank when I start saying that I'm a consultant.

As we all know, it is not the norm to retire at anything much before the mid 50's at the earliest. When talking to someone who is younger than that and finding that they are retired, most people are going to throw out a partially thought-out response, such as "How did you manage that?" or "You're too young to retire!" I imagine most of these comments were cooked up in a very short space of time, in response to information they are not used to being presented with ("I'm retired, and I'm under 55"). Shortly after making these types of comments, I'd bet that most folk forget them and move on to thinking about much more important things, such as when they get off work, what they're going to eat for dinner tonight, or whether that cutie in the next department really did smile at them, and what that might mean.

In short, I don't think others are thinking about us as much as we'd like to think they are. Yet, we find plenty of ways to imagine that they are, and talk about it in this online forum :LOL:

Most people are envious that I was blessed to retire at age 55.

Sort of related, when I got the "you're too young to retire," or, "how were you able to it?" I simply said I was fortunate. Nearly all of the time that ended further discussion on the matter.

I thought 46 was too young to retire. But then I thought if I can do it , who's to say I can't? Hardly anyone has asked me anything about it and I do not tell anyone anything. It's not a good subject. That said I don't look that old so maybe everyone thinks I can't find a job. Either way I don't lose sleep over it.

In my 50's I looked forward to the day someone would say, "You look too old to be retired!" to which I could reply, "And you look to old to be working!" But OMY intervened and now it'll never happen. :(

Quite regularly I do have folks ask what I used to do or what I do now. I don't look at it as nosiness. I just think many people are helped by having a mental picture of me (or anyone else) as "that guy who used be a blah blah for the blah blah, etc." I'm honest knowing they'll probably forget the details anyway and, at the most, will just remember that "he used to do some kind of engineering work".

As for what I do with my time now? Yes, I can tire of that one. But still, I don't read anything into it. UNLESS someone makes the rash assumption that I must feel unproductive, unchallenged, or bored and takes it upon his/herself to solve my "problem" by finding things for me to do. I shut that down as politely as possible. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they can detect a temperature rise and realize they've stepped over a line. And that's ok by me.

I know that in other parts of the world, asking someone what they do for a living is considered impolite, but in the U.S. it is extremely common, almost to the point where it's unusual not to hear it when meeting someone for the first time.
While I don't consider it terribly offensive, the question does seem rather tacky. It necessarily implies that one is a mere 'wage slave' who has no choice but to toil away at some drudge vocation.

"How do you spend your time?" is a much better question, IMHO.

P.S. Worth reading: Life's Most Dangerous Question.

Last edited:
Up until very recently, I always used the phrase "semi-retired" as I do work about 3 months each year in a seasonal accounting job (tax season). If asked any further, I just say firm was downsizing and made a good early retirement offer....which is exactly what happened. If they said anything about being too young, I took it as a compliment and would comment that I look younger than I look, which is/was also very true as they are usually very surprised when/if they ever learn my age.

But in last five years, I guess I'm starting to look more like a senior, hair turned completely gray, skin is changing, and I even noticed how tired I felt at the end of my 20 mile bicycle ride yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom