How often do people tell you that you are too young to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear it fairly often. Thought it was meant as a compliment. Maybe you should look at it that way.

Never. Though I don't really tell a lot of strangers that I'm retired (many times I slip that I "run a website", "consult", or "stay at home with the kids"). I think I'm also waaaay too young to retire so it doesn't even make sense or they think I'm full of BS.

lol

I had to wait until 55 so my company paid pension and health insurance kicked in. The timing was perfect... I retired at a time when my company had both a pension and a matching 401K and paid all health insurance cost in retirement. That company no longer has all those benefits for newer employees.

Mine too, but they made a special exception for extra dead wood and gave me a special early at 54. Ditto on benefits for newer employees. We made out like bandits.

I'm 51 and retiring by end of this year. When people ask what I do? I'll tell them I do 'IT'. But IT after 12/31 will mean International Travel...:) My current profession is in IT(Information Technology) so it'll go along nicely with people I already know.

Last edited:
Mine too, but they made a special exception for extra dead wood and gave me a special early at 54. Ditto on benefits for newer employees. We made out like bandits.

We were blessed.

If your company was like mine... most retirees were a totally different demographic.

" The times they are achangin'... "

My stock answer was always "I'm trying to be retired, but people keep asking me to consult." That has always been accepted and almost never leads to follow-up questions.

However, since the people asking me to consult are usually startups that are not making a profit yet, I don't bill them for my time, but it still counts as consulting, and it's only a few hours a month as a rule.

The few that are actually profitable concerns get billed, but that has never amounted to more than a few thousand bucks a year. I firmly turn down any greater involvement than that.

We were blessed.

If your company was like mine... most retirees were a totally different demographic.

" The times they are achangin'... "

Yes they are. Megacorps have no desire or incentive to give packages. Layoffs for the 50+ set are getting brutal with very little banditry.

I FIRED in my 40's and really look "too young to retire", but I've been told that by only one person out of the almost 2 dozen people I've told. About half of the people don't know what to say, so it's probably good that they usually don't say anything. The other half is very impressed, but we quickly move on to topics more accessible to all! A rare few have asked more detailed followup questions, and I try to oblige.

Based on what I've read before FIRE, I expect more adverse/annoying reactions, but I've been pleasantly surprised. I thought I'd make something up like "private equity manager", but I just say "I'm retired". We know most of our friends from church or a kayak club. Fortunately, no one really cares what anyone does for a living and we just enjoy each other's company.

I was 58- 4 years ago when I semi-retired so has not been an issue.

Don't we all consult to ourselves, especially if we are managing our finances? I say that is an answer that will pass the truth test.

One problem in saying "I'm a consultant" is that sometimes nosy people get more inquisitive and want to know what kind of consulting work we do.

That's when you slam 'em with;

"None of your business, you think I want competition from you?"

One problem in saying "I'm a consultant" is that sometimes nosy people get more inquisitive and want to know what kind of consulting work we do.

"I help 30-something millionaires enjoy their money and their lives more". I actually started a consulting side hustle and that's my typical client so I'm not lying (except I spend 0-5 hrs/month consulting). :) You could use that line even if your sole client is yourself (well maybe make it 40-something or 50-something or whatever age you are at the moment).

I've been told that I look too young too retire...I left at 53 back in spring, but I'm fit with a full head of non-grey hair and look younger :LOL:

If they're older, I just throw it back at them and ask them why they're still working.

I'm 68, and look it. Most of the people that ask me what I do are retired themselves. They're just making small talk. I tell them I'm a retired oceanographer, they ask me who I used to work for, and we chitchat for a while about my old job. Then I ask them what they used to do, and more chitchat goes on.

They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.
Those who are offending him by their responses sound like they are being purposely mean or nasty. I don't have to spend a lot of time around mean or nasty people these days.... because I'm RETIRED. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, it's irritating that people are so thoughtless. Why not say that's great, or congratulations, or wow, what do you do to keep busy, or similar responses that would facilitate conversation.

Various responses to the question:
  • Fresh air inspector
  • CEO (Chief Enjoyment Officer) at Layback and Seemore
  • Private Portfolio Manager
  • I'm independently wealthy

"I help 30-something millionaires enjoy their money and their lives more". I actually started a consulting side hustle and that's my typical client so I'm not lying (except I spend 0-5 hrs/month consulting). :) You could use that line even if your sole client is yourself (well maybe make it 40-something or 50-something or whatever age you are at the moment).

Although most of my consulting is to myself, I still have a small consulting gig (also about 0-5 hrs per month) that is an extension of my former job. All eminent domain stuff. So I go with "I help government agencies take people's property". That usually stops the questions.

Although most of my consulting is to myself, I still have a small consulting gig (also about 0-5 hrs per month) that is an extension of my former job. All eminent domain stuff. So I go with "I help government agencies take people's property". That usually stops the questions.

Nice. I used to be in that business with the Dept of Transportation's Attorney General's office. :) Nothing like taking people's stuff against their will.

I was talking to another early retired person who got out of the workplace at sixty and he told me that if one more person tells him he is too young to retire, there is going to be a murder!

He told me in complete furious anger that he has now decided to change the subject when strangers at social events ask him what he does for a living. He used to tell them with a smile on his face that he was retired. They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.

Is this your experience in live after fire?

Absolutely. What's worst, I have old coworkers who insist on giving me job "leads".

:mad:

How bout this: "I'm a securities portfolio investment manager".

Absolutely. What's worst, I have old coworkers who insist on giving me job "leads".

That dropped off after the first 6-12 months for me. I think that's when former contacts figured out I was for real. :)

I retired just after my 56th birthday. I had planned on 55, but deferred for a year as the great recession was just barely in the rear view mirror and we still had two homes.

I recall being at a social event when my SIL found out I was retiring and she exclaimed very loudly "But you're too young to retire!" and it was a bit embarrassing.... however, I have not got a lot of "you're too young to retire" since.

I'll concede that at first I was hesitant to describe myself as retired to people who I met, but I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all now. Interestingly, many of our new friends are retirees who we meet through our love of golf but many of them are 5 or more years older than us. All is good.

I recall being at a social event when my SIL found out I was retiring and she exclaimed very loudly "But you're too young to retire!" and it was a bit embarrassing.... however, I have not got a lot of "you're too young to retire" since.

Why is it embarrassing to retire early? You should be proud.

This thread makes me think of a t-shirt idea:

"Too young to retire, too old to work"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom