How often do people tell you that you are too young to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forced to Retire

Dryer sheet aficionado
I was talking to another early retired person who got out of the workplace at sixty and he told me that if one more person tells him he is too young to retire, there is going to be a murder!

He told me in complete furious anger that he has now decided to change the subject when strangers at social events ask him what he does for a living. He used to tell them with a smile on his face that he was retired. They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.

Is this your experience in live after fire?

Well, I'm in my late 40s and never say I am retired when someone asks "what do you do?". At my age a response like that would pretty much guarantee a string of further questions/comments that I typically want to avoid. So I just say I'm a consultant, which is actually true. I still do some technology consulting on an hourly basis for several companies, although it's very, very sporadic and part-time. I consider myself about 80% retired, but this concept seems almost impossible to understand for the vast majority of people out there.

It's a bit mind boggling, though, how someone retiring at 60 would get push-back from anyone about being too young to stop working. Sometimes it seems like a strange world we live in when someone gets judged for choosing to (and being able to afford to) live life on their own terms, especially after putting in decades of hard work in their chosen career.

I get that a lot and I'm fine with it. And, no one will ever be able to make me feel like a failure for retiring early! :)

I am planning ahead but as Sojourner mentions above, I plan to say I am a consultant when I call it quits at work. I probably will dabble in retirement and people will pay me so what the heck I'll consult a little... very little. Plus people will think I am less crazy for giving up a lucrative career if they think I just changed careers.

I just act a bit surprised, and then ask them if they plan on working until someone puts them in a box.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Someone snapped at me the last time I casually asked "what do you do?" after meeting him in an attempt to make idle chitchat and went on a tirade about how that's not important and a terrible thing to ask. So there's that response the OP could use :). When asked, I just say I'm retired and then usually get a followup about what I used to do. I would take "you're too young" as a compliment, but it's probably just a stock answer.

Well since my BF still works, I just get that look of "oh your one of those girls that live off your BF". Yep that's it, he's my sugar daddy... I just sit around and eat bon bons and have him go to work. or I say Im' a day trader.. people don't like day traders, it ends that conversation. .. then of course I have my ex co-workers who are waiting for me to come back to work any day now.. they just think I needed a some time away.. its like an extended vacation that I'll eventually get tired of.

Someone snapped at me the last time I casually asked "what do you do?" after meeting him in an attempt to make idle chitchat and went on a tirade about how that's not important and a terrible thing to ask.

Wow, that must have been a bit of a shock! I know that in other parts of the world, asking someone what they do for a living is considered impolite, but in the U.S. it is extremely common, almost to the point where it's unusual not to hear it when meeting someone for the first time. Hard to believe anyone would get so offended and outraged by such a casual, customary question.

I have been told this a few times since I retired 8 years ago at 45. It doesn't bother me in the least. I have replied a few times with this: "You know they say that youth is wasted on the young? Well, I say retirement is wasted on the old!" It gets a little laugh and we move to another topic.

Nobody has ever said that I'm too young to retire. Or suggested that I need to "do" something. But hey, I'm 61 and have grey hair, so I kinda "look" the part.

Nobody has ever said that I'm too young to retire. Or suggested that I need to "do" something. But hey, I'm 61 and have grey hair, so I kinda "look" the part.

I have grey hair too, so I usually get offered senior discounts, even though I'm under 60 and still don't consider myself a senior.
However I'll take a discount any time. :LOL:

I get that a lot and I'm fine with it. And, no one will ever be able to make me feel like a failure for retiring early! :)

Yep, I feel exactly the same! ;)

_B

I don't get asked that at all. But at 66, I suppose I'm "allowed" to be retired.

Most people are envious that I was blessed to retire at age 55.

I don't get asked as much as I used to. At first I got the "you're too young to retire" quite a bit. It got to be uncomfortable. Now to avoid uncomfortable conversation, I tell them that I'm a consultant. Which I am occasionally.

I don't get asked as much as I used to. At first I got the "you're too young to retire" quite a bit. It got to be uncomfortable. Now to avoid uncomfortable conversation, I tell them that I'm a consultant. Which I am occasionally.
Don't we all consult to ourselves, especially if we are managing our finances? I say that is an answer that will pass the truth test.

Before I retired (at age 60) I heard that a lot. Afterwards not so much. For the first few years after I retired people would often ask me "who I worked for". Now I don't hear that much either. Guess my age is showing.

I'm not. I retired at 54. :LOL:

lol

I had to wait until 55 so my company paid pension and health insurance kicked in. The timing was perfect... I retired at a time when my company had both a pension and a matching 401K and paid all health insurance cost in retirement. That company no longer has all those benefits for newer employees.

I'm not retired yet, but my plan is to say, "I'm the capital asset manager for a very small private organization."

I'm not retired yet, but my plan is to say, "I'm the capital asset manager for a very small private organization."

Good thinking !

CEO, CFO, COO and CCBW [Chief Cook and Bottle Washer]

I am also a consultant if anyone asks. I got tired of trying to "deal with their concern" when they would tell me, "Oh my! You will be bored; you HAVE to w*rk at your age; You mean you're actually unemployed...don't worry something will come along!" :mad: So...the consultant thing is just easier. I agree about your friend being 60 and getting push back...I can't understand that.

...Well, not to be a topper or anything... (see below) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom