What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
First flights on a new airplane, the Hobbyzone Champ S+ trainer that I intend to use teaching DW's grandnieces to fly R/C airplanes. I turned off all the bells & whistles because the area in the back yard isn't overly large and limiting the turn radii might cause an encounter with one of those airplane-eating trees. The beginner and intermediate modes limit the bank and dive/climb angles to keep trainees from getting disoriented.

The first flights with a new airplane are always a bit nerve-wracking because you don't always know what it's going to do or how it will respond to controls. Only once did I have one (the J-3) that was in trim right out of the box. The Champ was badly out of elevator trim and even with almost half down elevator at reduced throttle it was hard to get it to level out. With the motor off it still took down elevator to keep from stalling. After a half-dozen or so short flights I got all the trim issues dialed in.

I think it's going to be a good training airplane though because the thing flies SLOW! I mean, final approach is not much more than walking speed so it will be easy for a newbie to handle.

Placed my order this morning for a new Volvo in their Overseas Delivery Program. That gets you a custom-built vehicle at a nice discount. It also includes a pair of round trip tickets to Sweden (at no extra cost) so you can pick it up and drive it around in Europe. Then you turn it back in and they ship it to your local dealer. Fantastic program, and I'm grateful to Scrapr who first told me about it here. We'll be heading over there in a few months and since we've never been to Sweden we're really looking forward to it, even in the winter.

That's cool, braumeister!

I had a pretty typical Wednesday. 2.5 mile walk on the beach, then up to the pool for a water fitness class followed by 36 laps (a mile). Home, showered, then off to Costco. Barely got the groceries out away when my kids called to say robotics club was cancelled and I needed to pick them up early.

I've done enough for one day. Lol

Small Road trip

My sis and BIL are on a cruise that stops in Santa Barbara, which is about 45 miles from our home. DW wanted to take a small road trip with her new Mazda CX-5 (basically a computer on wheels). Her last car was a 1998 Cadillac, so she had a lot of learning to do. She set the cruise control to slow down if the car in front of hers slowed, which is a great feature. We also paired her new smartphone with the car so she can listen to Pandora while she drives.
It was a beautiful day to drive up the coast, and when we got to Santa Barbara, she pulled off the road in front of a French Bistro. In all her years as a teenager, she had wanted to eat there but never had the opportunity.
Anyway, the food was great, also great atmosphere and a very accommodating waiter.
After lunch, we drove to the Marina parking lot, and after a false start found where the cruise ship's tenders docked. We found a shady bench and waited for sis and BIL to return from a shore excursion.
We saw their bus pull up, and told them on the phone where we were. We had a nice visit with them, as I had not seen them since 2015 at my mother's funeral. I also gave my BIL 3 small bottles of special single malt scotch for him to enjoy on the rest of their cruise.
Our visit was cut short because they had to board the tender to return to the ship.
We drove back down the coast to our home at the end of a lovely day

Last edited:
Done nothing yet...but it's the Child Bride's* 65th birthday...maybe I'll put her to work packing for Sunday's departure.

(*Now that she's reached maturity perhaps we can walk down the street holding hands without someone yelling "Pervert" at me. :LOL: )

Went for my 10-year colonoscopy and was pronounced all-clean (again) but doc wants me to go on the 5-year plan as, since my first one, a cousin died of colorectal cancer. At least the prep was much easier than the last time.

Since I have a friend now dealing with rectal cancer that went to her lungs, and as doc reminded me, regular colonoscopies can actually prevent cancer (by removing pre-cancerous polyps), I'll go for it.

Worst part was that he no longer does early morning appointments so by the time I got there at 10:30 I already had a serious caffeine headache. I mentioned it to the nurse and she had a cup of black coffee waiting when I woke up.

We signed a purchase contract on a single family home at the Jersey Shore two blocks from the beach. Plan is to rent it out most of the summer season but save a couple of weeks for us. Got the seller to drop his price $30k after he had already dropped it that much since listing it 70 days ago. Still get another look on Saturday and all the inspections before finalized. Excited and nervous at the same time! Most we’ve ever paid for a home!

Went to a pub to listen to some live Irish music last night (and drink some Irish whiskey :)). Always an enjoyable night.

We signed a purchase contract on a single family home at the Jersey Shore two blocks from the beach. Plan is to rent it out most of the summer season but save a couple of weeks for us. Got the seller to drop his price $30k after he had already dropped it that much since listing it 70 days ago. Still get another look on Saturday and all the inspections before finalized. Excited and nervous at the same time! Most we’ve ever paid for a home!

Congratulations on your new home!

Other than two weeks in the summer, do you plan to ever live in it? Or is it mostly intended to be a rental for investment purposes? Sounds like it is really nice since it is the most you ever paid for a house.

On and off pain from a molar. I see an Endodontist in 3 weeks. Yesterday it was unbearable, today no too bad.

We went fishing at a lake up a little North of our house. We'd never fished it as it's artificial lures only and DW isn't too confident about casting.

We got stopped and checked by a HOA enforcement guy who reminded us of the special rules(lures and limits) on this lake. Nice fellow suggested some recent knowledge of what's hitting.

It was a little cold next to the water and the wind was pretty wicked. About the tenth cast boom, nice 16" rainbow takes the lure. DW wanted it, so I was limited out. She was cold and happy to go home.

Grilled trout and a nice salad for dinner tonight.

Set up a TV camera on an R/C airplane and tried to give DW a virtual ride on it using the gear that came in a kit for micro-sized airplanes I'd bought some time ago. The TV transmits to a set of goggles that gives the wearer a view as though they were on the model airplane, car, boat, or whatever else will carry it, like perhaps your dog.

This is called FPV flying, for First Person View. There are gobs of FPV videos on youtube if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like.

All of this did not go well. DW is nearsighted and wears glasses, but she has no idea of what the correction needed is. I have optional diopter lens kit of -2, -4, and -6 for the goggles but none of them seemed to work for her. The goggles cannot be used while wearing glasses.

I can't use them myself because I don't have a local safety pilot who can grab the transmitter and fly the airplane if the video connection is lost. To do that I'll have to drive 25 miles out to the club field and I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

Watched the Dodgers take out the Cubs in the MLB playoffs and the end of the exciting Kansas City/Oakland football game last night. Tonight is Houston Astros vs. New York Yankees game 6 of the AL playoff.

If the Astros lose tonight, it will be a NY Yankee/ L.A. Dodgers World Series!! If not, game 7 will decide which team wins the American League Pennant.

I love the Jersey Shore . You should have no problem renting it out .

A lazy, enjoyable rainy day.

Planted part of the winter garden. Sugar snap peas, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, cabbage, spinach.
Also planted 50 strawberry plants for Spring berries.

Picked fall tomatoes and sweet corn for supper.

Last edited:
Played 18 holes of golf. Walked the entire (hilly) course. Best score yet! This is very encouraging. I wish the golf season were not almost over. :(

Went on an 11 mile hike with DW and friends, then for lunch, now watching tv. Great day for a hike , 75 and sunny with little wind.

On and off pain from a molar. I see an Endodontist in 3 weeks. Yesterday it was unbearable, today no too bad.
Seems to me that your dentist ought to be able to get rid of that pain until you can see that endodontist. Ouch. If you are needing a root canal, it is probably an abscess that your dentist can open to release the pressure inside. I have had that done before, quick and easy, and it almost completely stops the pain. Or if it is something else, at least he could prescribe a pain medication or antibiotics.

On Monday my dentist fixed my front tooth, and even better, he didn't charge me a cent. Turned out it wasn't a broken tooth after all - - part of a fairly new filling had just broken off for no good reason. It felt like the Grand Canyon, but it apparently was not that big a deal. So, he just fixed it. It's amazing how much it lifts my spirits to have the tooth fixed.

Seems to me that your dentist ought to be able to get rid of that pain until you can see that endodontist. Ouch. If you are needing a root canal, it is probably an abscess that your dentist can open to release the pressure inside. I have had that done before, quick and easy, and it almost completely stops the pain. Or if it is something else, at least he could prescribe a pain medication or antibiotics.

On Monday my dentist fixed my front tooth, and even better, he didn't charge me a cent. Turned out it wasn't a broken tooth after all - - part of a fairly new filling had just broken off for no good reason. It felt like the Grand Canyon, but it apparently was not that big a deal. So, he just fixed it. It's amazing how much it lifts my spirits to have the tooth fixed.
Thanks, you are correct. I've seen my dentist twice and he's adjusted the contact and checked the tooth, but doesn't have an answer..... I'm cold sensitive but not where he thinks(I don't know what he really thinks, I'm new to this doc. He's well respected but...) that's the problem .

My DDS is giving me a limited amount of pain meds. Unfortunately the opiod epidemic has made it where prescriptions of many pain meds are discouraged.

My last prescription was apparently a day early and caused a minor issue. I'm trying to get by on less opiods, but for this type of pain nothing else seems to work!

Of course it seems my refills always fall on a day he's off in the mountains and can't physically write a prescription.

Last edited:
Made bison burgers and mac and cheese for lunch. First time mac and cheese was ever made in "casa michaelB". Not bad for a first effort, lots of room for improvement.

I did my regular Sunday stuff. We just got back from Orlando yesterday. But for today...I went to my sister's for early coffee and then met my BF for a walk. Lunch with my Mom at her favorite (not mine) Pizza Ranch. Afternoon yoga which was very nice. Then a nice afternoon and spaghetti dinner with wine with my DH. A very nice and busy Sunday for me.
Nice weather here in Iowa, the leaves are turning and are very pretty.

Played 18 holes of golf. Walked the course. Beautiful sunny day, but very blustery. Lost a few balls! But fun. Grocery shopping now....

Today was church and normal chores. Last night, I went to the 25th year reunion of my law school class. It was fun to see most of my old classmates and hear what they have been doing with their lives. They are among the most talented and interesting people I have ever met.

Went to a birthday party up in Denver today for a young lass who turned 80 today. Her name is Gloria and, yep, the band played G L O R I A in her honer. It was a good time and I drove the sports car up and back which made that much better. That will probably be it for the sports car until next year.

We saw a couple of plays this weekend, both were very good. One was the opening night of Angel Street (Gaslight) with a meet the cast and champagne reception after the play. The other play was The Liar, with a director and actors' talk after the play. The rest of the weekend was just the usual - walking the dog, grocery shopping, assorted chores, errands and some more headway on decluttering, including taking several bags of stuff to Goodwill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom