What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a concert last night (Elvis Costello)... good show but not as good as the previous time we'd seen him (which was a solo show, all acoustic). Saw a random local celebrity a few rows in front of me (Bill Walton). The people in the row behind him were probably annoyed - he had front row seats and is, um, rather tall.

This morning I would have preferred to sleep in but the kids still had school so I got them out the door and went to the beach for the usual dog walk. I should have done chores but took a quick nap instead.

This afternoon took my son for his follow up with the head and neck surgeon following his surgery last november to remove a large ameloblastoma. The xrays showed good bone growth/filling in and my son is officially approved to go back to regular sports with no restrictions. (Water polo!!!) The doctor was hesitant because he deals with facial injuries from all contact sports and a high school friend of his played WP and was a goalie... who broke his nose 5 times. I told my son he'd have to duck!!!

Knee doc appointment = torn meniscus = Surgery scheduled for 6/15. :blush:
...and dh is having a colonoscopy on the 26th. You guys sure know how to party! :dance:

btw, dh had a similar type of surgery on his knee a couple of years ago. Not sure if your doc will recommend a cooling unit. But if he/she does, be sure to get one. It made a lot of difference in regards to comfort. Be aware though, it takes a lot of ice. My ice dispenser could not keep up, so I had to shuttle bagged ice from the grocery store.

Hope all goes well. :flowers:

...and dh is having a colonoscopy on the 26th. You guys sure know how to party! :dance:

btw, dh had a similar type of surgery on his knee a couple of years ago. Not sure if your doc will recommend a cooling unit. But if he/she does, be sure to get one. It made a lot of difference in regards to comfort. Be aware though, it takes a lot of ice. My ice dispenser could not keep up, so I had to shuttle bagged ice from the grocery store.

Hope all goes well. :flowers:

The young wife just had surgery for a torn meniscus in March. She got the freeze and squeeze machine and it really helped with the swelling. The machine cooled its own water, so no ice was required.

Finished replacing the plastic corrugated roof on my pontoon boat rehab. Get the boat back Thursday from the boat store with a new 9.9 Mercury installed along with a new steering system. Woohoo.

Actually recycled dryer sheets. Used them on three loads... Idle curiosity it was. Seemed just as effective on the third dyer load.

The young wife just had surgery for a torn meniscus in March. She got the freeze and squeeze machine and it really helped with the swelling. The machine cooled its own water, so no ice was required.

Gumby, do you have the details on the above referenced machine your wife used?

Thanks

Been working on my sprinkler system. New (old) house with an existing system (also old) so I've been replacing heads and adjusting the sprays. Last weekend was the hard part. I had to dig out about an inch around each of the heads so they pop up freely and the grass doesn't grow over the heads. A job all done by hand with a hori hori knife. I have about 80 heads so two days of hard work. Now I'm running through the cycles and been telling DW it's like Bellagio (of course not really but a whole lot cheaper). Hard work but satisfying. Learning a few things and saving some pretty good money by DIY so it's all good.

Thanks

I looked through all our paperwork, but could not find the actual name/number of the machine. They are generically known as cryopneumatic devices. Here is the group in Danbury CT that provided the machine to her. Maybe if you call them, they can tell you precisely what it is so that you can look in your area.

Rebound Medical, LLC | Injury and Surgery Rehibilitation Equipment

Wow Gumby...I didn't know that type of cooling device was available. It would be great not to have to use ice. As a matter of fact, we didn't know there was such a thing as a cooling device until he was scheduled for knee surgery. Sure hope your bride is doing well.

aj...I'd like to make a suggestion. If your doc recommends a cooling device, you might want to call a pharmacy or medical supply store to see if you can rent one. Another option would be to see if a neighbor has had this type of surgery done and borrow theirs. Fortunately for us, our neighbor did have knee surgery and let us borrow hers.

Last edited:

Thanks

I used a Breg "Polar Care Cube" It does use a bunch of ice, but it is well worth it if you can get one.

Knee doc appointment = torn meniscus = Surgery scheduled for 6/15. :blush:

I think I remember that you wife's health isn't 100%, do you have help for when you have the surgery? AND don't rush the recovery time. My aunt was up and doing too much too soon and now is in pain again. Let other people help you. You are active so you should heal fast :flowers:

I'm getting back into fishing. I've given up on trying to catch dinner. Instead I just enjoy being out on the water and appreciating the challenge. Catch and release with barbless hooks makes everything less messy.

Yesterday, I paddled a mile to a good location in my tiny inflatable kayak, like this one:

4944.jpg

It's much less of a production than fishing in my (now sold) canoe. I can lift that kayak with two fingers. I never deflate it, just throw it onto a shelf in the garage.

This combined PFD and fishing vest puts everything I need within reach:

51ErHpROLpL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg

Yesterday, I went, after dinner, to Big Lagoon, which is close to my house. Caught one trout and had a few others on the line. I parked at the red arrow and fished at the yellow arrow. Paddling back in a headwind at 9 PM was a challenge, but fun. Not a single other person out on the lagoon.

hhiZ0nH.jpg

oSyPsRj.jpg

I'm impressed with the kayak. I haven't tipped or fallen out yet, but I came close the other day when watching an osprey dive for a fish close by. I leaned way back, forgetting where I was.

Last edited:
Thanks all, for the suggestions on the cooling device. I have a close neighbor that just had a knee replaced and I will ask her if she used one or has one now that her knee is all good again. If not, I can just see about acquiring one locally.

I think I remember that you wife's health isn't 100%, do you have help for when you have the surgery? AND don't rush the recovery time. My aunt was up and doing too much too soon and now is in pain again. Let other people help you. You are active so you should heal fast :flowers:

SDW, yes DW won't be much early help as she can't drive me to and from surgery but will be able to wait on me hand and foot as I recover in the lounge chair with my laptop and a cool beverage! ;)

One of my ROMEO buddies will have the honor of transporting me to the surgery center for the cutting. :D

The machine the young wife used was prescribed by the doctor for a certain period of time (two weeks, I think). The provider (Rebound) came to the house with it, set it up (it's about the size of one of the early 80s "portable" computers), and then took it back when the time was up.

Edit to add: I found this on line

ACTIVE COOLING DEVICE
Active cooling devices include pneumatic or mechanical pumps that may be battery or electric operated. The intended function of the pump is to provide cyclical compression and cooling to the affected area. The purpose of the compression is to remove fluid and decrease edema while providing the cooling. The devices generally consist of two basic parts: a wrap or wrap system that is designed to cover specific areas of the body; and a control unit, which is filled with ice and water. The control unit or pump circulates the cooled water through the wraps to the affected area. The devices may also contain a cooler or refrigeration component. Some of these devices are also designed to provide heat therapy.

Available active cold therapy devices that operate by battery or electric powered pump that provide cooling and compression include, but are not limited to:

AutoChill® system (Aircast®, Summit, NJ: This device is an accessory to the CryoCuff® system that utilizes an electronic pump in order to continuously cycle water between cooler and cuff.
BioCryo Cold Compression System (Bio Compression Systems, Inc., Moonachie, New Jersey): This device includes a gradient, sequential, pneumatic compression pump.
DeRoyal® Cold Therapy Unit (DeRoyal Industries, Powell, TN): Includes pump motor that circulates water between unit bucket and cooling blanket.
Game Ready™ Accelerated Recovery System (CoolSystems, Inc., Berkeley, CA): This device contains an electric or battery-run pump.
Iceman Cold Therapy unit (DJO Incorporated Inc., Vista, CA): This device includes pad and electric pump to circulate the fluid.
Nanotherm2™ (ThermoTek, Carrollton, TX): This devices includes pneumatic pump and provides heating, cooling and compression therapies.
Polar Care 500, Polar Care 300 (BREG, Inc., McKinney, TX): This device includes a pad and battery/electric pump that is used to circulate the water.
VitalWrap System® (VitalWear Inc., South San Francisco, CA): This device provides heating, cooling, and compression therapies. The device includes a control unit, tubing set, and a thermal fabric wrap. The control unit, which includes a fluid reservoir, manages the temperature of water used by the system to supply heat or cold to the fabric wrap that is attached to the body.
Vascutherm2™ (ThermoTek, Carrollton, TX): Includes pneumatic pump and provides heating, cooling and compression therapies. The device also includes a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) mode–this is a compression (or air)-only mode, that is intended to prevent DVT.

Last edited:
...SDW, yes DW won't be much early help as she can't drive me to and from surgery but will be able to wait on me hand and foot as I recover in the lounge chair with my laptop and a cool beverage! ;)

One of my ROMEO buddies will have the honor of transporting me to the surgery center for the cutting. :D

I know it can get boring just sitting around but go slow for a full, pain-free recovery.
That is nice that your ROMEO buddies can help. I've had times where I have to be at work and can't take my husband for his treatments. Our friends have filled in.

We took a tour up here at Chimney Rock National Monument. Awesome tour with a great guide. She cut it short due to the thunderstorms forming to the east.

You only get that view after walking a while. The last bit of the walk is not for those challenged by heights or balance.

20170607_145443.jpg

We took a tour up here at Chimney Rock National Monument. Awesome tour with a great guide. She cut it short due to the thunderstorms forming to the east.

You only get that view after walking a while. The last bit of the walk is not for those challenged by heights or balance.

We went by Chimney Rock a couple summers ago but didn't have time to stop. We were on the way to Ignacio to a family reunion. The late DW's family is from that area. The next time I head that direction I hope to get a chance to explore a little.

We saw the new musical Roman Holiday in the city last night. The plot is based on the 1950s movie of the same name. It is getting tested out here and then Broadway bound for fall. Other than the plot being straight out of the 50s and a bit campy, everything else was great - the orchestra, singing, acting and especially the sets. The designers did a good job of recreating famous sites throughout Rome for the stage. The actors got a standing ovation from almost the entire audience at the end.

Today was just catching up around the house, errands and some activities at the senior center.

Last edited:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to those fighting a malady. :flowers:

I am OK at the moment, so must make the most of the time I have between problems. :p

I am now in Alsace.

We went by Chimney Rock a couple summers ago but didn't have time to stop. We were on the way to Ignacio to a family reunion. The late DW's family is from that area. The next time I head that direction I hope to get a chance to explore a little.
The guided tour took 2.5-3 hours. Well worth it as it gives you access to off limit areas. There's a self guided audio tour but our guide was awesome. Her knowledge made the tour much more enjoyable.

I bought some flowers from the nursery and planted more in the front yard. We removed the Spanish lavenders, they looked a bit Helter Skelter as suggested by my oldest daughter. It took me two hours. Now I'm resting and my husband is doing 3 drip sprinklers for the flowers.
I also picked 3 apricots from my tree, it was simply delicious, the best I've had in years. It's worth my effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom