What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flew a Pilot's & Paws mission today. Weather a bit marginal, but it worked out. Picked the 65 pound Belgian Malenois from an airport near San Diego and flew him up to Santa Barbara. The dog was rescued from Tijuana.

Love to hear about your missions souschef! That poor doggy must feel very displaced. Just curious how homes are arranged--was he first fostered in Tijuana?

This morning, I set a beer trap for the pill bugs, they finally got to me when I discovered lots of them on my tall beans. So I got an empty Vitamin jar and poored a bottle of beer for them. Left over from my kids. I must admit, the beer smells awful to me, maybe that's why I have not been drinking any. We will see how many bugs I can trap.

I also planted my front yard with red, white, and blue(well almost blue) phlox in preparing for 4th of July celebration.

Third thing I did was relocated some strawberry plants to a new container. So I now have 4 containers of strawberries to pick. Yummy! I don't eat them but I like the nice fragrance when I pick them for my husband.

Last edited:
Came home to find an email from my doctor.... Still low iron and she wants to rule out gut bleeding (!!!!). So I get to schedule a colonoscopy (not due till next year) and a EGD.... Not looking forward to that. The prep's the worst part.

DH had the same thing happen several years ago. They didn't find anything. So he just takes extra iron. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Came home to find an email from my doctor.... Still low iron and she wants to rule out gut bleeding (!!!!). So I get to schedule a colonoscopy (not due till next year) and a EGD.... Not looking forward to that. The prep's the worst part.

DW's oldest daughter had this low iron issue about 4 years ago. Had every test known to man done and could not pinpoint the cause. She now has to have semi-annual iron infusions (about two quarts) to get back to normal levels. Hope you don't have to go down this road. Good luck!

Did a training ride with the biking company that is owned by the same family that runs the rafting company I guide for. They typically don't have guided bike trips, but are trying out a new "themed" trip this season. It's 26 miles on the rails-to-trail, with stops along the way to hike to waterfalls and scenic spots. They've realized that most of the customers signing up for these trips are in my demographic (the boss was too nice to say "older, like you") so they asked if I wanted to learn to run the trip.

The best part is that the trips are typically scheduled on weekends that there is not a dam release, so I won't be missing out on a river trip. I'll spend the day doing something I enjoy, riding and hiking, while getting paid. Not a bad gig.

Flew a Pilot's & Paws mission today. Weather a bit marginal, but it worked out. Picked the 65 pound Belgian Malenois from an airport near San Diego and flew him up to Santa Barbara. The dog was rescued from Tijuana.

Love to hear about your missions souschef! That poor doggy must feel very displaced. Just curious how homes are arranged--was he first fostered in Tijuana?
Here is the story about how the dog was rescued:
Everything aligned for Bendito. If there was ever a dog who needed a break, it was him... seems like Bendito waited his whole life for that break.

Woof Project specializes in Belgian Malinois. They can be temperamental and sensitive dogs but they are what we do best. A woman in San Diego was in TJ and saw Bendito on the street, rummaging for food/eating trash. This woman took pity on him, took him to the vet and brought him across the border. From there, she didn't know what to do with him so she made a posting on FB asking for help. That posting made it to Woof Project.
We have one foster home (Elaine) who is able to bring in, care for and see to a peaceful crossing over for these senior dogs. Elaine and her husband will often take the terminal dogs but they can only take one at a time and see the dog through any medical care. It has been several months since their last senior foster dog passes and they were ready to help another.

Attachments

• Bendito3.JPG
    Bendito3.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
Bought some foam and spent hours cutting and shaping it to house my collection of Italian stilettos;

34693239130_c305f0cdd5_z.jpg

Bought some foam and spent hours cutting and shaping it to house my collection of Italian stilettos;
Very nice. The decorative handles remind me of the scales on my straight razors.

Today I drove to a local airport and flew a WW2 trainer called the T-6 Texan. It was a hoot, I even made a low pass at my local airport and by my house.:dance:

Attachments

• IMG_6169.jpg
    IMG_6169.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 31
Today I got up a 5, drank some coffee and read the paper. Then went to the auto parts store when it opened at 7:30 and after to the dry cleaner. Came home and changed the oil in my car. Showered and shaved. Took the cats to the vet at 10:30. Took the young wife shoe shopping and went to lunch. Came home and replaced the front brake rotors and pads on my car, as well as replacing a stripped wheel stud (which was most difficult). Showered again. Went grocery shopping and came home to eat dinner.

And people wonder what I'll do when I retire.

DW and I walked around a place we had snowshoed in the winter. We had only been in a small part of one side and decided to walk the other side of the circle. Sign said it was 2.9 miles around, sign lied.

We had one working cell phone for navigation and a good amount of water. Nice day 72°F and blue skys. Unfortunately it was a bit further and we had no idea where we were. For quite a while we could only see scrub oak, ten feet in front of us. It was interesting when we were still in the bush and had gone 3 miles.

Along the way we came to many wild iris, I'd never seen them before. Kinda cool if you can see on the photo.

DW was a bit concerned about where we were and the discrepancies in distances. The trail turned out of be closer to five miles around.

When we got home I ordered a Garmin Etrex 30x GPS Not sure I needed everything it's capable of but I'm really wanting DW to feel secure we know where we are.

20170603_133029.jpg

Today I drove to a local airport and flew a WW2 trainer called the T-6 Texan. It was a hoot, I even made a low pass at my local airport and by my house.:dance:

That had to be fun!

For those on the eastern side of the country who might want to make the trip the Commemorative Air Force will have their restored B-29 at the Hagerstown, MD airport from June 7 to June 11. From June 12-14 it will be in Newport News, VA, and from June 16-18 will be in Wilmington, NC. They will also have a T-6 and a C-45 Expeditor. They offer flights but they're expensive, that has to be a costly airplane to operate.

Commemorative Air Force Calendar

Hagerstown is less than an hour away and I'm going with a BIL and maybe a cousin if the schedules align.

We had a pleasant weekend. Friday we went to the Chabot Space and Science Museum for their First Friday event and attended a couple of planetarium shows. Saturday was a library book sale and dinner out for South American food. Today we went to Napa Live, a music crawl in Napa with 40 local bands at 30 locations along the riverfront and at shops and restaurants in the downtown area. We had a nice sunny day and the solo artists and bands we had a chance to see were all pretty good.

grrrr. trying to figure out how I'm going to make a Black "mad Hatter" wedding cake!!
:mad:

Seriously? I must be old school because isn't getting a Black wedding cake sort of screaming "see ya at the divorce party".

*****sighs**** everybody has to be new.

Oh well, what's that saying, "customer is always right"??

The weather in our area is suppose to be exceptional this week so I spent a portion of the afternoon washing the Slingshot and getting her ready to explore the back roads of Southern Illinois and perhaps visit some of the wineries.

Attachments

• 20170605_162434.jpg
    20170605_162434.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 31
I am now in a town on the shore of Lake Geneva. Will be heading north tomorrow.

DW and I have just finished A Year in Provence" and have Luberon on the bucket list. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Northwest and Braumeister - thanks for sharing your pictures... what a great inspiration for my future trip planning...

I read all books by Peter Mayle some years ago. I had been to Avignon some years ago, but always wanted to come back and spend more time. This time, we had a car and that allowed doing things that traveling by train would not permit.

Driving a car in Europe has some hassles, so one would seek to maximize the return by going into places not easily reached by planes and trains.

Yep - looks like Provence!!

I have some photos taken from the hillltowns of Tuscany and Umbria that look like Provence. The vast field of red poppy flowers was never seen duplicated elsewhere, not in Provence or any place I drove through on this trip.

I got lost by missing a turn, and after following a "chemin" (trail), found myself at this gorgeous view somewhere near Roussillon. There were wild poppies everywhere, but I think this field was intentionally cultivated. Perhaps the farmer was raising poppies to get seeds.

Had a Pilots & Paws mission today. Flew 2 cute Yorkies from Porterville CA to Van Nuys CA. Met the second pilot who will fly them up to Las Vegas.

I went to a Bluegrass festival this last weekend. It was great, but I felt like a youngster with the crowd that was there. :LOL:

On the way, I stopped at Costco to get a new tablet that was on sale. When I got there, they had an unlocked cell phone that would solve my problem with controlling my new hearing aids. There wasn't a lot of difference in size between the tablet and cell phone and I gave up on what to buy. On the way home I had decided to buy the cell phone and probably just use it as a wi-fi phone. When I got there they had a larger tablet that was just the right size, so I bought both! :facepalm: I spent too much time yesterday getting my new toys set up along with normal work on the house.

Today insulation folks are scheduled to spray a thin layer of foam on the inside of the outer walls. I haven't heard from them so I hope they make it.

DD#2 is in town for a short visit. She, DW and DD#1 went shopping yesterday and kindly did NOT insist that I tag along. This AM the two of us rented a kayak at the state park (before they stopped renting due to the high winds) and went looking for eagles and other large birds. Saw several immature bald eagles, many mature ones, osprey and a few herons. She's out getting her nails done, now. Good to get some one on one time.

Attachments

• Heron.jpg
    Heron.jpg
    894.1 KB · Views: 29
I have not shared here for awhile. A peaceful, retiree day here with beautiful Iowa weather. High of 83 and sunny. I woke before 5, had coffee, walked with DH and rode my bike to our trail and lake. We had leftovers for lunch and I have chicken thawing for dinner. We are waiting for my new desk to be delivered and I will continue to clean up in my office. We are now just lounging about. I'm sure I will set out on the back deck once my office is done.

I have not shared here for awhile. A peaceful, retiree day here with beautiful Iowa weather. High of 83 and sunny. I woke before 5, had coffee, walked with DH and rode my bike to our trail and lake. We had leftovers for lunch and I have chicken thawing for dinner. We are waiting for my new desk to be delivered and I will continue to clean up in my office. We are now just lounging about. I'm sure I will set out on the back deck once my office is done.

I suspect the "office" is for other uses than w*rk? Correct?

I suspect the "office" is for other uses than w*rk? Correct?

:) I do about 10 hours a week of work for home to provide for HI until we hit Medicare age. I also use it for my eBay stuff and other officey type things.

Today, I went outside and picked a lot of nectarines. There's something about home grown fruits. The best tasting nectarines my husband and I had so far. Talk about fruits of your labor.

Tripped on a random bit of misaligned sidewalk during my morning jog and went sprawling.

The good part is that I managed an almost perfect PLF (parachute landing fall) so apart from a small abrasion on my knee there was no bodily damage except to my dignity. Well, also the fact that it was early enough (just after sunrise) that nobody saw me do it.

The bad part is that my Apple Watch got smashed. Much to my surprise, it still functioned perfectly, but three hours later I had a new one anyway. DW already had the newer model (version 2) and I was impressed that she could go snorkeling with it last month with no problem.

Funny how I went for many years without wearing a watch, but after just a little over a year with the Apple Watch I've become addicted to it.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom