Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Seriously, you guys are just way too polite.
Anyone I know would, when asked for the $30, have said "For what?"
Without question, Braun. I have no filter and I have several cheap bastards that are great friends but I hold them accountable. When we go as a group, I got one friend, that always conveniently trying to buy one of the late rounds them mysteriously has to go home right before his next turn. So now I always yell out that the cheap bastard buys the first round, so we all don't get screwed. Everyone has a laugh and nothing he can say because he knows its true. If that had happened to me, I would've said something to the effect of do you think we are stupid, cheapass? I will pay you back double if you can prove it cost $30.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I would never invite him again.
+1.
Nor will I accept any invitation from him. Never mind him being cheap, but he is dishonest and took advantage of you guys. I would end any association with this person.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
gone traveling

Looks like he won't be invited on your next camping trip
Old 06-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Were bloody Mary's & Mimosa's included ?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Seriously, you guys are just way too polite.
Anyone I know would, when asked for the $30, have said "For what?"
Well, we did kind of exclaim WTF?? And he said, "that's what the receipt said"

And I was the only one who then said well, geez you are taking 2/3 of it home with you, don't you think $30 is a bit high?? He sniffed and went off to pack up his stuff. I let him have $25 as the contribution.

Yeah, may not see him by the campfire again.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I'm going camping next week. I'll be cooking for myself, but it will be three dinners, three lunches, and three breakfasts. I doubt I'll spend much more than $30 for all that, even eating well (tuna, steak, brats, eggs, sandwiches, etc). When I add in the alcohol costs it should still be under $100.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm going camping next week. I'll be cooking for myself, but it will be three dinners, three lunches, and three breakfasts. I doubt I'll spend much more than $30 for all that, even eating well (tuna, steak, brats, eggs, sandwiches, etc). When I add in the alcohol costs it should still be under $100.
$30 for food and $70 for alcohol is not best camping practice. I believe the recommended ratio is $20/$80
Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
I let him have $25 as the contribution.
Wait a minute - do you mean he wanted $30 from EACH person, or did he say the total receipt for the groceries was $30 total, with each person's share $7.50

If the former, then I would have simply paid $10 and told him to keep the change!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Wait a minute - do you mean he wanted $30 from EACH person, or did he say the total receipt for the groceries was $30 total, with each person's share $7.50

If the former, then I would have simply paid $10 and told him to keep the change!
Everyone was asked how much they had paid for meals, snacks, etc that were shared among us. For example, I brought some Doritos, beef sticks, peanuts and crackers. Since I was taking half the box of crackers home, I said my share was $10 (even though I spent about $12).

So since he was taking back almost 2/3 of his stuff, we were rather shocked when he said to put him in for a $30. And really, since all the stuff was from Aldi's, I failed to see how he could have possibly paid $15 for all of it. And using 3 Tbs of oil from a liter bottle of oil, then taking it home and charging us full freight was past what I could take. And like I said when I pointed out that he was returning home with most of the stuff, perhaps it wasn't quite right to charge us for all of it.

That's when I got the "well, that's what the receipt was". Honestly, I can't remember a more unsocial thing in my life. It really ticked us all off and he will just never be invited along again. No loss.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Everyone was asked how much they had paid for meals, snacks, etc that were shared among us. For example, I brought some Doritos, beef sticks, peanuts and crackers. Since I was taking half the box of crackers home, I said my share was $10 (even though I spent about $12).

So since he was taking back almost 2/3 of his stuff, we were rather shocked when he said to put him in for a $30. And really, since all the stuff was from Aldi's, I failed to see how he could have possibly paid $15 for all of it. And using 3 Tbs of oil from a liter bottle of oil, then taking it home and charging us full freight was past what I could take. And like I said when I pointed out that he was returning home with most of the stuff, perhaps it wasn't quite right to charge us for all of it.

That's when I got the "well, that's what the receipt was". Honestly, I can't remember a more unsocial thing in my life. It really ticked us all off and he will just never be invited along again. No loss.
I call total BS if it was from Aldi's. That stuff would be right at $13 at our aldis (I shop there all the time and have bought all that stuff recently). Assuming we are talking Aldi's in the USA. And they don't have name brand versions of any of the items you listed, so no way he could have spent 2x the cost due to being a poor shopper.

That being said, the guy sounds like a bozo and I wouldn't trust him to go shopping if that is the way he wants to do things. Maybe if he's a cool guy I could see telling him straight up you got ripped off shopping at Aldi's, one of the other guys will go shopping and you can chip in your share of the cost next trip.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #31

Since you mentioned drinks and such large amounts of food I suspect this wasn't backpacking. If it had been I would have left his raggedy self somewhere along the trail as soon as he took a personal break behind some trees. He certainly would have had enough food to keep from starving. Otherwise I would have deducted from the breakfast cost for the gas, oil change, wear and tear, and depreciation on the car to get him to the campground.

Cheers!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #32

Quote:
I would never invite him again.
+1

There is a distinction between frugal and cheap. That's cheap.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #33

I'd have asked what else was on the receipt that wasn't produced at breakfast lol: the bottle of Jack Daniels he drank himself to sleep with, to ease his aching conscious?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #34

At least it will make a good story the next time y'all are sitting around the campfire, sans the ripoff man!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #35

Aldi's! Aldi's!?? And $30? Man, this plot thickens. We were having a hard time finding $30 at Whole Foods.

Surprised he didn't add in some interest for the 25 cents he had to give up temporarily for the shopping cart rental.

Sheesh. Take him off your camping list.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #36

Quote:
Now that I'm retired I like to go camping. Went with 3 other guys for a couple of days and we all pitched in for food but brought our own drinks.

The one camper was responsible for breakfast and made us some scrambled eggs, pancakes and sausage patties. The breakdown was that in total, there were 12 eggs used, 3 cups of pancake mix, a cup of milk, 3 Tbs of oil, 4 Tbs of butter. and about a pound of sausage.

The one camper of course took the rest of the materials back home with him. 3 sticks of butter, most of the syrup, oil, pancake mix, etc. He did not contribute anything else to the camp.

On the day we left he told us his contribution was $30!!! We were all credulous but grudging paid.

Am I right to think this is damn cheap??
Maybe you should ask him about it? my inner pollyanna thinks maybe he is just saving it for next time. or else you could invite him again and tell him to bring the leftover supplies from last time
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #37

Oh, I'd invite him to another camping trip again.

Get him real drunk until he passes out in his tent, then pack up and move the entire campsite somewhere else and leave his cheap ass all alone in the woods.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post

Maybe you should ask him about it? my inner pollyanna thinks maybe he is just saving it for next time. or else you could invite him again and tell him to bring the leftover supplies from last time
Ya, that's a thought... He can bring the leftover supplies on the next trip and then tell everyone it cost $30 again.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
+1.
Nor will I accept any invitation from him. Never mind him being cheap, but he is dishonest and took advantage of you guys. I would end any association with this person.
Exactly that.
The $30 or whatever amount of money that's involved has nothing to do with the core issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Am I right to think this is damn cheap??
One of you guys is not going to get invited to the next camping trip.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote