When's dinner/lunch

Ksols

Dryer sheet aficionado
Not ER'd yet but was wondering when you eat? Of course there's all the jokes about the age of the 4:30 dinner crowd, but today we had lunch/ dinner at 3:30, mainly because that's the only time we could get our Father(in-law) into a popular restaurant, and it agrees with me. I think this dovetails with the "what hours do you sleep" thread, but when we ER I can see getting up around 8:00ish, getting in a run, having a good healthy breakfast, doing whatever, having a snack, then fixing a combined late lunch early dinner. Fewer calories and grocery bills?

We eat lunch together at a local restaurant, usually around 2:30 or 3:30. This is wonderful because restaurants are not crowded at 3:30, and parking is plentiful.

Dinner is usually around 8 PM for me.

I like your idea of a combined lunch and dinner! We usually split our lunch for fewer calories.

Because of my work schedule I try not to get out of bed until at least 1pm. I eat lupper(lunch/dinner) at about 2:30. Have a small snack at work at 7:30 then "lunch" at work at about 11:30pm. I get home at 5:30am and have breakfast. Not a very typical or traditional schedule. So what! On my days off I never eat just because of the time of day. I eat when i'm hungry. I may eat only 1 meal and a couple of snacks or I may eat 4 or 5 meals. When i'm retired i'll eat when i'm hungry and sleep when i'm tired not based on a predetermined time that is "normal".

I do not eat breakfast, except maybe from some fruit or a bagel/cream cheese. If I am not hungry, I stick to coffee/milk/sugar and drink a Boost.
Mr B and I usually have a light lunch around 12 when he returns from his coffee session. If he gets home later, I go ahead and have a very light snack (fruit, string cheese, cheese/crackers and/or ChexMix) so we can eat together at 2 PM or so.
He is on doctors orders to improve his diet, exercise and try to lose about 10 lbs. He's getting there.
I am trying to get him to change over to eating a larger healthier midday meal. I rarely cook large dinner meals anymore to reinforce getting away from the "starve all day and eat big portions for the evening meal" habit he has had for too many years (pre-Freebird era ;) ). So far so good. :D
He also likes to eat dinner out :rolleyes:, but I pointed out this habit of HIS was defeating MY weight loss goals. So we agreed to eat out only once a week, and only on a day when we skimped on the midday meal. If we had a large midday meal, no eating out at night.
To avoid being a complete PITA, I relented and agreed to go to 25 cent chicken wing night once a week on Tuesdays at the Legion. We keep ourselves limited to 10 wings each. :cool:

Breakfast around 8:00 am
Lunch around 12:00 am
Snack around 3:00 pm
Dinner around 5:00 pm
Snack around 7:30 pm

Not ER'd yet but was wondering when you eat?
In college I ran across the motto "Eat 'til you're tired, sleep 'til you're hungry."

In ER we pretty much graze all day, except when we're napping...

Lunch is around 2-3:00 pm. Dinner is around 7-8:00 pm.

breakfast around 8 am
lunch around noon
dinner around 6 pm

But I almost always do the senior citizen 4:30 dinner when I'm dining out or getting carry out at our condo in Arizona. Usually crowded at that time out there.

In college I ran across the motto "Eat 'til you're tired, sleep 'til you're hungry."

In ER we pretty much graze all day, except when we're napping...

Same here on grazing all day.

I typically have four meals a day though, starting with breakfast around 6:30am (after my daily run), then at approx 10:30am, 3:30pm, and 7:30pm, with fruit in between. I am fairly active and try to eat somewhat healthy so have never had weight issues.

OK - I'm going to be the PIA in this thread (among many others :cool: ).

What does it matter what I do? If you are content with "your schedule", so be it.

You don't need to follow my "options" of where I live, or what I spend related to vacations, trips, housing, relocation, etc. "schedule" in lifestyle, related to what I eat, nor when I eat. What works for you? That's most important IMHO...

What is most important, IMHO? Live your life, as you wish. Nobody else matters :rolleyes: ...

We eat breakfast about 8, eat fruit at 12 when we get home from the gym, then eat our main meal about 2. In the evening we snack while watching TV; our snacks consist of fruit, laughing cow cheese and crackers, frozen fruit bars. We both lost about 30 pounds since January.

After so many years of rotating shift work the terms "breakfast", "lunch", "dinner" became somewhat meaningless. So if I got off work at 6:00 AM, and either grilled a couple of burgers or ate a bowl of cereal and went to bed I didn't notice that my body cared.

So we just kind of eat whatever looks good when we're hungry and don't mind the clock much.

What does it matter what I do? If you are content with "your schedule", so be it.
You don't need to follow my "options" of where I live, or what I spend related to vacations, trips, housing, relocation, etc. "schedule" in lifestyle, related to what I eat, nor when I eat. What works for you? That's most important IMHO...
What is most important, IMHO? Live your life, as you wish. Nobody else matters :rolleyes: ...
My goodness. It may not matter to you when we eat our cornflakes, but we'd appreciate them more if they weren't pissed in.

I think the OP was just asking for a little friendly mentoring on creative ideas of how to live their ER life. I guess telling them to go live their own life is one version of that creativity.

Oh, wait, I get it-- you're bucking for a curmudgeon certificate?

I usually have breakfast at 8:30 on gym days . The rest of the time it is 9:30 . Lunch is very light when I am hungry usually between 11:30 and 1 . Dinner if I'm cooking is 6 or 6:30 . If we go out it's usually early and lots of time we share .When I eat lunch out with my gym pals I skip supper . It's just too much food. I stopped snacking entirely except for an occasional piece of fruit or a glass of V-8 juice . Of course if for some reason there happens to be chips in my house all bets are off .:)

rescueme said:

No offense, but isn't that the whole point of a forum? Find out what other people do? I was a little giddy about what it will be like when it happens.

The best deals at almost all restaurants are for the lunch meal and the fact is that even at the lunch meal most American restaurants' serving sizes are twice what a senior citizen ought to be eating. So, DW and I often get the lunch special and take home carryout boxes for dinner. LBYM?

Back in the day when I was eating out with work associates, I would always clean my plate, no matter how much was on it or how stuffed I was.

I blame this on my first grade teacher. She had a chart on the wall with every one's name on it. Whenever you cleaned your lunch plate at the school cafeteria, she would place a gold star by your name. I had more gold stars than anyone else in my class.:)

No offense, but isn't that the whole point of a forum? Find out what other people do? I was a little giddy about what it will be like when it happens.
You sound as if you are on Twitter, in which every action must be "reported" moment to moment, to others.

Am I wrong?

You sound as if you are on Twitter, in which every action must be "reported" moment to moment, to others.
Am I wrong?
Hey hey hey, I find Twitter to be a useful communications tool. It was particularly apt during the tsunami watch after the Sendai earthquake.

Definitely curmudgeon class.

Definitely curmudgeon class.
Watch it; DW/me will "bomb" you with a couple of cases of Spam when we visit (Maui) early next year - when we overfly your island :LOL: ...

We're staying in a condo that has units for sale, on Maui. Who knows, maybe we will become "island neighbors" in the future :facepalm: ...

Since we've have extended stays on the islands a few times (on all the islands in the Archipelago), we found that Maui has the type of lifestyle we desire, for the remainder of our years.

I appreciate your tag of my (curmudgeon) level. I wok*ed many years to achieve such "goodness"...

Breakfast around 9:30 AM, unless I am running one my my school Scrabble tourneys (then it would be around 7:30 AM, but this is only about 4-5 times per year).

Lunch is around 2 PM but I move it closer to 1:30 PM if I am going square dancing that evening and it is one of my early sessions (7 PM start).

Dinner is around 7-7:30 PM unless I am going out square dancing to one my early sessions (see above), or I am going out to eat with my dad or my ladyfriend. If it is an early night square dancing, then I have to eat dinner at 6 PM. If I go out to eat, it is 6-6:30 PM to beat the crowds, especially if it is a Friday or weekend night.

Then a snack around 11:30 PM or midnight, maybe later.

No breakfast. I fix large salads for me and my wife mid-morning and eat mine right away (she waits until a more reasonable hour for a lunch). I got on this odd schedule while trying to lose weight, and the theory was just to skip breakfast, but I got so hungry that lunch came earlier and earlier.

Afternoons I piece -- throw something from the freezer into the toaster oven, usually, or heat a piece of take-and-bake pizza on a pizza stone. I'm not hungry in the evening.

Bkfst: About 8:00
Lunch: 12:00
Dinner: 6:00 DW prefers to eat later, but usually relents. I'm eating all day in between meals. Someday my metabolism is going to slow down and it won't be funny.

Back
Top Bottom