Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I hardly think this makes me a Luddite, or a curmudgeon.
Said in jest. Does not necessarily reflect the opinion of...

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Hi Ron, I did not read your reply as "in jest" although you meant it to be taken that way. We cannot see each forum contributor's facial expression or hear the intonation. My choice is to use smiley's occasionally to lighten the tone . Or maybe an end comment like ...

P.S. Just kidding.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi Ron, I did not read your reply as "in jest" although you meant it to be taken that way. We cannot see each forum contributor's facial expression or hear the intonation. My choice is to use smiley's occasionally to lighten the tone . Or maybe an end comment like ...

P.S. Just kidding.
I agree. There's a use for them there smilies!

Seriously though....I think we often don't realize how an off the cuff email or forum entry may inadvertently cause offence. I had a prof. once who got into big trouble with the entire class because of that. I would like to say here and now that if a comment of mine ever upsets anyone on the forum, I apologize profusely. I don't mean it!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

HaHa, Kindle sounds like the wrong gift for you. Your post reminds me of a
meditation aid someone gave me; it had wires and copper to place on various places around the body and handles to hold while mediating. Kindle/copper, either you're into it or you're not.

I also enjoy chatting with the staff at the private library. The public library has gone to digital self check out so there is less fun there.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I agree. There's a use for them there smilies!
A perfect example of why I don't use (or believe in) such a device. What does that statement even mean?

(Now I understand how this statement can seem much more harsh than intended but I am at a lose as to which Smily (sp) might help... perhaps this I suppose.)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
A perfect example of why I don't use (or believe in) such a device. What does that statement even mean?

(Now I understand how this statement can seem much more harsh than intended but I am at a lose as to which Smily (sp) might help... perhaps this I suppose.)
I am making a joke and showing that I am laughing......
Old 06-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am making a joke and showing that I am laughing......
Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves. In any event, I am glad then we agree that Smilies are a joke.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves. In any event, I am glad then we agree that Smilies are a joke.
On the contrary, I am quite sure of myself. Let's end this conversation now in a respectful manner.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I think you're both wrong.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves.
One of this board's (former) members used to say post some of the most viciously sarcastic and even hurtful things... but he felt that if he followed them up with a few "big grin" smilies then everything would be OK.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I like browsing bookstores and libraries also. Although I find that I do less of this because the recommendation systems of places like Amazon is pretty darn good.
I am not sure that having a Kindle would change my walking into a library browsing the shelves and walking out with a couple of book every month or so.

I can absolutely see the advantages of having a Kindle for travel and while I don't do a lot, I am seldom gone for less than 9 days. This require one book for the flight over, one for the flight back, one for the actual time I away, and often a back up book in case one of other books isn't good. I can also see the benefits of having a Kindle for posting on this board. I often support my posts with information from my library. This requires remembering the fact (I am pretty good but far from fool proof on this), trying to remember which book contained the information, locating the book in my book shelves, finding the information in the book, and than posting it. All of this would be certainly easier with Kindle. Plus the board would benefit in that more of my facts would be accurate

The downside of the Kindles is that it is one more gadget in my life, they aren't cheap,and I suspect that I would end up spending more money on books, because I'd go to the library less often. Finally, I am not sure that I prefer reading a book on Kindle than a physical book.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
One of this board's (former) members used to say post some of the most viciously sarcastic and even hurtful things... but he felt that if he followed them up with a few "big grin" smilies then everything would be OK.
Reminds me of the parental admonition "use your words, honey" after little Benjamin socks little Ronnie. Yes, I guess smilies are not a cure for being excessively negative.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As heard recently:
"She looks like a whale in that dress, bless her heart"
Old 06-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I should just make the tongue-in-cheek emoticon my sig...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
[...]The downside of the Kindles is that it is one more gadget in my life, they aren't cheap,[...]
A brand new Kindle from Amazon has gone down in price to $189 as of today:

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store

Whether or not $189 is "cheap" or "not cheap" depends on one's frame of reference, but anyway I just thought that might be of interest to some ER board members. It comes with a 30 day no-questions-asked full money-back guarantee.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I figured with all the competition from IPad and the Sony reader is now $199 they would have to lower the price . Plus now that they have Kindle applications for almost every portable device it lessens the demand .Why buy a kindle when you can get something that does so much more and still have the book feature when you want ?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I figured with all the competition from IPad and the Sony reader is now $199 they would have to lower the price . Plus now that they have Kindle applications for almost every portable device it lessens the demand .Why buy a kindle when you can get something that does so much more and still have the book feature when you want ?
If you personally do not want a Kindle, then certainly you should not buy one at any price.

Kindle is Amazon's #1 seller of all their products. And wow, at just $189 starting today, it is now cheaper than it has ever been - - so hopefully approaching the price range of many who may have felt they couldn't afford a Kindle.

At least two prior substantial price cuts have been made on the present version of Kindle (the k2i) since it first became available in February, 2009. The k3 is supposed to be coming out later this year so that, plus the fact that it has been a while since the last price cut, are likely to be two factors behind the timing of this particular price cut.

When are you going to buy that iPad you have been wanting, anyway? Or at least I thought you wanted one before your last trip.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #58
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
A brand new Kindle from Amazon has gone down in price to $189 as of today:
Ahhhggg... I paid $389.00 for my first generation Kindle that I bought about two weeks before they came out with their 2nd generation.

Yep, I consider $189 a a very good bargain.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I've forgotten what I paid for a Kindle1 one week after it came out but I figure it paid for itself three times over because it functions well enough as my only away-from-home FREE wi-fi device. It is still like part of my right hand. Sorry, this is starting to smell like spam.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading my third or fourth book on my iPod touch. It's not quite as nice as a real book, but I think that's because I have to turn the pages so often.

BookOnIpod.jpg

The quality and readability of the text is higher than that of a paper book.