Why Kindle (and the other E-book readers)?

I like browsing bookstores and libraries also. Although I find that I do less of this because the recommendation systems of places like Amazon is pretty darn good.
I am not sure that having a Kindle would change my walking into a library browsing the shelves and walking out with a couple of book every month or so.

I can absolutely see the advantages of having a Kindle for travel and while I don't do a lot, I am seldom gone for less than 9 days. This require one book for the flight over, one for the flight back, one for the actual time I away, and often a back up book in case one of other books isn't good. I can also see the benefits of having a Kindle for posting on this board. I often support my posts with information from my library. This requires remembering the fact (I am pretty good but far from fool proof on this), trying to remember which book contained the information, locating the book in my book shelves, finding the information in the book, and than posting it. All of this would be certainly easier with Kindle. Plus the board would benefit in that more of my facts would be accurate :)

The downside of the Kindles is that it is one more gadget in my life, they aren't cheap,and I suspect that I would end up spending more money on books, because I'd go to the library less often. Finally, I am not sure that I prefer reading a book on Kindle than a physical book.

One of this board's (former) members used to [-]say[/-] post some of the most viciously sarcastic and even hurtful things... but he felt that if he followed them up with a few "big grin" smilies then everything would be OK.
Reminds me of the parental admonition "use your words, honey" after little Benjamin socks little Ronnie. Yes, I guess smilies are not a cure for being excessively negative.

One of this board's (former) members used to [-]say[/-] post some of the most viciously sarcastic and even hurtful things... but he felt that if he followed them up with a few "big grin" smilies then everything would be OK.

As heard recently:
"She looks like a whale in that dress, bless her heart"

I should just make the tongue-in-cheek emoticon my sig...

[...]The downside of the Kindles is that it is one more gadget in my life, they aren't cheap,[...]

A brand new Kindle from Amazon has gone down in price to $189 as of today:

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store

Whether or not $189 is "cheap" or "not cheap" depends on one's frame of reference, but anyway I just thought that might be of interest to some ER board members. It comes with a 30 day no-questions-asked full money-back guarantee.

I figured with all the competition from IPad and the Sony reader is now $199 they would have to lower the price . Plus now that they have Kindle applications for almost every portable device it lessens the demand .Why buy a kindle when you can get something that does so much more and still have the book feature when you want ?

I figured with all the competition from IPad and the Sony reader is now $199 they would have to lower the price . Plus now that they have Kindle applications for almost every portable device it lessens the demand .Why buy a kindle when you can get something that does so much more and still have the book feature when you want ?

If you personally do not want a Kindle, then certainly you should not buy one at any price.

Kindle is Amazon's #1 seller of all their products. And wow, at just $189 starting today, it is now cheaper than it has ever been - - so hopefully approaching the price range of many who may have felt they couldn't afford a Kindle.

At least two prior substantial price cuts have been made on the present version of Kindle (the k2i) since it first became available in February, 2009. The k3 is supposed to be coming out later this year so that, plus the fact that it has been a while since the last price cut, are likely to be two factors behind the timing of this particular price cut.

When are you going to buy that iPad you have been wanting, anyway? :) Or at least I thought you wanted one before your last trip.

Ahhhggg... I paid $389.00 for my first generation Kindle that I bought about two weeks before they came out with their 2nd generation.:mad:

Yep, I consider $189 a a very good bargain.:rant::banghead:

I've forgotten what I paid for a Kindle1 one week after it came out but I figure it paid for itself three times over because it functions well enough as my only away-from-home FREE wi-fi device. It is still like part of my right hand. Sorry, this is starting to smell like spam.

I'm reading my third or fourth book on my iPod touch. It's not quite as nice as a real book, but I think that's because I have to turn the pages so often.

BookOnIpod.jpg

The quality and readability of the text is higher than that of a paper book.

Al, I'm sure someone is working on an auto-paging device at this very moment. It will detect when your eyes gets to the lower right corner of the iPod and turn the page.

Not sure how it would work for Jack Elam or Marty Feldman...

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but I like paper books. Mostly free from the library, occasionally just really cheap as in used from amazon. Excepting their mass, the mechanical properties of paper books are far superior to all e-readers. You can drop them, bend them, twist them, use them to swat at insects, use them as doorstops, ad hoc booster seats, etc. The ink in books is permanent. Battery life of a paper book - FOREVER!!!1 You can take them to the beach, let sand get in them, leave them sitting in the sun all day on your beach chair while you play in the sand or water, and no one will steal them. Take them on a weekend trip, shove them in the bottom of your backpack and who cares if they get crushed?

Paper books - the ultimate in convenience, durability and flexibility!! :D

Ahhhggg... I paid $389.00 for my first generation Kindle that I bought about two weeks before they came out with their 2nd generation.:mad:

Yep, I consider $189 a a very good bargain.:rant::banghead:

So do I! $189 is just a fabulous, fabulous price for a device that is worth considerably more, IMO. I paid $259 for mine just last March, and thought THAT price cut was terrific at the time.

I am really looking forward to finding out what the k3 is like. I guess Amazon is trying to sell off their stock of k2i's with this price cut, just like they apparently did with a big price cut on the k1 when the k2 first came out. I'm sure the k3 will be expensive at first but might be worth the upgrade, assuming they retain the advantages of previous Kindles such as e-ink.

I've forgotten what I paid for a Kindle1 one week after it came out but I figure it paid for itself three times over because it functions well enough as my only away-from-home FREE wi-fi device. It is still like part of my right hand. Sorry, this is starting to smell like spam.

I love having the unlimited free 3G internet connection too. I refuse to sign up for monthly payments so the Kindle has the best 3G internet set-up for me. I thought about the $70 cut in price compared with what I paid three months ago, and the value I have obtained from it during those three months is so much greater than $70.

I don't know about these capabilities. Could you explain what one can do free with a Kindle, other than read free books?

Ha

...You can drop them, bend them, twist them, use them to swat at insects, use them as doorstops, ad hoc booster seats, etc. The ink in books is permanent. Battery life of a paper book - FOREVER!!!1 You can take them to the beach, let sand get in them, leave them sitting in the sun all day on your beach chair while you play in the sand or water, and no one will steal them. Take them on a weekend trip, shove them in the bottom of your backpack and who cares if they get crushed? ...
Great points but hopefully you are not stress testing your library books. :nonono::)

Great points but hopefully you are not stress testing your library books. :nonono::)

As a man of science and learning, I would never do such a thing. But as a man of science and learning, it is instructive to watch the stress testing my children perform on library books all the time. :D

I don't know about these capabilities. Could you explain what one can do free with a Kindle, other than read free books?

Ha

Regarding the Kindle internet connection, the original review I read called it "clunky" which is accurate. I use it mainly to check this site when away from home. I sometimes post from it but that is awkward so those posts tend to be short. I go to a regular laptop for anything more complicated. I also enjoy reading Amazon book reviews on it. It works reasonably will on sites that are configured for mobile devices: blogs, news sites, etc.

Regarding the Kindle internet connection, the original review I read called it "clunky" which is accurate. I use it mainly to check this site when away from home. I sometimes post from it but that is awkward so those posts tend to be short. I go to a regular laptop for anything more complicated. I also enjoy reading Amazon book reviews on it. It works reasonably will on sites that are configured for mobile devices: blogs, news sites, etc.

Thnx.

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation): Kindle Store

Whether or not $189 is "cheap" or "not cheap" depends on one's frame of reference, but anyway I just thought that might be of interest to some ER board members. It comes with a 30 day no-questions-asked full money-back guarantee.

I just saw this and since I am taking a trip I am going to spring for it. Interesting when I was considering a Kindle vs a Netbook a while about they were darn near the same price now the Kindle is quite a bit cheaper and so it seems like a better value.

Martha and clifp, I hope you enjoy reading on your new Kindles as much as I enjoy reading on mine! If not, don't forget that you have 30 days to return it to Amazon, no questions asked (at least you do with the new ones, and I assume with the refurbished ones too). Some people really like Kindles, some don't so that flexibility is important. :) Oh, and also some Targets have a Kindle display so you might be able to get a look at one there.

If you have any problems with a Kindle bought through Amazon, their Kindle customer service is supposed to be very good. Oh, and also some .

My first Kindle had a display that went out and they promptly replaced me and sent the new unit. I had to return the old one within I think 30 days (they paid for shipment).

I do mostly read on the iPad now but I do still have my old Kindle. In some ways it is nicer to read on (a bit lighter in weight and the screen).

One reason I tend to pick up the iPad is that recently I bought some new books and the iPad syncs them faster than the Kindle does.

Still at the new price it really is a great deal.

I would second CuppaJoe's remarks. The browser is definitely clunky, slow, and a bit of a PITA, and remember the Kindle just gives you black and white. The Kindle is a "dedicated e-reader" and not the machine for you if web browsing is a major function that you expect. Still, you do get free 3G internet access and to those of us who are unwilling to pay a monthly fee, that's pretty nice in a pinch.

Also, it's easy to order a book from Amazon via 3G (as you might expect). It was fun, for example, when Frank and I were talking about Walden to do that. I just checked on my Kindle, discovered that the book was free, and downloaded it in a few seconds so that we could look up passages we were discussing. I have done that sort of thing in a restaurant, in the car, and so on. And no monthly fee is my idea of fun.

Back
Top Bottom