Why Kindle (and the other E-book readers)?

I bought the original version of the Kindle and still use it daily- I like the small size and ability to carry a lot of books- not unusual for me to have two or three going at once so it's easy to carry them this way. As W2R pointed out, the E ink on the Kindle is very readable and really works for me. I like that it's easy to read outside plus I can change the font size.

I recently bought an Ipad and have the Kindle app there as well and keep the two devices in synch with the books I'm reading or plan to read on both devices. I think the Kindle is better for most reading but one nice feature of the Ipad app is that you can read in a room without lights- I change the screen to white text on a black background, then reduce the brightness and can read in bed without bothering the DW.

I was planning to give my Kindle to my son since I can now use the Ipad app but going to keep them both- the Kindle is MUCH better for reading outside in sunlight. He was disappointed, lol.

...(snip)...I change the screen to white text on a black background, then reduce the brightness and can read in bed without bothering the DW.
You know there are some other things to do in that situation ... :LOL: (sorry, couldn't resist).

I don't see any need to read in the dark, either. But some people do that all the time.

I haven't even bothered to buy one of those cheap $15 Kindle lights, because I never seem to need it.

I'm in Ohio and we have this -
Ohio eBook Project

Maybe your state has something similar.

My local library is a member so we can do downloads from any member library. I've only downloaded one book and haven't read it yet. It has a time limit of 14 days so I should get to it soon.

Thanks Sue J! I found out NC has something similar and my rural county is planning on joining into it later this summer. Hooray - free popular fiction books to borrow!!

Imagine that we live in backwards land: eReaders have been around for centuries, and recently Amazon came out with this new invention called a "book." Now, instead of having all your reading material in a small lightweight device, you could go out and purchase a complex physical object for each thing you want to read.

In that world, would we even be having a discussion like this?

Imagine that we live in backwards land: eReaders have been around for centuries, and recently Amazon came out with this new invention called a "book."....

Sometimes I think that has already happened. I bought three expensive books in the last month; they are not available in any other format. I schedule time to read them at home or carry them one at a time. And to boot those kinds of books have minimal resale value.

Imagine that we live in backwards land: eReaders have been around for centuries, and recently Amazon came out with this new invention called a "book." Now, instead of having all your reading material in a small lightweight device, you could go out and purchase a complex physical object for each thing you want to read.

In that world, would we even be having a discussion like this?
Hi Al, I'm imagining another sort of story. Imagine that Apple has come out with a nice, well lit building that housed many books at no cost to me. That's right, a real brick building that housed real brick books (except in earthquake country they might not be made of bricks) and they called it an I-Library. And we drive to it and read magazines for no subscription charge. Also we can read some newspapers free too. And we could log on at home and request books from other neat Apple stores in the network.

Wow, I wonder when Steve Jobs will come out with that one? ;)

P.S. I'm not anti-Kindle, just trying to figure out their advantages. The above was just a story :).

P.S. I'm not anti-Kindle, just trying to figure out their advantages. The above was just a story :).

Well, as I indicated earlier, there are really two separate issues. First is whether you like to actually own books. Most people I know who own books like to reread them frequently and get value and enjoyment from owning them and having them close at hand. Most people who read primarily library books don't want to own books and reread them less frequently.

The other issue is for the book owners out there: Do you want to own the physical book or an e book?

We have been in the process of downsizing. I got rid of many of my owned physical books. I still need to get rid of several more bookcases full of books. It is painful to do since I am now down to books that I really want to keep but don't have room for. I am definitely prioritizing which I keep by what is available in ebooks. I am mostly keeping the books that are out of print and not available on ebooks. Many of these books are not easily findable anywhere.

I think the Kindle is a great idea . The only thing that stops me from buying one is the book cost . I read two to three books a week of current titles . I live close to the library so most cost me nothing . I occasionally buy books and then resell them so the cost is $3.00 for a best seller . If I had a Kindle it would cost me about $30 a week for something I can get for free . Now if our library had an ebook rental system I'd buy one immediately because I like the portability aspect .

I was given a small format Kindle that was surplus to my son’s needs. I have access to all the books he has on it, and he has invited me to email him and he will order anything I want.

Still I use it very little. I like physical books, and I don't really like the Kindle. I like interesting typefaces and quality paper. Also I am a very heavy library user, and have easy access to two large, excellent library systems. One is about a 10 minute walk, for the other I must drive but I use it much less. I have become acquainted with some of the librarians and I enjoy my contact with them also. My brother lived in a nice DFW suburb and he gave a stock tip to a librarian there in March 2009. It became an 8 bagger. When he showed up to read the paper or something, she would bring him coffee.

I really do not want to digitize and remotize my life any more than I already have. Life is too damn abstract and remote already.

I also resell purchased books that I was not able get from a library on Amazon.

Books do make it harder to move, but I can at least be grateful that I don't have to move all my former wife's books.

Ha

Ha, you have come up with a new reason to visit libraries that I'd not thought of -- hot librarians! :)

I also like libraries . I like the atmosphere and browsing the shelves and reading the book jackets to see if I would be interested . I also like finding books I have been wanting to read on the shelves . Plus I have great memories of going to the library when I was really young and every time I walk into one it brings back those memories .

I was given a small format Kindle that was surplus to my son’s needs. I have access to all the books he has on it, and he has invited me to email him and he will order anything I want.

Still I use it very little. I like physical books, and I don't really like the Kindle. I like interesting typefaces and quality paper. Also I am a very heavy library user, and have easy access to two large, excellent library systems. One is about a 10 minute walk, for the other I must drive but I use it much less. I have become acquainted with some of the librarians and I enjoy my contact with them also. My brother lived in a nice DFW suburb and he gave a stock tip to a librarian there in March 2009. It became an 8 bagger. When he showed up to read the paper or something, she would bring him coffee.

I really do not want to digitize and remotize my life any more than I already have. Life is too damn abstract and remote already.

I also resell purchased books that I was not able get from a library on Amazon.

Books do make it harder to move, but I can at least be grateful that I don't have to move all my former wife's books.

A Curmudgeon and a Luddite. Interesting choices... must attract a lot of Librarians.

A Curmudgeon and a Luddite. Interesting choices... must attract a lot of Librarians.

I hardly think this makes me a Luddite, or a curmudgeon. And, I am not trying to sleep with any or all of the librarians, I am just a social person who enjoys small day to day interactions.

I realize that may be odd to dyed-in-the-wool interaction avoiders, but it is what it is.

Didn't this thread request opinions about the e-book readers? Didn't I give one?

Ha

Hi Ron, I did not read your reply as "in jest" although you meant it to be taken that way. We cannot see each forum contributor's facial expression or hear the intonation. My choice is to use smiley's occasionally to lighten the tone ;):):cool:. Or maybe an end comment like ...

P.S. Just kidding.

Hi Ron, I did not read your reply as "in jest" although you meant it to be taken that way. We cannot see each forum contributor's facial expression or hear the intonation. My choice is to use smiley's occasionally to lighten the tone ;):):cool:. Or maybe an end comment like ...

P.S. Just kidding.

I agree. There's a use for them there smilies! :LOL:

Seriously though....I think we often don't realize how an off the cuff email or forum entry may inadvertently cause offence. I had a prof. once who got into big trouble with the entire class because of that. I would like to say here and now that if a comment of mine ever upsets anyone on the forum, I apologize profusely. I don't mean it!!! :flowers:

HaHa, Kindle sounds like the wrong gift for you. Your post reminds me of a
meditation aid someone gave me; it had wires and copper to place on various places around the body and handles to hold while mediating. Kindle/copper, either you're into it or you're not.;)

I also enjoy chatting with the staff at the private library. The public library has gone to digital self check out so there is less fun there.

I agree. There's a use for them there smilies! :LOL:

A perfect example of why I don't use (or believe in) such a device. What does that statement even mean?

(Now I understand how this statement can seem much more harsh than intended but I am at a lose as to which Smily (sp) might help... perhaps this :flowers: I suppose.)

A perfect example of why I don't use (or believe in) such a device. What does that statement even mean?

(Now I understand how this statement can seem much more harsh than intended but I am at a lose as to which Smily (sp) might help... perhaps this :flowers: I suppose.)

I am making a joke and showing that I am laughing......

I am making a joke and showing that I am laughing......

Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves. In any event, I am glad then we agree that Smilies are a joke.

Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves. In any event, I am glad then we agree that Smilies are a joke.

On the contrary, I am quite sure of myself. Let's end this conversation now in a respectful manner.

I think you're both wrong.

Looks more like that nervous laugh that people sometimes use to cover up for not being very sure of themselves.
One of this board's (former) members used to [-]say[/-] post some of the most viciously sarcastic and even hurtful things... but he felt that if he followed them up with a few "big grin" smilies then everything would be OK.

Back
Top Bottom