Would You Rather be Fit or Thin?

Which would you rather be?

• I'd rather look thin but be less fit (Person One)

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • I'd rather look overweight but be fit (Person Two)

Votes: 48 70.6%

• Total voters
Your post reminds me of something my Dad said to me when I was about 20, and he about 50. "Son", he said, "one of the few advantages of getting old is that you rarely find a woman you don't want."

Absolutely - I've often said over the years that I've noticed a steady increase of really attractive women. >:D

Absolutely - I've often said over the years that I've noticed a steady increase of really attractive women. >:D

Even 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing?:cool:

Even 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing?:cool:

[-]Even[/-] Particularly 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing.

neither fit nor thin - to paraphrase the late W.C. Field's:

personally I'd rather find a New Orleans style Mufalata.

heh heh heh - two years off the cig's this month(with 10 lb pot belly) and screw my 30 minute walks until Mother Nature gets below 90. :duh:

I find my visceral response to this question intriguing. As a 'mostly thin, sorta fit' person, my inclination was to immediate think this would devolve into a fattie-apologism thread.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it hasn't. A few comments towards us 'skinnies' but it has been pretty fair.

A few thoughts.

I definitely know some 'skinny-flabbies' who have low body weight yet are markedly out of shape. However, they still have the advantage of carrying low weight - much lower stress on joints, heart, etc. I think it would be easier for them to get into shape (whatever that means) than an obese person. Complete speculation on my part.

The idea that you can be obese/overweight (not sure we made the distinction here) and be completely healthy is somewhat a fallacy. There are also papers on the other side of the debate, and where the argument falls down is on cardiovascular health. Abdominal obesity IS a risk factor regardless of blood pressure, cholesterol, and other markers. Also, cancer incidence is definitely higher in overweight folk. Again, not sure what the definition of overweight is and whether that means a person is generally large or has abdominal obesity.

What does that mean in the context of this discussion? Nothing, except that regardless of our starting point we'd all benefit from exercise and working on being fit, and we can't wish ourselves something we aren't.

As someone who has always been on the heavier side of things, I'd like to try being thin. My frame is fairly big, and I carry a lot of my weight in my legs (mostly muscle). It'd be really neat to be skinny for a while (maybe a month) to see what it feels like. Having thighs that don't rub together would be wild. Gimme one of of those fast-running metabolisms that some skinny people seem to have where they can just pack away the food and not gain weight.

I believe the whole point of this was avoiding shades of gray. Thin/not so fit, or chubby/fit. Keep it simple! :)

I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be fit. My rail thin (but not fit) SIL had to be pushed up hills in our Washington DC trip where we walked about 80 miles.

I would like to be fit, and my DW to be thin :cool: ...

-Ron

Back
Top Bottom