Amazon Prime = free reading

I hope this thread is still active.

It is now. I haven’t had much luck with Prime reading and find most of my books at the public library digital section or just buy. I do take advantage of Prime slower shipping digital credits, though.

It is now. I haven’t had much luck with Prime reading and find most of my books at the public library digital section or just buy. I do take advantage of Prime slower shipping digital credits, though.

I used to find more books that I liked with the "free offers." Lately, most of the books seem to be new authors or books in the middle of a series, etc. I haven't found one that was worth worth downloading in over a year. The waiting periods are often long at my digital library, but I have a bunch of books to read while I wait. Those books aren't truly free either, but I have to pay taxes for the library whether I use it or not, so I use it heavily.

I too used to occasionally find an interesting free book in First Reads every month. But they have gone to almost 100% "chick books" (to borrow Steely's phrase) in the last year.

I too used to occasionally find an interesting free book in First Reads every month. But they have gone to almost 100% "chick books" (to borrow Steely's phrase) in the last year.

Yes, I did say that :)

I’ve taken advantage of Amazon Classics recently too. I used to get Wisehouse Classics that were well done (and free for Kindle) but they’ve disappeared.

Something to do while waiting for my nail polish to dry.

I've been paying for Kindle Unlimited. I don't really like subscriptions but I needed a new slate of books that my library doesn't have. I love to read so to me $10/month(?) is a small price to expand my library.

Amazon has had free reading material for years. My wife used to download magazines before we traveled. I’m
not sure what’s different about the new program. Maybe a bigger selection.

I've been paying for Kindle Unlimited. I don't really like subscriptions but I needed a new slate of books that my library doesn't have. I love to read so to me $10/month(?) is a small price to expand my library.

Same here. I definitely feel I get my money's worth from Kindle Unlimited. The bonus is that it's cheaper than the county library's component of my property tax, so I consider it a bargain.

Same here. I definitely feel I get my money's worth from Kindle Unlimited. The bonus is that it's cheaper than the county library's component of my property tax, so I consider it a bargain.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I’m glad you mentioned this (digital credits). I think someone has posted the solution before but can’t find it.

I also take advantage of the Prime credits offered if you opt for them at checkout. But I’ve no idea how to check on your balance if you have any.

I rented a Prime Video movie earlier this summer and to my surprise the rental was free. Wow … thanks but … huh?

You guys know that you can borrow ebooks from the library, right?

Between my Prime membership, the Kindle owner's lending library, and borrowing from two public libraries, I read 99% of the time for free. A couple times a year I buy an ebook because it's not available to borrow, but since I read an average of ~3 books a month the expense is small compared to my habit.

Philliefan, I'm a Mets fan, but ditto for me. I was slow to start ebooks since I didn't realize the free kindle app could be used to read books on my devices, but once I started there was no turning back. I may get a Kindle one of these days but phone & computer work well for me. Mostly borrow from the library & rarely buy -- too many books & I'm paring down. I'm in 2 book groups & read a lot, only go with hardcovers if an ebook is not available.

Thanks for the link. Even though it was 7 years old it's still relevant today. I was able to get a couple of interesting reads with my Prime membership.

A couple of years ago I was on Kindle Unlimited for about 6 months. I think there was a free 3 month period they used to suck me in and then I let them bill me for 3 more months. I felt that after I had read the really good books there was quite a lot of so-so books that I was reading simply because they were "free". I did not continue with Kindle Unlimited. I might go back and give it another try.

Prime Reading ain't what it used to be. I don't find much of interest there anymore. The First Reads program is getting worse as well. I think I read one, maybe two books in the past year from First Reads. I miss the Kindle Owners Lending Library. I was always able to find one book each month that I wanted to read, but they discontinued that program many years ago.

I've never bothered with Kindle Unlimited. When I browse for books on Amazon I can see which ones are part of Kindle Unlimited and it's just not a very good selection.

I love my Kindle Unlimited subscription so much. I read a lot of books through it and so my cost per book is very, very small. Many of these are the ones published only on Kindle but I still enjoy reading them. Some are books by authors who put some books on Kindle Unlimited and others you have to buy. In many cases, I've found an author that way and end up paying for some of their other books.

+1

That's been my big complaint with First Reads.

For some reason, most of the authors are women (not that there's anything wrong with that), except there's never any Sci-Fi / action hero / zombie type books.

Lol, most of the offered books could be easily made into Lifetime/Hallmark movies.

I wish amazon had a way to provide feedback for the First Reads program.

+1

For some reason, most of the authors are women (not that there's anything wrong with that), except there's never any Sci-Fi / action hero / zombie type books.

Lol, most of the offered books could be easily made into Lifetime/Hallmark movies.

I wish amazon had a way to provide feedback for the First Reads program.

October First Reads came out - 100% Hallmark movie material. Even the thriller, suspense, and crime fiction books all have female protagonists.

October First Reads came out - 100% Hallmark movie material. Even the thriller, suspense, and crime fiction books all have female protagonists.

Yes, nothing wrong with female protagonists, but every month? Month after month?

I noticed the suspense book is only 284 pages in length and is part 1 of a series.

I did get the spy thriller and will give it a go.

In the past, I could only see downloads for kindle.
I don't have a kindle, can you now download or read on a laptop?

In the past, I could only see downloads for kindle.
I don't have a kindle, can you now download or read on a laptop?

If you have the Kindle app on your device (tablet or computer).

- Rita

+1

Amazon is a publisher and Amazon is bookseller.

First Reads comes from the publisher and the items offered for free are only as good as the editors' and publisher's ability to select new and unusual material. IMO the publisher has themes that drive the choices you see. For while there it was World War II - for months.

Hang in there until the theme changes.

I don't see any issue with female protagonists... Nor with male protagonists... It doesn't make it hallmark/romance.

A first read freebie recently introduced me to the a book series by Isabella Maldonado... Protagonist is Nina Guerrera - a super tough fbi agent, former cop, with a troubled past. No romance, just mystery, cop culture, and some violence. I liked the character enough to buy (and pay for) another book with this character.

Just because a protagonist is female doesn't mean it's "Hallmark movie material".

For the record, I'm female and can't stand hallmark type movies or romance novels... But I have NO issue with female protagonists who can kick a$$.

I don't see any issue with female protagonists... Nor with male protagonists... It doesn't make it hallmark/romance.

I don't either, it is just that First Reads has gone so far over the top in that direction. I would guess 90% female protagonists and 80% female authors over the last year or so.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of Prime Reading but don’t share the view that there is gender bias. If anything, the lists look pretty balanced to me. Outside of romance the gender balance looks quite in-balance.

Perhaps Amazon has different lists of Prime Reading for different subscribers, or perhaps they present them in a personalized way.

Most of what they offer is uninteresting to me regardless of author gender or genre, excepting some classics.

The observation is about First Reads, not the whole Prime Reading library.

Back
Top Bottom