Audible and Prime

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Does anyone know how this works? I have Prime. It looks like I get free Audible books with prime. However, when I got to listen to my first book, it wants me to subscribe to Audible. It says the first 30 days is free. I don’t want to join any subscription service. I don’t even want it for 30 days free only to have to cancel it. I was hoping some here could know, is it free or is this just a hook to get me to buy something on top of Prime. Thanks.

AFAIK, it's not included with Prime, it's a premium service. If you sign up and don't cancel, you will be billed an additional charge.

You do get free ebooks with Prime, but only the ones listed under "Prime Reading" and only up to 10 books or magazines. I just went through this. Most of the books are of little interest to me, but there are a few good ones. It's a little hard to decipher because, yeah, they want more of your money.

You do get free ebooks with Prime, but only the ones listed under "Prime Reading" and only up to 10 books or magazines. I just went through this. Most of the books are of little interest to me, but there are a few good ones. It's a little hard to decipher because, yeah, they want more of your money.

So you can actually get those books and listen to them without expending money or signing up for the free 30 day trial of Audible? That's what doesn't seem possible. It seems like Audible is a service and Prime will get me fee books to use with that service, but not the service.

Sorry if i wasn't clear. Prime allows some free ebooks to read, but not to listen to. For listening you must have Audible. Or try your library or thrift stores.

Thanks. FWIW, you were far more clear than anything I could find on Amazon. Appreciate the help.

Does anyone know how this works? I have Prime. It looks like I get free Audible books with prime. However, when I got to listen to my first book, it wants me to subscribe to Audible. It says the first 30 days is free. I don’t want to join any subscription service. I don’t even want it for 30 days free only to have to cancel it. I was hoping some here could know, is it free or is this just a hook to get me to buy something on top of Prime. Thanks.

If you install the Audible app on your phone and hunt for it, there is a section of free for Prime books, or something like that. Also some of the Prime ebooks that you can get from the Amazon web site have free Audible narration. It's a little band on the title. I used it once. You can read the eBook to a point and then ask Alexa to read it and Alexa starts where you left off.

I am not currently a Prime member, so I can't be step by step precise on this --
Under Prime reading, there are a small number titles that have a companion audiobook. Most are what I will characterize as 'trash novels', but I have found a title or two to be of mild interest.
Finding them requires sifting through pages of listings until one of interest can be found.
Using filters can narrow the search.
Kindle unlimited will expand the number of titles available but requires a free trial or subscription.
Also, Audible Channels has some short format offerings. For some reason DW's Kindle came with the app, mine did not.

P.S - cross-posted with misshathaway
PSS - The four titles I can remember were - PCT and AT through hikes by Skywalker, Walden On Wheels, and Andromeda Strain.

Last edited:
If you install the Audible app on your phone and hunt for it, there is a section of free for Prime books, or something like that. Also some of the Prime ebooks that you can get from the Amazon web site have free Audible narration. It's a little band on the title. I used it once. You can read the eBook to a point and then ask Alexa to read it and Alexa starts where you left off.

Thanks. I will try that. It would be nice to be able to get a couple books they say are free and leave it at that. I don't want to get sucked into a subscription but I may just to try it out. My daughter says to use Hoopla. I guess it works through the public library for free. I like free.

My local library subscribes to Hoopla, Libby, and RB Digital, and I have found the selection of audio books between these three to cover nearly all of my desired reading needs. Definitely recommend seeing what your local library offers. The selection on Prime Audio without the Audible subscription is less than ideal.

Back
Top Bottom