Amazon shipping AMZL US

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Now in our area they use their own delivery trucks. Maybe in time it will be better and faster but the first 3 deliveries to me 2 have been 1-2 days late. This is past the 2 day "guaranteed" delivery time as a Prime member. And 1 item was not delivered due to it being damaged. As this was an add-on item I can't re-order it until I place another order with Amazon. So I bought it on ebay. Not a lot of money but still a lost sale.
Anyone else experiencing problems with AMZL US?
BTW the last delivery with UPS had a new feature on the tracking page. It showed where the truck was as it moved through the delivery day. Pretty cool especially since it showed me why our packages are always delivered later in the day. We are on the tail end of a lot of industrial deliveries. Since we're only about 7 miles from the local UPS hub I always wondered why. Not a problem but was just curious.

Have experienced both of these over the past 6 months and have only good things to say about both.

I have spoken with one of the Amazon delivery folks when I was outside at the time - they're delivering in my neighborhood with their own cars. I love that they generally take a photo of the package and where they left it. So many times in the past with other delivery companies they would show items as delivered, sometimes with a notation indicating where, we'd go outside and be searching for it - on occasion the delivery info would be incorrect (wasn't really delivered), or the location indicated was incorrect. When Amazon posts the picture, we know exactly where it is.

Since we're only about 7 miles from the local UPS hub I always wondered why. Not a problem but was just curious.

They have calculated that for you, on the day your shipment was being delivered, it cost them less to deliver themselves rather than UPS. Likely due to the density and frequency of deliveries in your area.

Out experience with the Amazon delivery people has not been good. They have been late twice and some of the delivery people seem to not know what they are doing. In our opinion, USPS and UPS are way better...

Hope they have legitimate driver's licenses. Our Illinois governor landed in prison for issuing DL to immigrants that did not know how to read our signs or drive on our roads. An accident that killed a family of 7 set off a chain of investigations that showed these licenses were being issued all over Illinois. Does Gov. Ryan ring a bell?

We were getting a bunch of Amazon Logistics deliveries for a while, but now it seems like everything here is coming USPS, even for Sunday deliveries.

The only problem we had with AMZL was when we got a package addressed to someone else, same house number, different street. It was pouring rain that day and I didn't want to walk a few blocks to redeliver it for them, so I did an online chat with Amazon to explain what happened and ask them to pick up the package and deliver it to the right address. Apparently, this was not a simple thing to understand or resolve, and it required quite some time and multiple customer support people.

In the end, they sent a UPS guy with a label to return the package to Amazon. When it arrived there, I got a surprise "refund" to my Amazon account for the item that I had never ordered or paid for. It shows up in My Orders as a return and I now know what was inside the package, so I guess it's a good thing it wasn't something this other person would want to keep private. The whole thing was so complicated I decided to just donate that amount of money to charity instead of trying to give it back to Amazon.

We have many more problems with USPS. In our area, they use a lot of part-time contractors who don’t seem to get the access code to our building. As a result deliveries are late, or are left in the lobby instead of brought to the mailroom or left at our front door. UPS always comes to our front door, which is nice.

The last thing I ordered from Amazon came via AMZL and arrived damaged. The package might have been handled roughly, but IMO it was probably due more to the lack of padding. Everything else I order comes with those air pillows, but this did not. It wouldn't be a big deal except that it is a food product, and there's a chance that the bag was actually torn before shipping. They gave me a refund and offered to pay for expedited shipping for a replacement, so I'm happy.

I did find that our local supermarket pharmacy had the insulin syringes we needed at the same price as the best one I found on Amazon, and we got them today, so that was much easier than waiting for them, since we were there anyway.

Attachments

• 2018-11-21 16.31.10.jpg
    2018-11-21 16.31.10.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 30
We seem to get mixed modes of delivery from Amazon. Sometimes from their vehicles, sometimes UPS and sometimes 3rd party subcontractors. I'm pretty sure that they all use GPS for delivery but the drivers must not know how to use or follow the GPS instructions. Just yesterday, the UPS truck drove past our house, parked around the corner on the adjacent street, and walked across the lawn to deliver. She said she didn't know how she passed up the driveway. Another incident yesterday, DW was out picking up the mail and saw a van driving down the bicycle path! She walked up and asked if they were lost. That thought they could use it as a short cut to "X" street. She said you were already on "X" street before you turned onto the bicycle path. They had a tough time backing up since the van was stacked so high with packages for delivery, they couldn't see out the rear window.

Mostly Amazon does a good job in delivery IMO. I really like the pictures of the item sitting on my front porch which I sometimes, but not always get. I just wish they would at least ring the doorbell when they drop a package off.

Now in our area they use their own delivery trucks. Maybe in time it will be better and faster but the first 3 deliveries to me 2 have been 1-2 days late. This is past the 2 day "guaranteed" delivery time as a Prime member. And 1 item was not delivered due to it being damaged. As this was an add-on item I can't re-order it until I place another order with Amazon. So I bought it on ebay. Not a lot of money but still a lost sale.
BTW the last delivery with UPS had a new feature on the tracking page. It showed where the truck was as it moved through the delivery day. Pretty cool especially since it showed me why our packages are always delivered later in the day. We are on the tail end of a lot of industrial deliveries. Since we're only about 7 miles from the local UPS hub I always wondered why. Not a problem but was just curious.

I had two Amazon deliveries via AMZL US last week, for the first time, and both arrived promptly, on time, and in good condition. AMZL US has the same capability of showing just where the truck is, and how many deliveries must be made before the one being tracked. At least I read on reddit about that being the case here in New Orleans, but didn't check to see it myself on these past two orders. Apparently you have to check within about 1/2 hour before delivery, to see it.

I had no idea that UPS had started doing that too! So thanks.

We saw one of the AMZL US minivans driving around our neighborhood, and wow!! Brand new, shiny, and in perfect condition. Must be a lot nicer for the drivers than what the UPS drivers have to drive.

Our recent purchase of 24 cans of dog food got "lost". Amazon asked us to reorder. Seems like it's been their vans doing the heavy delivering around here. How do you "lose" a case dog food? :confused:

Oh, and I recently saw my Echo had a yellow flashing ring...I'll save you the back and forth, but eventually I figured out that it was a package notification. (I think it was that damaged order that I mentioned above.) Anyway, I still haven't decided if that's neat or annoying. :D Anyone else get that on their Echo?

I have had nothing but good experiences with AMZL US. For the past 6-9 months, I have gotten ~10 deliveries a month. I like that "Alexa" informs me that I "have a delivery scheduled for today." Also, being notified that "Your … has been delivered" allows me to retrieve the item from the porch within a couple minutes so it doesn't attract thievery.

Hope they have legitimate driver's licenses. Our Illinois governor landed in prison for issuing DL to immigrants that did not know how to read our signs or drive on our roads. An accident that killed a family of 7 set off a chain of investigations that showed these licenses were being issued all over Illinois. Does Gov. Ryan ring a bell?

Nope, never heard of him! I am sure Amazon would vet that before lending the guy the dough for the van.

I just wish they would at least ring the doorbell when they drop a package off.

I think they toss the package onto the porch from about 5 feet away. If we are lucky we’ll hear the thunk as it lands, but god forbid they take two more steps, extend their arm and actually ring the bell. At times we know Amazon has arrived because of the music blaring from their truck. <SMH>

Oh, and I recently saw my Echo had a yellow flashing ring...I'll save you the back and forth, but eventually I figured out that it was a package notification. (I think it was that damaged order that I mentioned above.) Anyway, I still haven't decided if that's neat or annoying. :D Anyone else get that on their Echo?

I got a package notification on my Fire HD.

Their own delivery has not worked well for us. We have experienced:
- Items claimed to have been delivered that never showed up.
- Items whose status ended us as "we lost it, we don't know where it is, apply for a refund/exchange"... and a week or 2 later, the original item shows up.
- Items we have received whose order status is still "your shipment has been delayed in transit"
- One item whose status was "hand delivered to home occupant", but DW and I were both in all day that day and heard nothing... That night, taking out the trash, we later found the item near bushes at the bottom of our driveway.

So... compared to them delivering via USPS, I am not impressed. :)

Got another AMZL US package delivered today, on time and at the front door! Go Amazon!
Hopefully this is just growing pains and they'll improve quickly.

I just received a notification from Alexa: "A package from Amazon Shopping will arrive today. To avoid surprises I will not give product information until after the new year."

Update: A half hour after receiving the Notification, I happened to see (going after a cup of coffee) a white van pulling away from the front of our house. Sure enough, there was the package laying in front of the door. Five minutes latter, Alexa informed me that "A package from Amazon Shopping has been delivered."

My guess is the drive scans the package when he/she puts it on the truck and then scans something else (trip sheet?) after the delivery. Sometimes there is a great delay between the to-be-delivered notice and the delivery itself -- as much as several hours. The delivery notice is always 5-10 minutes after the delivery never instantly like, for instance, UPS and USPS.

Last edited:
I usually get a text and email from Amazon saying a package will be delivered, then another one saying it has been delivered.

Some tips from someone (me) who has had many hundreds of Amazon orders:
1) If an item doesn't meet the prime delivery guarantee, get on a chat. They will typically extend your prime by a month or give you a small credit ($5/$10) to use.
2) If an item is damaged, they will reship it immediately (if in stock) or asap (if not in stock) - even if it is an add-on item. You will not have to reorder w/other items to get it shipped.

Having said that, Amazon's delivery is much much worse now that they are using USPS. To the point where I am seriously considering not renewing my prime come January.

Having said that, Amazon's delivery is much much worse now that they are using USPS. To the point where I am seriously considering not renewing my prime come January.

I have had no issues with Amazon/USPS. The item has always arrived within the 2-day period.

In any event, I don't see how Amazon can influence USPS anymore than all the other's who have tried. How would [-]punishing Amazon[/-] leaving Prime fix things? Where would you purchase and who would deliver it?

We get packages from Amazon about 2-3 times per week on average. Rarely have any issue with delivery. When I do, they are very quick to resolve. I'm typically not even aware of who delivers, nor do I care, as long as it arrives on time and in good condition. I have a UPS My Choice account, so if it's UPS, I get lots of notifications and status updates (almost too much). If it's USPS and won't fit in the mailbox, our delivery person brings it to the front door with our mail and rings the doorbell. We usually have a nice chat. In any case, I always get notifications via Alexa that the package was (or will be) delivered at a certain time. The flashing yellow/green ring on our Echo is my signal to check the front porch.

Not that it helps with this specifically but you can sign up for the USPS "Informed Delivery" service at https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action. You will get an email featuring a photocopy of each piece of mail that is to be delivered that day. There are no photocopies of packages or large pieces (promotional stuff, for instance) but it does tell you if they would be amongst the delivery.

I find this to be a nice touch -- something not often found with USPS.

FWIW, if you really need to track your Amazon order you can simple ask Alexa, "Where's my stuff?"

Back
Top Bottom