4th of July

*Corona by the pool.
*Smoke up one of my world famous briskets
*Keep a close watch on my second year med student who likes to use his Dad as a crash test dummy.   Yeah, they were recently doing prostate exams. :-[

JPatrick said:
Keep a close watch on my second year med student who likes to use his Dad as a crash test dummy.   Yeah, they were recently doing prostate exams. :-[

I hope he never tries doing a pap smear on you.

JPatrick said:
*Corona by the pool.
*Smoke up one of my world famous briskets
*Keep a close watch on my second year med student who likes to use his Dad as a crash test dummy.   Yeah, they were recently doing prostate exams. :-[

And of course I will fly the Flag 8)

Not only is it patriotic, but I enjoy confusing the neighbors.

The annual UFO Festival in Roswell, NM is this weekend. Yay!
The people watching should be entertaining. :)

On the fourth we're going to a party at an off-beat guy's house. He's just built a bread oven in the back yard, so he's going to fire it up and we're going to make pizza and bread (and drink beer, of course).

I like major fireworks, but it's pretty iffy here. We have to drive 40 minutes to Eureka, and often the fog rolls in and spoils the fireworks.

Bike ride Saturday (20 miles-ish) and Monday (10-ish).

Movie and dinner with a friend Sunday.

Barbecue at SIL's house then dash over to friend's house for fireworks display.

Laundry, buying dog food, other general chores.

Hawaii's Chinese culture makes a great excuse for the enthusiastic application of tons/$$MM of fireworks. At least the 4th isn't as bad as New Year's Eve (or Chinese New Year) but it'll get smoky. People are expected to buy a $25 permit for "authorized" explosives but there's always a few entrepreneurs. So the celebrating has already begun in our neighborhood, especially after midnight.

There might be a small south shore swell next week, so we'll join the crowds for that.

Otherwise we'll laze around the house on the 4th listening to the detonations and then we'll haul the whole family down to Ford Island (in the middle of Pearl Harbor). We'll set our beach chairs on the edge of the channel and then we'll watch the Aloha Tower fireworks first, next the Hickam AFB display, and finally Pearl Harbor's blowout. Then we'll enjoy the "amateur" displays on the way home... to sleep with earplugs.

Nords said:
Hawaii's Chinese culture makes a great excuse for the enthusiastic application of tons/$$MM of fireworks.  At least the 4th isn't as bad as New Year's Eve (or Chinese New Year) but it'll get smoky.  People are expected to buy a $25 permit for "authorized" explosives but there's always a few entrepreneurs.  So the celebrating has already begun in our neighborhood, especially after midnight. 

There might be a small south shore swell next week, so we'll join the crowds for that.

Otherwise we'll laze around the house on the 4th listening to the detonations and then we'll haul the whole family down to Ford Island (in the middle of Pearl Harbor).  We'll set our beach chairs on the edge of the channel and then we'll watch the Aloha Tower fireworks first, next the Hickam AFB display, and finally Pearl Harbor's blowout.  Then we'll enjoy the "amateur" displays on the way home... to sleep with earplugs.
Saw a few of those displays.  The only thing more amazing than the shear volume of fireworks was the smoke that hung in the lower areas.  Lots of folks reaching for the respirators and heading for the ER's. :eek:

Yup. Movie theaters (with good air-conditioning filters) stay open until midnight to offer a haven from respiratory distress...

DH is working Sunday; we may go see the new Batman flick on Monday, then perhaps find someplace to watch the fireworks from the festival downtown.

Fishing early (before jet skis and boats turn the river to a froth).
Back home by cocktail hour with DW, and steaks on the grill.
Hey, it's just like every other day :)

JG

VoyT said:
   DH is working Sunday; we may go see the new Batman flick on Monday, then perhaps find someplace to watch the fireworks from the festival downtown.

For some reason I dislike fireworks. I can see why kids like 'em. I would rather watch grass grow.

JG

Wellllllll - even though fireworks are illegal here - that hasn't stopped anybody in the thirty years since I've been here.

Short drive to the legal side of the line to the fireworks stand.

Heh, heh, heh, heh,

Is 61 too old to be a kid:confused:

Or just set the outdoor chairs on the back deck - weather permiting and watch New Orleans, St Bernard, and St Taminy in the distance.

Pretty old fashioned 4th for me.

Brats, Beer and Fireworks and then to Bed early! :)

Fireworks, tame ones, are legal here. I usually buy a $50 pack of sparkling fountains and whatnot, set them on a board on top of a ladder and fire away. Noticed last year that almost everyone in the neighborhood fires off tons of them, so maybe this year we'll just pack up the wee one in his backpack carrier and walk around the neighborhood checking out the show for free. Probably do the usual bbq and slog around the back patio and the pool all day...

Sat - Monster flea market at the aerodrome. Good place for DW to buy some silly goo-goos and gaa-ggas. I'll be dickering for woodworking supplies and keeping an eye out for Jeep stuff. BBQ Salmon fillets and dinner (for 2) on the deck.

Sun - No plans except chase DW around. :-*

Mon- BBQ with beer and all the trimmings at SIL's

THE FLAG IS UP!

BUM said:
Sat -  Monster flea market at the aerodrome.  Good place for DW to buy some silly goo-goos and gaa-ggas. I'll be dickering for woodworking supplies and keeping an eye out for Jeep stuff.    BBQ Salmon fillets and dinner (for 2) on the deck.

Sun - No plans except chase DW around.  :-*

Mon-  BBQ with beer and all the trimmings at SIL's

THE FLAG IS UP!

Uhh, "The Flag is Up" ? Does this have anything to do with your planned
Sunday activities? Just curious. :)

JG

Blackened steak - thin sliced steak strips marinated 2-4 hrs in Teriyaki and LSU Tiger sauce. Grill on a black iron plate with onion and bell pepper - make Po - boys - dressed or 'notin on it'.

Or - as a dam Yankee - Philly cream cheese - and call it Yankee food. The tough part is selecting the brand of French bread.

Sun - open - maybe:confused: - berled shrimps. Or crabs. Or crawfish. Or some of each.

Mon - hot dogs - all kinds - wieners, Brats, polish sausage - with all the stuff - horseradish, saurkraut, onions, chili, etc.
Potato salad, cole slaw - the usual suspects.

MRGALT2U said:
Uhh, "The Flag is Up" ? Does this have anything to do with your planned
Sunday activities? Just curious. :)

JG

He said, the flag not the pole.
Flags tend to flap around like wet noodles.
JG, don't you know the difference. :D

MJ said:
He said, the flag not the pole.
Flags tend to flap around like wet noodles.
JG, don't you know the difference. :D

At my age, it has little impact one way or the other.

JG

I think you could have left out "at my age" and still been accurate over a wide range of time periods... ;)

We are having the traditional July 4th neighborhood party in our backyard. Actually it will be in our yard and the neighbors. We are having burgers and hotdogs off the grill. Potatoe salad, baked beans, chips, and lots of beer and fireworks. The fireworks will be off the boat house and into the lake. We usually have around 25 to 30 people of all ages. I have my two granddaughters (ages 8 and 12) visiting, they wouldn't miss a July 4th around here. It is a magical time with fireworks going off all around the lake area.

Back
Top Bottom