Amazon Prime Day

We normally do not pay much attention to Amazon Prime Day but DW saw a good price on Fire HD 8 Tablets with 16 GB for $49.99 each. We ordered two and we also ordered two SanDisk 32 GB micro SD memory cards to update them at $12.99 each. At $62.98 each I think that is a pretty good deal. We also ordered new zippered/padded carrying cases for the new tablets. They were $9.99 each. These will replace the old Fire 7 tablets we currently use. We want to try the slightly larger size since it should be easier on the eyes to surf the net or read Kindle books.

I also ordered a GOLOO 700A car jump starter for $55.99. I have wanted one of these compact jump starters for a long time. They are really small and easy to store in the trunk of the car. Not so sure this was a great price or not, but it was in a price range I was willing to pull the trigger on it.

Agree. Disappointing. Lots of hype. Looking for Acer laptop. Only one or
two laptops on sale. Not the ones I'm interested in.:nonono:

I spent $280 on 8 items, prime day "saved" me $53. It's all stuff that was on my wish list that I intended to buy anyway so it's all good.

Tupperware for meal prepping, and a set of vacuum seal bags that will hopefully make moving in a few months a little easier. Other than that, maybe a Zojirushi bread maker if it's at a steep enough discount later tonight, otherwise I'm not really impressed with what I've found.

I've found a few thread on forums around online from people who claim to work for Amazon, with the general confession that these are last ditch efforts to get rid of a bunch of crap that doesn't sell very well before they stock up for the things that sell better for the end of year holidays.

I think the exception to the crap is the Amazon branded stuff (Echo, Kindle). But there they are locking you into their ecosystem, so they are willing to give a "deal."

Reviews of this said it was 'almost squirrel proof" Needed another feeder, well maybe not.

51xCLfYnudL._SY450_.jpg

The Amazon Echo at half price was a great deal. The rest I guess just depends on whether you needed the stuff they put on sale. It was so much stuff moving so quickly that it was hard to know how to sort through it all.

But we did buy two Echos, and just got the first one a few hours ago. It's kind of fun, but I was a little disappointed with the sound quality. I guess I'll have to wait for Apple Homepod in December. I wouldn't count on any half price sales on those any time soon.

Tom52 - I'm tempted to pull the trigger on getting a Kindle. Two questions: if you buy the separate 32GB memory card, is it easy to add that to the tablet (or better to spend $30 more to get the Kindle with more memory?). And where is that padded sleeve for $9.99 you mentioned?

Another benefit with Amazon Prime Day, I found out at the last minute, was the Amazon Visa rewards card was giving 20% back on a bunch of items. I was able to pick up a few Victorinox knives that I've been keeping an eye on since they always get featured with high remarks in yearly reviews at America's Test Kitchen.

Wow, that was disappointing. I browsed through the first page of deals, not seeing anything I wanted, and noticed that the router I bought in April was on sale. I looked to see how much I would have saved - - - and is $20 more expensive now than it was back then. That's not too inspiring. :( I'll keep looking, though. Maybe I'll find something.

If I were you I'd send back the router, and demand that they sell you one at the sale price. Of course, I'm an idiot.

I bought 2 testing kits from 23and me, for my daughters. Half price. :)

Last edited:
Had a $25 gift card from a friend. Used it to buy an Echo Dot for $12.51.

But we did buy two Echos, and just got the first one a few hours ago. It's kind of fun, but I was a little disappointed with the sound quality.

Noooo! That's what I feared. Haven't gotten mine yet. I bet the Echo was the #1 selling item on Prime Day.

I had been looking for a specific toaster oven. During the Prime sale I put it on my "wish list" and checked it numerous times that night. The next morning I checked my list and it had gone down $35. I immediately got it and it had free shipping also. 30 minutes it was back to regular price. I didn't need anything else and was very happy to have looked when I did !

We got $39 off one of those Instant Pot cooker gadgets. Hopefully it lives up to it's reputation (that would be great!).

The FIRE tablet sale seems like a good deal, but we already have ipads.

_B

We got $39 off one of those Instant Pot cooker gadgets. Hopefully it lives up to it's reputation (that would be great!).

The FIRE tablet sale seems like a good deal, but we already have ipads.

_B
I use the instant pot at least twice a week. Maybe misleading as cooking steel steel cut oatmeal at this altitude is slightly difficult.

Check out "dad's cook dinner" great for recepies.

In for an Echo. A cadence/speed sensor for my road bike was something I splurged on. $7 for an 11 speed quick link. $30 Found some Columbia shirts for <$15. It's the brand I wear most, so that was nice. Wireless meat thermometer to replace the wired one that recently broke. A few gifts for upcoming birthdays.

Tom52 - I'm tempted to pull the trigger on getting a Kindle. Two questions: if you buy the separate 32GB memory card, is it easy to add that to the tablet (or better to spend $30 more to get the Kindle with more memory?). And where is that padded sleeve for $9.99 you mentioned?

I don't expect to have any problems changing the memory card. Last year we updated Fire 7 tablets with a larger memory card and it seemed to be easy even for me.

I don't know how to make a link to the padded sleeve but I can give you the description: Armor Wear padded neoprene zipper carrying sleeve with accessory pocket for 8 inch tablet. The dimensions listed in the description appear to be an exact fit for the Fire HD 8 tablet.

I bought an Echo. Had a $60 Amazon gift card so final cost was like $34. Got it today and having fun playing with it. Just made a "vietnam era" music play list my husband is enjoying right now. I wanted to buy 2 instant pots for xmas gifts for my adult children but they only had the 8 qt. on sale and that's too big. Will wait for Black Friday. Also have some walking shoes and shorts coming tomorrow.

I use the instant pot at least twice a week. Maybe misleading as cooking steel steel cut oatmeal at this altitude is slightly difficult.

Check out "dad's cook dinner" great for recepies.

Thank you, I'll do that! :)

_B

Here's an article about the top selling Prime Day items in each country:

Top-selling Amazon Prime Day items from around the world: PHOTOS - Business Insider

Those of you in the U.S. who bought Echo Dots, 23andMe kits, and Instant Pots were right on point.

I bought accessories from Amazon for the new laptops that I did not purchase from them. The only thing that was a Prime Day deal was the universal memory card reader that DH needed because his new laptop doesn't have a compact flash slot.

I bought an Echo (50% off) to replace the Echo Dot at the vacation home. I'll move the Dot to our bedroom at the main house. I also snagged a Keurig with 40 coffee pods for $68. I've been thinking about giving a Keurig a try and the price was right, so why not?

Just now I hit the button on a Roomba. I'm sure DH will roll his eyes when it shows up on the doorstep, but since neither one of us is diligent with the vacuuming it probably will be a nice addition to the household.

your gonna love the kcups. perfect cup every time(almost)

I bought an Echo Dot on Prime Day and received it last week. I think it will be handy but a funny thing just happened... I have the CBS morning show on and they are doing ap piece on a robot in the form of a cheetah being developed at MIT and as part of the piece the audio says "Alexa, open Cheetah"... and my Alexa responds "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that". :D

I bought an Echo Dot on Prime Day and received it last week. I think it will be handy but a funny thing just happened... I have the CBS morning show on and they are doing ap piece on a robot in the form of a cheetah being developed at MIT and as part of the piece the audio says "Alexa, open Cheetah"... and my Alexa responds "I'm not quite sure how to help you with that". :D

Well, I guess that's better than finding an Amazon-ordered cheetah on your doorstep tomorrow..

Back
Top Bottom