Amazon Prime Warnng!

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This may have been covered before, but I have not seen it.

I got two emails in the past couple of days. One confirming my HBO order and the other my Starz order. Only problem is I did not order either. I rooted around the Amazon site and sure enough it showed I had order the free trial of both, and my credit card would be dinged ant the end of the 'trial' period.

I canceled both! It took a while but on the chat line I was informed that I might have clicked on a movie or show that required the subscription. I have been looking at different movies on Prime, but never clicked to watch a movie. I have brought up the pre-screen, and noticed an additional service was required, and backed out. i.e. I never watched or started watching a show.

All I can figure out is that was enough to activate the free trial. At any rate, I cancled the free trial, and changed my password.

I got an odd email from Amazon today saying in part "Hello ------,

Unfortunately we will not be able to deliver your package as it has been lost in transit or damaged. We are very sorry about this.

Please contact us and we will do what we can to make this right for you."

But this order was delivered to an Amazon Locker and I had picked it up and nothing was damaged or lost. Clicking on the tracking status shows the order was picked up too.

I got an odd email from Amazon today saying in part "Hello ------,

Unfortunately we will not be able to deliver your package as it has been lost in transit or damaged. We are very sorry about this.

Please contact us and we will do what we can to make this right for you."

But this order was delivered to an Amazon Locker and I had picked it up and nothing was damaged or lost. Clicking on the tracking status shows the order was picked up too.

You absolutely sure that email came from Amazon and not from somebody spoofing Amazon? I get crap like that almost daily - but once you look at the actual email address, it becomes clear that it's not from who it says it's from.

I got an odd email from Amazon today saying in part "Hello ------, ... Clicking on the tracking status shows the order was picked up too.

Any time you see anything odd about any email: Don't click anything. You can go to your amazon account directly for order info, but clicking the email links is never a good idea if it's suspect.

Thanks for posting this! I got the damaged in transit email and another saying that my purchase was refunded to my credit card.

ETA: I don't think that mine is a scam. My Amazon orders page says that it was damaged in shipment.

Last edited:
I subscribed to Amazon Prime without knowing it a year ago. I ordered something like I’ve done for years, and 30 days later I got an Amazon invoice for $99 :confused: Logged in and it showed me as a Prime member? When I called and said I didn’t enroll, they reversed the charge with no fuss, and told me it must have been checked on my prior order.

It’s an old trick, not unique to Amazon by any means, many internet services (you might not want) have boxes subtly checked by default - so you have to read thru everything and make sure nothing is checked you don’t want. They hope you won’t bother to cancel, and I’m sure it works sometimes or they wouldn’t all do it...

Last edited:
You absolutely sure that email came from Amazon and not from somebody spoofing Amazon? I get crap like that almost daily - but once you look at the actual email address, it becomes clear that it's not from who it says it's from.

Any time you see anything odd about any email: Don't click anything. You can go to your amazon account directly for order info, but clicking the email links is never a good idea if it's suspect.

I first suspected that the email might be a spoof but I did go ahead an click in the link after cross referencing the order number which did match the order from Amazon.

The link led me to my Amazon order and status of the item I did receive.

As a followup, to be extra safe, I just double checked the link over at Norton's Safeweb checker site can the link came up clean.

Norton Websafe is a nice site to use for checking sites not sure of :cool::

https://safeweb.norton.com/

Attachments

• amazon check.jpg
    amazon check.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 38
UPDATE: I got an email from Amazon, reasonably sure it was canned, but you can go to your settings and set a pin for digital downloads.

Back
Top Bottom