Any Experience w/ FedEx Overnight?

My 3 packages were delivered today before noon, by a pleasant Fedex uniformed driver in a yellow Penske truck. Which is usual this time of year.
BTW these 3 boxes were a $2500 order! And the tracking system had no updates until they were delivered.

This time of year, UPS sets up a POD in the clubhouse parking lot, and a delivery guy in a cart delivers to the neighborhood homes from there.

Amazingly our 75 pound digital piano box made it in that cart contraption standing vertical. No damage.

OP here w/ a happy ending and apologies to FedEx for besmirching their reputation.

Me too!:facepalm:

Unable to reach anyone at Home Depot by phone I resorted to their online form regarding orders, saying that as of 8:25 PM yesterday the package had not been delivered. About an hour later I walked past the front door and could see the box on the front porch! I've never had a package delivered that late so apparently those guys/gals are working some heavy overtime.

Went back to the online form and wrote essentially "Nevermind".:angel:

We need to be a little careful when talking "FedEx" as there are AFIK three flavors.

Flavor one is the original carrier handling air shipments and overnights.

Flavor two is Fedex ground, which at one point and maybe still is operated by franchisees and is a totally separate system.

Flavor three is a combination of Fedex (ground, maybe?) and the USPS. Fedex handles the pickups and transportation, then hands the packages off to USPS for final delivery.

In my experience all the FedEx flavors, UPS, and USPS have screwed up at one point or another. I have also had the occasional delivery made a day or two early vs promise date. It's just a statistical thing. No one can get 100% accuracy on millions of shipments. The other thing to remember is that all of them are strongly motivated to deliver on time or ahead of time, as any late shipments take up physical warehouse space that is limited. If packages were to start piling up, there would be big trouble.

A comment on "Flavor Three". When I get a notification that a package is on the way, I always check the website. In the case of "flavor Three" they will also give you the USPS tracking number. I search there and request notification.

Expecting a package today. Just a few minutes ago my phone dings. Before I have time to read the text there is a knock on the door. By the time I get to the door, the driver is backing away, and the package is on the porch.

Had a tv from amazon show up broken 2 weeks ago shippef via fedex, amazon sent another and a call tag for the broken one for UPS to pick up, UPS picked it up a few days ago, today fedex delivered it back to me, UPS never put the return sticker on the box.
Had amazon send me a printable shipping label and dropped it off at the ups depot 15 minutes up the road.

I'd place FedEx a distance second to UPS. UPS is the only delivery service that seems to be able to get my packages to me on time, 100% of the time.

BTW, all of their tracking services could be improved, a lot.

Well I wrote the post above a few days early. UPS just missed their first delivery date to me as of Friday. We waited at home all day and would occasionally check their website for updated delivery info. Their website said the package was loaded on the local truck and out for delivery "mid-morning". Status was changed to "reschedule delivery" about 7:30pm. Hopefully this was just an anomaly (yes I know it happens) and is not a indication of yet another "great companies" failure in customer service.

Seems like so many companies are built on great customer services but then......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom