Anybody familiar w/ Malt O Meal

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Today I bought a box of cereal at Big Lots made by these guys.....50% more stuff for 80% of normal cereal type prices. HQ in Minneapolis.
Anybody have any experience w/ their stuff?

Malt-o-meal ... ate lots of it while snow camping. It was a kind of hot cereal that needed boiling water much like oatmeal. I would not go out of my way to eat malt-o-meal nor oatmeal. Nor would I buy a big box of anything that I might not like.

Malt-O-Meal is great stuff, if you like hot cereal. I used to like it with brown sugar when I was a kid. Haven't had it in years.

My first job, 15 years ago, was a stocker in a grocery store. I remember stocking malt-o-meal cold cereal bags. They were larger and cheaper than the main name-brand cereals. Only difference I know of is that they come in a bag instead of a box. Less cost for them so less cost for the comsumer. Not any lesser quality. The company I work for now makes some of the bags for Malt-O-Meal products.

Thanks all for the replies.....kind of got a heart attack when I read about the hot mush connotation as I was looking for my emergency breakfast fund when DW doesn't cook which isn't often but unpredictable. Sounds like from
aaron's link that they've branched out into normal cold stuff which is what I thought it was when I looked casually at the box before I got it....so perhaps all is well.

Their imitations of name brand cerals seem fine to me. We don't eat stuff like that anymore, but back in the poor old days we bought them quite often. DD never knew the difference. The dogs liked it too, but they're not gourmets.

Yep, they used to be hot cereal only, now they do knock-offs of name brand cereals.

Unrelated, but about knock-off cereals, so I can't resist:
Dad Defends Purchase of Bargain Brand Cereal (The Onion)

"I told them Cocoa-Roos are no different from Cocoa Puffs," Showalter said. "The only difference is that bird on the box. What these kids don't understand is that when you buy Cocoa Puffs, you're mostly paying for that bird."

Folks my age will remember the "Get on the Malt-o-meal Mobile" commercials from childhood. The catchy song is still stuck in my head.

In addition to producing their own brand, Malt O Meal is one of the country's largest producers of Corporate Brand (Store Brand) cereals.

In many retailers their store brand version of "Frosted Mini Wheats" out sells the Kellogg's brand. In general, they are known for very high quality NBE (National Brand Equivalent) products.

From a business stand point, there seems be an internal struggle as to their brand identity (whether they want to be a branded company or a private label company). This has caused them to loose sales to Ralston... the largest producer of store brand cereals.

I like the malt-o-meal hot cereal - just use an oversize bowl if you microwave it to avoid an overflowing mess.

I know walmart carries Malt O Meal brand cereal. Prices are pretty cheap vs name brand but not necessarily cheaper than their Great Value store brand cereal. I have been ok with Malt O meal the times we bought it, but haven't purchased in last few years since I have found cheaper cereal elsewhere.

Malt-o-Meal? Isn't that something that's kept up on the shelf with your Ovaltine? :D

Malt-o-Meal, Ovaltine, and some fresh baked Toll House cookies in the cookie jar! :D

And if we're good, we can go watch Kukla Fran and Ollie on TV :LOL:

Black and white TV, of course. There was a family in the neighborhood who had a color TV... brown... it was one of those big wood console jobs, $$.

Back
Top Bottom