Anyone Order from AliExpress?

I got disappointed only a couple of times, when the quality was not what I expected. But then, perhaps I expected too much for so little money.

I got disappointed only a couple of times, when the quality was not what I expected. But then, perhaps I expected too much for so little money.
That reminds me I once ordered two sets of blank key and the Transponder chips for my car, trying to create cheap backups. It is simple with the chip programing also got the programmer from AliE) but I had a tough time finding a quality locksmith to cut the working key from blanks. The one I tried locally just couldn't make a working clone (I could tell the resolution was not there and admittely the blade is symmatrical so it may be it is out of their expertise). I still have the other set of blank waiting to find the right locksmith who are willing to take the task.

I guess I am trying to say while it may be a bit or miss doing transaction with AliE it is also a hit or miss to find quality labor in the local area. At least I did not spend large sum of money to get the failed results (the local car dealer charges $200 to get the key made - they send the order to the same local locksmith...).

And it continues...

Dear friend,we feel very sorry that your order is still under protection period,and we will ask the shipping company to be faster,could you please cancel the dispute for us and wait patiently for more few days?

They just won't give up. Every time I get another dishonest message convinces me more that disputing this order is worth the effort. As I've said, the item was not shipped, and the tracking numbers they gave me were both from a non-US shipper. I'd paid for shipping from the US.

This all started over $1? You must already be retired to put this level of effort in...lol

With Ali it is all about expectations, don't expect a lot and you wont be disappointed. If that goes against your nature then I would advise against using them.

Also, most of them don't speak English and everything is being done via google translate which is good, but not great. So when you are dealing with them be clear and concise and you have a better chance of a good translation.

And it continues...

They just won't give up. Every time I get another dishonest message convinces me more that disputing this order is worth the effort. As I've said, the item was not shipped, and the tracking numbers they gave me were both from a non-US shipper. I'd paid for shipping from the US.

Last edited:
Just an update from my order.....

DH just brought the mail in and tossed a package on the table. I wasn't expecting anything, so I was kind of surprised. Turns out it is my package from AliExpress. I ordered pieces from 6 different shops but they put all of the packs in one package before shipping. I'm very happy with the pieces. Although I'd never mix them with real Legos, I seriously cant tell the difference.

I ordered 12/7. They shipped my package 2 days after my order and told me it should arrive between 12/22 and 1/10. Considering I got it today and the USPS isn't exactly "predictable" these days, I was pretty surprised and happy.

Just got my 1st of 6 items from a 12/28 order, much quicker than I expected.

Just an update from my order.....

DH just brought the mail in and tossed a package on the table. I wasn't expecting anything, so I was kind of surprised. Turns out it is my package from AliExpress. I ordered pieces from 6 different shops but they put all of the packs in one package before shipping. I'm very happy with the pieces. Although I'd never mix them with real Legos, I seriously cant tell the difference.

I ordered 12/7. They shipped my package 2 days after my order and told me it should arrive between 12/22 and 1/10. Considering I got it today and the USPS isn't exactly "predictable" these days, I was pretty surprised and happy.

I ordered a hockey jersey through them once. I had pretty low expectations, but you couldn't beat the price.

The jersey arrived and was of decent quality. The only problem was the sleeve length was way too long. I didn't even try contacting the seller. The few times I've worn the jersey, I just fold up the sleeves.

... I ordered pieces from 6 different shops but they put all of the packs in one package before shipping...

Shipping from China used to be extremely cheap, nearly free. I understand that it was because China enjoyed favorable rates reserved for 3rd world countries, which it stopped being long ago. This led to small packages being shipped from China and delivered by US Postal workers for pennies.

In 2019, the US negotiated with the international organization called the UPU (Universal Postal Union) to charge more for delivery rates to US addresses. In late 2019, I started to see packages I ordered on AliExpress come bundled as described above, and the shipping charges went up to $1-2 for small items, instead of being "free".

I think air carriers from China did the bundling to save on the fee charged by US postal for delivery. I don't know whether the bundling is done in China, or once the packages get past US customs here.

Another new thing I saw was the charge for US taxes. No taxes were applied prior to late 2019.

All in all, I think it is fair that the US Postal does not have to deliver small packages for pennies, while a small domestic letter costs $0.55. It used to be that little electronic parts like IC chips costing $1-2 would be shipped "free" from China, because the sellers simply absorbed the tiny fee into the price.

Last edited:
This all started over $1? You must already be retired to put this level of effort in...lol

You are right, I am retired. And you are also probably right to question my sanity.

But I look at it differently.

Today I got another phony tracking number. This is the third one. I also got another plea to un-cancel the order.

You see, I know that it's possible to get a tracking number without actually delivering the package to the carrier, then claim it's been shipped. Sellers on Amazon do this all the time. But Amazon backs up the customer if it's not actually shipped in time.

I am 90% sure this is a scammer, preying on "rich Americans" who don't know any better. They take the order, try to squeeze as much extra cash out of the mark as possible, then run out the clock with phony tracking numbers and "Dear Friend, I'm so sorry but..." messages.

If I've caused them some grief, I consider it a service to all other potential victims. I viewed this whole foray into AliExpress as a learning experience. If I never get a refund, I've already gotten far more value from the education I've received.

I should add that I'm not opposed to ordering things direct from overseas. I have had great experiences through other web sites, including one product I ordered through Amazon which came from China. I got a very nice e-mail back, thanking me for my order and saying I was their first US customer. And it has always amazed me how quickly things can cross an ocean and a continent to get to me.

I don't think you are getting "phony tracking numbers" that is just the way their cheap ass shipping works...I never get a tracking update until an item hits the U.S.

Also, even if the vendor doesn't give you a refund, aliexpress will. You just need to be in their Dispute window.

You are right, I am retired. And you are also probably right to question my sanity.

But I look at it differently.

Today I got another phony tracking number. This is the third one. I also got another plea to un-cancel the order.

You see, I know that it's possible to get a tracking number without actually delivering the package to the carrier, then claim it's been shipped. Sellers on Amazon do this all the time. But Amazon backs up the customer if it's not actually shipped in time.

I am 90% sure this is a scammer, preying on "rich Americans" who don't know any better. They take the order, try to squeeze as much extra cash out of the mark as possible, then run out the clock with phony tracking numbers and "Dear Friend, I'm so sorry but..." messages.

If I've caused them some grief, I consider it a service to all other potential victims. I viewed this whole foray into AliExpress as a learning experience. If I never get a refund, I've already gotten far more value from the education I've received.

I should add that I'm not opposed to ordering things direct from overseas. I have had great experiences through other web sites, including one product I ordered through Amazon which came from China. I got a very nice e-mail back, thanking me for my order and saying I was their first US customer. And it has always amazed me how quickly things can cross an ocean and a continent to get to me.

I had a product designed and built to my specifications, all negotiated through Alibaba, but never used, nor have I shopped on AliExpress.

Dumb question: It seems every cheap thing from China is on eBay. There's stuff only on AliExpress, not on eBay? I guess you, NWB, have need for components, maybe the more "industrial parts" are more prevalent on AE?

I order from China and Ali Express, all the time. As long as you know what you are buying, you are fine. Bearing in mind that most items are made there anyway. In addition we have never been charged Tax (Never understood that).

A Tip I have learnt is to ALWAYS use SpeedPak shipping, it is very fast and cheap considering.

What never ceases to amaze me is why Shipping is so Cheap from China. Often and item arrives shortly after the US purchased items, nothing worth writing home about.

I do not buy from Amazon as their prices are usually more than other sources and Bezos is rich enough. I cancelled my membership when they compromised my account and started sending me crap I did not order. With a little looking one can often find better deals elsewhere. Not as convenient, that's OK. And I buy almost everything that is not consumable on line. My neighbor has an Amazon Prime account, he is my Amazon Logistics Manager when I need one, I enlisted his services 4 times in 2020.

Last edited:
On AliExpress, I noticed options to "ship from" different countries. China, US, Spain, Russia, etc.

I selected "US" and paid a little more for that option.

Am I wrong to expect a US company's shipping number? The names of two of the three three I got were all written in what appears to me to be Chinese, and the numbers did not work with UPS, FedEx or USPS. So I assumed they were not shipping from the US.

Also, the fact that this seller keeps coming back with a different tracking number raises my suspicions. I really did want this to work out, but things just keep getting worse.

For the record, while all this was going on with Ali, I had a delivery caught up in some sort of problem that Amazon was having in Connecticut. Tracking never showed the package hitting the carrier facility. Amazon flagged it as "late" after 2 days. A few days later, still with no shipping status, they offered a refund. The item shipped that day and I received it the next. Say what you want about their prices or politics, but their customer service can't be beat. That's what I call red-blooded American capitalism!

Just to close out this thread, I got a response from AliExpress about my dispute today:

The dispute (order id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) has been closed today and we have made a mediation. You can log in to <http://trade.aliexpress.com/issue/issueDetail.htm?issueId=xxxxxxxxxxxx> to check the details.

After checking, the tracking information shows "shipment cancelled" or "no records" , which means that seller didn't shipped the goods within required time. In this case, your payment is expected to return to your credit card, please be patient to your bank statements. If you still want to get the goods, we warmly suggest you can contact seller and get a good solution.

In other words, they agreed that the seller was trying to scam me. We'll see if I ever get the refund. Like WalMart and so many others, they wait up to 20 days to process refunds (sales are processed immediately, of course.)

My results: two items ordered on 1/7. One item received 1/22 and the other 1/27. Both were exactly as ordered and were delivered well within the window of time quoted for delivery. I still don’t know if I would order something expensive this way, but can’t find fault in my trial order.

Back
Top Bottom