Best Buy to stop selling DVDS

We have plenty of discs that are not available streaming.

No merchant is going to use floor space and/or inventory $ for products with lesser volumes, it’s pretty simple. Most people, more every year, prefer streaming.

US video disc sales amounted to $3.29 billion in 2019, $2.45 billion in 2020 and $1.97 billion in 2021. The first quarter of 2022 saw this drop another 19 per cent. Plot these figures on a graph and you can see where this might be headed.
dvd-sales-in-movies-600x429.jpeg

Last edited:
What a horribly written headline! I thought this was about Blu-rays pushing out DVDs, but only one sentence mentions Blu-rays: "Best Buy will stop selling DVDsand Blu-ray discs at the end of the 2023 holiday season" (emphasis mine, obv).

I'm guessing that, in addition to the popularity of streaming and despite the small form factor, the variety of titles available makes them less profitable per square foot, and the shelf space is better devoted to electronics, which people often still want to see and handle. I'm sure discs (in both formats) will still be available via mail order for a while, since warehouse space is usually cheaper than retail. There should also be a huge and growing secondary market for used discs.

Last edited:
When I moved into my new house last month, I must have thrown out over a hundred DVD's my wife had collected over the years. Heck, I don't even have a DVD player anymore! :)

I still have a small Beta and VHS library but the ones I really wanted I've converted to DVD's for the most part. A pretty good sized DVD/BlueRay library too but I must admit, I can't recall the last time we bought a DVD/BlueRay. Maybe one or two this year. Streaming is working for us, most of the time.

Still remember the Beta/VHS wars and Blockbuster stores were everywhere. Saw NetFlix startup with renting DVD's and now that's gone. Their streaming service is only so-so IMO. Times are changing. Again.

Last edited:
All our disks, movie and music, and the equipment to play them left the house years ago. We are all digital and portable. I am sure technology will change again as well.

^^^^^
We still have ~3 VHS recorders/players and 1 BetaMax machine in storage (assume they still work :blush:) And we have several DVD/Blueray players "in service" today. We have some DVD's in our library that I've never seen available on any streaming service so we'll keep the technology and DVD's around until they get to the point "everything" is available on demand and in the cloud.

Last edited:
No merchant is going to use floor space and/or inventory $ for products with lesser volumes, it’s pretty simple. Most people, more every year, prefer streaming.

dvd-sales-in-movies-600x429.jpeg

That chart surprises me, from 1984 to 1994 I repaired VCRs. By the end of 83 into 84, VCRs prices got so low that rather than pay the price for me to repair, people would just buy a new one. I was looking for a new product to repair and DVD players were just getting a start and had higher prices. I thought seriously about transitioning to DVD repair, but instead we moved from Michigan to Florida. I'm glad we did because the cost to purchase a DVD player dropped much quicker than VCRs did.

^^^^^
We still have ~3 VHS players and 1 BetaMax machine in storage (assume they still work :blush:) And we have several DVD/Blueray players "in service" today. We have some DVD's in our library that I've never seen available on any streaming service so we'll keep the technology and DVD's around until they get to the point "everything" is available on demand and in the cloud.

Just curious what isn’t available digitally?

We recorded a lot of movies off TV years ago. Some were made for TV and others, I just don't know, but I've looked and never found many of them available on any streaming service or DVD. I guess I could compile a list and try to re-verify, but it's just not that important to me.

We still have 2 BluRay players and use them occasionally. But we don't buy DVD's. DW and I are currently rediscovering old classic movies, so once in a while I will borrow DVD from out local Library.

There are very few movies that I ever wanted to watch more than once. Renting always seemed to make the most sense. Now, streaming is a great option.

DW bought a bunch of the Disney movies on DVD/BlueRay. I haven’t seen one played in years and I’m sure she has some that have never been played. Disney marketed them as collectibles. LOL.

Best Buy is just doing the natural thing that happens as technology changes.

Old movies. At least on Amazon. If you search for "The King and I" (Yul Brynner) you get "not available in your region". And there are others I have looked for recently that are also missing.

I have very few DVDs but I will buy a few more this week.

Some things need to be rewatched!

I just thought I'd let people know in case anyone wanted any.

Last edited:
I still know a lot of people that have blu ray collections as well (and add to them).

Just curious what isn’t available digitally?

The problem might not be is it available anywhere, but is it available on YOUR streaming service...

It was a couple of months ago but I was in the flix room at the gym watching 30 minutes of a film... I had not seen it before and wanted to watch the whole thing... but it was not on Netflix... (which BTW I am thinking of dropping because of price increase and them not letting my son and daughter share my account)... I did not go looking for it on another service as I was not going to go looking to see where it was and sign up for another service..

My player plays more CDs than DVDs but we have both. And we stream.

Best of all worlds until machine dies. Hard to replace.

The problem might not be is it available anywhere, but is it available on YOUR streaming service...

Exactly. First off I don't want to subscribe to every service known to mankind. And secondly when I want to watch a movie I don't want to work at it. Supposed to be fun. . .

It was a couple of months ago but I was in the flix room at the gym watching 30 minutes of a film... I had not seen it before and wanted to watch the whole thing... but it was not on Netflix... (which BTW I am thinking of dropping because of price increase and them not letting my son and daughter share my account)... I did not go looking for it on another service as I was not going to go looking to see where it was and sign up for another service..

There are so many streaming services now that are free. I pay for the NFL plus so I can watch out of market games, but that’s it.

I still know a lot of people that have blu ray collections as well (and add to them).

Count me in. The surround soundtrack on 4K blu-ray has more dynamic range and oomph than a streaming soundtrack. Also, the video picture quality is better as it's not compressed. And you can get them in Dolbyvision.

I'm not a collector, in fact, I'm kind of picky when it comes to titles I will buy. Typically, I will only buy blu-rays that are visually spectacular which look great on my 77" OLED TV. For example, I've got Dune 2021, Ready Player One, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Apollo 13, all the Mission Impossible movies, Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom. I buy these online only when they are on sale, rarely paying more than $9.99 for them.

I've never purchased a disc at Best Buy, so I won't miss them not selling them anymore.

Not many people are aware of this but nowadays when you buy a physical blu-ray disc you also get a digital copy which you store in your online library. Basically, if you are too lazy to stick the disc in your blu-ray player you can access it in the cloud and stream it to your TV.

I'm a big fan of classic foreign movies. The stuff that Criterion puts out. When people come over I show them my collection which fills a few shelfs of a bookcase. Call me a snob but that just wouldn't work if everything is streamed.

Sad to see but inevitable. I was an early adopter and remember buying some of the first movies that were released in the US (Road Warrior, GoodFellas etc) in 1997. I do have a fairly extensive collection but these days, I only buy a handful a year for which I want the best quality available and for insurance in case streaming isn't an option (rights issues, bad signal, whatever).

I'm a big fan of classic foreign movies. The stuff that Criterion puts out. When people come over I show them my collection which fills a few shelfs of a bookcase. Call me a snob but that just wouldn't work if everything is streamed.

But you would not find those in Best Buy anyhow... they had the top sellers or recent releases...

I like DVDs, partly because of the bonus features, such as deleted scenes, director commentaries, and so on. Or with TV shows if it's older ones, they're often the original, uncut ones where a half hour was actually around 24-26 minutes of program, and an hour was 48-52 or so. Nowadays what you see on tv has usually has a good deal of its original content jettisoned for more commercials, not to mention the overlap of closing/opening credits to squeeze in even more commercial time.

Still, I can't remember the last time I bought a DVD myself. For Christmas 2018, my housemate's Mom got me "Saturn 3," the 1980 sci-fi movie somewhat famous because of its nudity. It had Farrah Fawcett in it, but it was Kirk Douglas you saw naked! :LOL:

It's not exactly "Masterpiece Theatre", but it's one of those bad movies I always liked. She wanted a gift idea for me for Christmas, and I mentioned it, and lo and behold, she found it! I don't think I've watched it, since around Christmas of 2018, though!

The other week we lost power for a few hours one Sunday morning. When the power came back, the FIOS didn't, so we were without internet, phone, and tv. So, we fired up the DVD player and watched some "Mama's Family" DVDs. Awhile back, Star Vista Media, or whatever they're called, released the whole series as a set, which included the old NBC episodes restored to where they had the original openings and closings (different house for the exterior shots, Harvey Korman doing those Alistair Quince introductions, and ending with them saying "Mama's Family was filmed in front of a live audience" and then having Vicki Lawrence or someone else say something smart-assed in response to it)

So, DVDs do still come in handy from time to time!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom