Best Buy to stop selling DVDS

A lot of good entertainment is not available on streaming, only on DVDs.

Some bright individual should come up with a last to mail rented DVDs to people. They could charge a flat monthly fee say $15 and mail each customer 3 or 4 DVD’s each month. With a large enough customer base, they could include many lesser known movies, foreign movies, and movies from independent producers who can’t afford a big marketing budget.

For Christmas 2018, my housemate's Mom got me "Saturn 3," the 1980 sci-fi movie somewhat famous because of its nudity. It had Farrah Fawcett in it, but it was Kirk Douglas you saw naked! :LOL:

It's not exactly "Masterpiece Theatre", but it's one of those bad movies I always liked.

Funny story. When I was a teen I had a terrific crush on Farrah Fawcett. My girlfriend was well aware of this. She teased me, "I suppose you want to go see "Saturn 3". We went and yeah, I was kind of disappointed because I only got to see a little side-boob glance at Farrah but Kirk Douglas mooned the whole audience!

I still have a Farrah Fawcett poster somewhere in my junk pile. Note--not the classic one where she's wearing the red one-piece, but the one from the cover of Playboy where she's wearing a white shirt, tantalizingly unbuttoned, while holding a martini.

The good old days was going to a store like Best Buy or Circuit City and they'd have the store filled with CDs and computer programs and games on discs.

Just curious what isn’t available digitally?
A few years ago, MGM was one of the biggest holdouts. But I've learned that the studios that make the movies and originally owned the rights often license or sell the streaming rights to other business units (not subsidiaries), so the handling of streaming rights and where they're licensed can be very weird and erratic.

I don't buy DVDs/Blue Rays as I always thought why watch a movie more than once ?

Now that I'm old, I've re-watched some movies, as I couldn't remember the details or even how it ends. We've joked this must be the advantage of Alzheimer's, but I'm starting to be afraid it's true :eek:

I'll rent disks from redbox (I get discounts, so only cost $1) and free borrow from the library, this supplements our streaming which is GREAT and supplies 95% of our tv watching.

I bought our first DVD before we actually owned a DVD player. It was a newly restored release of Snow White with a bunch of bonus features.

Now, it’s been years since we watched a DVD. 99% of our tv viewing is streaming. They have an endless supply of content, both new and old. My daughter watches one show on blu ray that is t available anywhere else. She also watches original Scooby Doo on DVD.

We still have a small collection of DVDs that we picked up at second hand stores over the years. Looking forward to watching our collection of holiday movies, plus the extras on some of the discs, for example the story behind "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Here is another problem...

I am watching 'My Cousin Vinny" on cable (recorded) and they blank out all swear words... messes it up a bit...

I have seen some, again on cable, where they blur out the nude scenes for some reason... heck, it is on cable...

Lastly, on Netflix I do not know how to slow mo... I can on DVDs..

We have spotty internet at the cabin so we've taken most of our CD's and DVDs there so use on cool or rainy days.

And we've started buying used DVDs because prices are super cheap. We'll watch them once and then give most of them away.

The good old days was going to a store like Best Buy or Circuit City and they'd have the store filled with CDs and computer programs and games on discs.

Absolutely! I always loved walking into one of those stores and browsing through their collection of discs. Even better was the video rental store I used to frequent back in the early 90s. They had a huge collection of (wait for it)... Laserdiscs! Man, I was so enthralled with that store and always looked forward to making a special trip over there to browse through those album-sized discs.

As for Best Buy no longer selling DVDs and Blu-rays... yawn. I'm honestly surprised they didn't drop this sooner. Amazon and eBay have absolutely anything and everything a disc collector might want, so, IMHO, Best Buy couldn't have been adding much value to that marketplace.

Last edited:
We have spotty internet at the cabin so we've taken most of our CD's and DVDs there so use on cool or rainy days.

FYI, many streaming services these days support downloading shows and movies for offline viewing. Depending on what (and how much) you want to watch, this could be about as easy as dealing with a bunch of physical disks. Also could be a good way to watch your personal favorites on airplanes, etc.

I am watching 'My Cousin Vinny" on cable (recorded) and they blank out all swear words... messes it up a bit...

I have seen some, again on cable, where they blur out the nude scenes for some reason... heck, it is on cable....

Depends on the channel. Some are family friendly. Some are not.

As for Best Buy no longer selling DVDs and Blu-rays... yawn.

I didn't even know. I would probably have guess that they hadn't sold DVDs for a while. Blu-rays, I might have guessed they were selling. Anyway, not a surprise at all.... just like the video rental stores that went out of business as most people resort to streaming for most content.

Depends on the channel. Some are family friendly. Some are not.

I know I've posted this before, but some really go overboard with the family friendliness, even in closed captioning...

Attachments

• Tillie_I_Love_Lucy_Cocker.PNG
    Tillie_I_Love_Lucy_Cocker.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
The streaming option seems convenient, until you realize you are at the whim of the content providers. Want to binge-watch a certain TV show starting at season 1 and only season 6 is available on-demand? That happens a lot. Cold Justice is one such example for DW, and even then, only the latter part of season 6 has been available on-demand.

Just before HBO Max became Max, DW wanted to binge watch The Closer starting with season 1, which had all seasons available on HBO Max right before the switch. Less than a week later, we were on Max, but The Closer wasn't part of Max or any other streaming service for on-demand.

Most of our dvd library is not streaming anywhere, a little bit more is not streaming on a service we pay for.

*excluding ad supported streaming services that play it sometime, but not available on-demand or in sequence.

If I want to watch something we have on DVD/Biu-Ray- especially a series - not really practical.

The streaming option seems convenient, until you realize you are at the whim of the content providers. Want to binge-watch a certain TV show starting at season 1 and only season 6 is available on-demand? That happens a lot. Cold Justice is one such example for DW, and even then, only the latter part of season 6 has been available on-demand.

Just before HBO Max became Max, DW wanted to binge watch The Closer starting with season 1, which had all seasons available on HBO Max right before the switch. Less than a week later, we were on Max, but The Closer wasn't part of Max or any other streaming service for on-demand.
Not if you purchase from a streaming provider, you're only talking about subscription services. We have....683 movies on Vudu. They're owned by Fandango, "a joint-venture between NBCUniversal and Warner Bros. Discovery", so I'm not worried about them going anywhere. There was one movie that I think had licensing issues, and they refunded everyone who owned it.

I used my inexpensive single disc DVD player until Netflix discontinued mail service so now we are only streaming. In the meantime I will still use the library or flea markets if I find anything I am interested in and is cheap until the player breaks down.

Cheers!

I have seen some, again on cable, where they blur out the nude scenes for some reason... heck, it is on cable...

Lastly, on Netflix I do not know how to slow mo... I can on DVDs..

AND... crappy cable channel cut off the last of the movie on time...

IOW, the listed time did NOT cover the whole movie... I did not think I lost that much but who cannot list times correctly:confused:

This is a peeve of mine also... cutting of the end of shows... it is a big trend now where the last minute or two goes into the next show so you miss it.. unless you specifically say to record extra time.. not a streaming problem but a cable problem...

I like my CDs. And I borrow many from our library.

I had a scare yesterday. Thought one of my blu rays had crapped out. False alarm.

Fortunately I drive old cars. My 2006 and 2007 both load 5 cd's. Perfect!

I haven’t watched a DVD in ages. If I want to own something, then I can buy it from Apple/Amazon and stream it. But usually I BTD and rent it if it’s not available on a subscription streaming service.

Unfortunately not all movies are available to rent to stream, but there’s so much content available nowadays it’s not an issue for me to find something to watch.

Most foreign movies, most older movies. The streaming companies like Netflix have to pay fees to be able to stream the movies, and the shows and movies come and go with budgets and popularity.

Back
Top Bottom