Best Buy to stop selling DVDS

Isn't Northern Exposure another show that had music rights issues? I seem to remember it had contemporary songs as part of the soundtrack. Maybe that's why it's not available for streaming?

That’s an interesting thought. I know the rights cost shows a pretty penny, so streaming would be expensive. A friend of mine owns some radio stations. He explained to me the model for paying for songs. So even though they buy the song file, they pay for every time it plays. Different rates for internet vs over the air, but still pay every time.

I just bought 80 used DVD movies on Marketplace for $80. We've already seen about 25 of them which will be passed along to family and friends. The rest will be taken to the cabin for cold and rainy days.

Once we've watched a movie we usually give it away, however, we will keep most of the concert DVDs if it's a band that one of us likes.

Last week I bought all 8 seasons of Dexter for $30. I've never seen the show, my wife has only seen a few episodes.

I visited a church yard sale yesterday, there were 5 DVD players for sale.
Just saying, they might become as popular as VCRs.

Sounds like it might be time for me to pick up a couple of DVD players - just in case.

I admit it - - I haven't read the whole thread. :blush:

But anyway, one big issue with all of this is that Best Buy, Walmart, and other major stores have all simultaneously decided not to sell physical copies of video games starting in 2024. For example, no more physical copies of Nintendo, Playstation, or Xbox video games will be available in these stores. No more games for sale on any type of physical medium. I play Nintendo games and this is a subject of hot discussion on Nintendo sites.

Apparently the only way to get (and/or play?) future Nintendo games will be online from Nintendo, perhaps using the Nintendo Online accounts that some gamers are already paying for every month for multiplayer gaming. This sounds to me like it would essentially make the monthly Nintendo Online payments mandatory. Some people are not enthused with the idea of enforced future monthly payments of who knows how much, in order to continue playing a game they already bought.

There are concerns among gamers about this for several reasons which all boil down trust (or lack of same) in these video game companies. And some, like me, have always bought physical copies of games so that I can play them even if/when the internet is down (such as after a major hurricane, if I still have power or using battery power).

There are numerous youtubes and columns about this lately, like this one.

This thread reminds me of an annoyance I had forgotten. Local libraries have gotten rid of tons of older books (even things I consider fairly classic though YMMV) and so you can't just check out an old favorite anymore. . . I wish I had not gotten rid of so many physical books as I did cause they are not easy to find now if I want to read again.

This thread reminds me of an annoyance I had forgotten. Local libraries have gotten rid of tons of older books (even things I consider fairly classic though YMMV) and so you can't just check out an old favorite anymore. . . I wish I had not gotten rid of so many physical books as I did cause they are not easy to find now if I want to read again.

A few months ago I bought about 300 pounds of books at an estate auction for $41. When I picked them up (5 large boxes) they told me that they basically sell them by the pound.

A few months ago I bought about 300 pounds of books at an estate auction for $41. When I picked them up (5 large boxes) they told me that they basically sell them by the pound.

A relative runs a used bookstore and sells them by the foot of shelf space. Different prices for paperback, hardcover, and better-looking (leatherbound) books. He used to do a lot of business with department stores who wanted to create display areas for their furniture.

A relative runs a used bookstore and sells them by the foot of shelf space. Different prices for paperback, hardcover, and better-looking (leatherbound) books. He used to do a lot of business with department stores who wanted to create display areas for their furniture.

DW is an avid reader and she was a "member" at a couple of used book stores where we used to live (and visit each summer.) Both went out of business. I guess too many folks are dumping their books for e-books or whatever. DW was very disappointed, but the owners said they simply couldn't make it anymore. I hate the thought of no more physical books some day. YMMV

There are numerous youtubes and columns about this lately, like this one.

Ah, yes. A virtual picket line. I hope it helps. As the video points out - there are differences between physical media and streaming AND the companies are exerting more control over people and trying to make even more money.

I suppose if enough people put their foot (feet) down and say "NO!" the companies just might just change their minds. Unfortunately, the addiction is already established and the companies can hold out longer than the "addicted" in most cases.

Take a stand and don't stream!!:cool:

Reactions: W2R

I enjoy reading with a physical book. Most of the books I got through a used book source, Abe books. Books come from stores all over the country with various prices and conditions. I usually pay less than $4 including shipping for a book in very good to like new condition. This may be a good source for you to find the books you are looking for.

Cheers!

I enjoy reading with a physical book. Most of the books I got through a used book source, Abe books. Books come from stores all over the country with various prices and conditions. I usually pay less than $4 including shipping for a book in very good to like new condition. This may be a good source for you to find the books you are looking for.

Cheers!

There are also Biblio and Alibris as online book sources for used and rare books.

Back
Top Bottom