Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

I just opened an account at Navy CC today via a 10 minute phone call, no papers required. My dad was in the Air Force. They asked if he was either honorably discharged or retired from the military and I truthfully said yes. That was all they needed.

My Dad served during WWII. Is it really that simple? They take your word? The website says they "may" ask for a variety of verification, none of which I have. My dad has been gone 18 years, and my mom 17, so no access to "real time" data.

I might give them a call tomorrow. For 3.5% it could be worth a little hassle.

My Dad served during WWII. Is it really that simple? They take your word? The website says they "may" ask for a variety of verification, none of which I have. My dad has been gone 18 years, and my mom 17, so no access to "real time" data.

I might give them a call tomorrow. For 3.5% it could be worth a little hassle.

Yep. Just the one question and my one word answer. The account was opened with a $5 deposit to savings over the phone with my debit card. I can login in and see the account already. Going to open and fund the CD soon.

It was easy. I told them my Dad was a veteran. They didn't ask to confirm at all.

See https://www.marcus.com/us/en/savings/cashbonus for details. Ends at midnight tonight (7/29/19)

Gal and I are both in - first one we were joint, then learned both joint members can take advantage of the bonus - so we did. Scraped money out of our Discover and Ally accounts for the first one, then used our EBSB for the second. An effective 6% or so for 3 months beats 2.3% or so.

7(ish) yrs ago?, someone on this forum talked about "negotiating" cd rates with banks so I tried it. It worked for my last 3 larger cds over about 7yrs. It's done! I can't get any of the banks to bite now. They must have all the $ they need.

7(ish) yrs ago?, someone on this forum talked about "negotiating" cd rates with banks so I tried it. It worked for my last 3 larger cds over about 7yrs. It's done! I can't get any of the banks to bite now. They must have all the $ they need.

When you were able to do it, how much above what they were originally offering were you able to get them to go?

I was about to get .5% higher than I could personally anywhere else. I wonder now if it was just a one time thing for them to try to get me there, thinking I would stay after the cd matured. One thing I did notice was the banks, credit unions were 3+ rated then. Now they are 5 :confused:?

About 5 years ago it was quite common to get an uptick, up to .5%. Now not so, I did try this CD Cycle, but ended up getting an average of 3.52% across 4 Jumbo CDs.

I just joined. Very impressed by the person on the phone. Looking forward to sending in some money!

I just joined. Very impressed by the person on the phone. Looking forward to sending in some money!

We just joined a few weeks ago, online, but also have a local branch a couple of miles away. Very impressive staff there, too. I’m really happy with this move.

Didn't know it would be that easy... I may call them on Friday.

Actually I was more ambitious than expected and called them today. Got an account set up and did the IRA Application and IRA Transfer documents and secure emailed them to them.

The woman who opend my account said that they "may" be back in touch with me for documentation regarding my Dad's service in the military.... I told her that while I can recall seeing his discharge papers that I wasn't sure where they were or if I could find them and she indicated that it would be possible to request them if I needed too.

Overall, good service.

Actually I was more ambitious than expected and called them today. Got an account set up and did the IRA Application and IRA Transfer documents and secure emailed them to them.

The woman who opend my account said that they "may" be back in touch with me for documentation regarding my Dad's service in the military.... I told her that while I can recall seeing his discharge papers that I wasn't sure where they were or if I could find them and she indicated that it would be possible to request them if I needed too.

Overall, good service.

It may be possible. I could not find my father's information in the on-line database so I requested the discharge papers. It turns out there was a big fire in 1973 and many of the enlistment records were destroyed. I did tell her approximately when he was drafted and discharged and where he served. We will see. My membership is held up by some identification issue, so I faxed them the DL and a utility bill. The e-mail said to expect five to ten business days overall.

It may be possible. I could not find my father's information in the on-line database so I requested the discharge papers.

It may work out for you. There's a military acronym FUBAR. You can look it up. It applies to military records. A military discharge record is a DD-214. I have one from 1976. However, almost all of the details are wrong including where I served. At last check, this record no longer exists with the military.

One of the things they got right on my copy (or maybe wrong), was that I was an expert marksman. When I was an 18-year old bureaucrat at division headquarters, I was suppose to re-qualify with an M-16 rifle. But, I was the only way they could get the needed division communications information distributed on time. So, it was "taken care of". I did better with an M-16 in a test I never took than I had in basic training.

Fast forward 25 years, I was working for a mega-corp. I was the only way they could get out a software release on time. I got a jury summons. The company tried to squash this. They failed. Presumably, the corruption is less. The jury selection narrowed it down to to the point that they kicked off two people; a woman that was obviously crazy and me. That may say something about me. The software release happened.

Last edited:
It may work out for you. There's a military acronym FUBAR. You can look it up. It applies to military records. A military discharge record is a DD-214. I have one from 1976. However, almost all of the details are wrong including where I served. At last check, this record no longer exists with the military.

One of the things they got right on my copy (or maybe wrong), was that I was an expert marksman. When I was an 18-year old bureaucrat at division headquarters, I was suppose to re-qualify with an M-16 rifle. But, I was the only way they could get the needed division communications information distributed on time. So, it was "taken care of". I did better with an M-16 in a test I never took than I had in basic training.

Fast forward 25 years, I was working for a mega-corp. I was the only way they could get out a software release on time. I got a jury summons. The company tried to squash this. They failed. Presumably, the corruption is less. The jury selection narrowed it down to to the point that they kicked off two people; a woman that was obviously crazy and me. That may say something about me. The software release happened.

We joined Navy earlier this year and have been impressed with their service. They offer some great rates too. DH is a veteran, but I honestly do not recall having to provide his DD-214.

We joined Navy earlier this year and have been impressed with their service. They offer some great rates too. DH is a veteran, but I honestly do not recall having to provide his DD-214.

I'm wondering if they have just gotten very liberal with their new membership policy. Darn near everyone I know banks with Navy Federal and I know some of those people have no ties to the military at all. Remember, once you are a member you can get memberships for any and all of your family members. :)

Mike

I'm a 50+ year member of NFCU and think it's great! Another excellent CU I used to belong to is #66 on the list, Tower FCU. It started as a CU serving employees of NSA at Ft. Meade, MD. Over the years its field of membership expanded and the last I knew you only had to live or be employed in Howard Cty., MD (and, perhaps - I'm not sure of this - other counties in the Ft. Meade area.) I used to use a brick and mortar branch in Columbia, MD and the service was excellent. No idea of their current CD rates.

Also noticed PenFed is #3 - if they'd bring back some of those good deals on CDs maybe we could get them to #2!

Today I opened my first ever CD, Navy Fed 18 month 3%. Included free frosted cookies and water here at our local branch.

Got an e-mail from Ally this morning. The rate on savings is dropping to 1.9 percent. Sure wish the folks at NFCU could finish reviewing my credentials and open the account!

Got an e-mail from Ally this morning. The rate on savings is dropping to 1.9 percent. Sure wish the folks at NFCU could finish reviewing my credentials and open the account!

Got the same email. I've all but emptied my accounts at Ally as their rates have dropped, and the money's gone elsewhere..

Ally USED to be good and still have strong customer service (overall) but their rates are no longer anywhere near competitive. Hopefully they start to recognize the big outflow of business and get back to competitive rates..(for example, even Marcus is still a full quarter point higher on their online savings..I'm not a big fan of Marcus - especially the website - but rates are rates..)

Sheese. I didn’t get the email till 2:22 this afternoon. I guess I’m not on the A-list.

Back
Top Bottom