Can't you stay and finish X, Y, or Z?

Screw'em. MegaCorp retired me and everyone over 55 years old in 2008 when they overreacted to the economic downturn. ,They gave one day's notice.

And it cost'em dearly in vacation days purchased, pay supplements until age 62 and their share of unemployment for 50 weeks. And retiree healthcare and increasing the defined pension program are major expenses 8 years later.

That's why you do it, to live large in your last days. Travel first class, get rubbed at fancy hotels, drink great booze and eat lobster and caviar.

If they want you to play, make 'em pay!

I "retired" in 2014, I was not replaced. Recruiting efforts half hearted. I just found out they hired 3 people to do the job I was doing
After not getting raises for 2 years because I was "topped out" (which is BS)
I retired. I found our later they had to hire 3 people to replace me. Oh well...:LOL:

Life's short. You won't be able to extend death to complete x,y. and z you had planned to do in retirement. You'll never get back any of the extra days you work.

Ding ding ding.......

There is no comeback to that statement.

My thought is what do YOU want....

If you still want to dip your toe into work, do it part time... one of my sisters did... she used to say 24 in 7.... instead of doing work 24/7 she only did 24 hours of work in 7 days... however she felt like splitting it up (within reason)...

I would also say a hefty increase in salary... lastly, be paid by the hour... when I did some temp work I found out that companies do not try and keep you working long hours when they have to pay for every one... with a salary they will and do...

Thanks for all the responses. I am actually quite sure I am ready to RE. Like GalaxyBoy, my plan is to give notice as soon as I get a large bonus coming to me. Once that comes in, we don't need any more $$ so working longer even at more pay doesn't make sense for me. I have no doubt I can and will be replaced but also know it will realistically take longer than my notice period. I don't work for a megacorp so there aren't any counterparts elsewhere in the company that can step in. I've been with the company for 10 years and just want to leave on a positive note rather than leaving people feeling like I don't care about them. However the "Sorry, I promised my wife" and "I can't get extra days back" thoughts are hard for anyone to argue with. Thanks! 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Did anyone get pressure when you resigned to stay longer and finish key projects? If so, how did you handle it? When leaving for another j*b, it's easy to understand why one would not stay too long, but when ER is the reason, it's a bit harder to justify if asked to stay longer. Bottom line, I just don't want to. I may not get any pushback as I am giving 30 days' notice which is per my contract, but want to be prepared just in case. It will almost certainly take over 90 days to replace my role. I'm preparing a coverage plan with options for resources to cover my key responsibilities until my permanent replacement is appointed, which I will provide upon resignation. I don't want to fabricate a story about sick family members but am struggling with what a professional but firm response could be that won't burn any bridges if I'm asked to delay my departure.

I applaud your responsibility to the firm your leaving but giving 30 days is plenty of notice. I've had several jobs and positions over my career, I'm winding down as a consultant now, and pretty much have little to no contact with former colleges. Other than occasional interaction on LinkedIN, with a few folks, no one misses me or I them. The wo*k world will do fine without you.. and shortly me.:LOL:

Thanks for all the responses. I am actually quite sure I am ready to RE. Like GalaxyBoy, my plan is to give notice as soon as I get a large bonus coming to me. Once that comes in, we don't need any more $$ so working longer even at more pay doesn't make sense for me. I have no doubt I can and will be replaced but also know it will realistically take longer than my notice period. I don't work for a megacorp so there aren't any counterparts elsewhere in the company that can step in. I've been with the company for 10 years and just want to leave on a positive note rather than leaving people feeling like I don't care about them. However the "Sorry, I promised my wife" and "I can't get extra days back" thoughts are hard for anyone to argue with. Thanks! 😀

This wasn't a joke ??

Please Scuba stay we will miss you at work, toiling away into the wee hours without you will cause our eyes to swell with tears dripping onto the papers below.

With you gone, two of us will have to work an extra 10 hours each to make up for your absence, and a 3rd person will have to take all the Owners verbal abuse and demands that you will no longer be hearing. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

... I may not get any pushback as I am giving 30 days' notice which is per my contract, but want to be prepared just in case. It will almost certainly take over 90 days to replace my role. ...

Sounds like management's problem, not yours.

As others have said, if the contract says 30, and they need 90, they should have a succession plan, or have offered to renegotiate your contract a while back. If they didn't do that, it is on them, not you.

... but when ER is the reason, it's a bit harder to justify if asked to stay longer. Bottom line, I just don't want to.

Why do you have to 'justify' anything beyond fulfilling your contractual obligation? It's not like you are using some arbitrary loop-hole. They asked for 30, you gave them 30. You did everything right.

Get on with your life. I predict that 24 hours after leaving, this will be the last thing on your mind. Your future is all that will matter to you and your family.

-ERD50

I gave three months notice in late March. I was told it would take 4-6 months to find a suitable replacement in the current market and asked if I would stay until they could find a replacement on an hourly PT basis. I agreed to half time part time (allows single health insurance coverage) all working at home except a few half days each month in the office (mostly to print stuff pickup and drop off stuff) til they got a replacement, or until end of year. It's now been 5 months since giving notice and no qualified candidates worthy of a face to face interview. I am copied on some of the more promising resumes and I'm thinking the end of the year is going to be my limit.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Interesting. My 30 days notice sounds adequate based on this feedback. Thanks

You can also consider offering limited time consulting at a high rate (x2 your total cost of employment can be reasonable). Only hours actually spent, and you'll try to minimize it as much as you can. Just to help them out.

No bridges blown, just the toll to cross it increased.

I'd be surprised they'd take you up on the offer. Normally, suddenly, you aren't that valuable to them after all ..

And if they do, its an elegant offer: you are flexible and available, they have an incentive to find another solution.

To be sure: I'd only put the offer on the table if they ask you to stay longer than legally required.

Good point, Totoro, thanks. I suspect you're right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom