Delicious, Healthy Foods

Cioppino, loaded with every seafood you can find, with plenty of garlic, and basil. You have to use some sliced fennel to cook with, but the dish has to be finished with some red bell pepper flakes to accent everything. It's not a chili dish so be easy on the flakes, but it needs a touch. I use orange roughy as my fish of choice. Sop up the sauce with sourdough slices, and wash down with a Sangiovese.

My guess is no they don’t, they pay others to make it for them.
+1/ there was a NBA player in Florida that has his own personal chef making him healthy meals at home. Besides that the player drank like a fish but managed to be an above average player for the team.

The problem is that what is healthy yet tastes so good that you can gobble a huge amount of depends a lot on personal taste. I can tell you what works for me: plain old salad.

You reminded me: when my sister and I were young kids, we would come home after school and split a medium-sized head of iceberg lettuce with nothing on it. Thought it was the greatest treat. I guess that might have been kind of healthy and it did fill us up.

You reminded me: when my sister and I were young kids, we would come home after school and split a medium-sized head of iceberg lettuce with nothing on it. Thought it was the greatest treat. I guess that might have been kind of healthy and it did fill us up.
Simple food like that in more simpler times. Nowadays we have some fast food places open 24/7 or very late into the night. Burger King selling burgers and fries at 7am? One of our biggest crises is obesity across the nation.

But, what I was originally looking for was something that is delicious (yet healthy) and that I want to eat a until my eyes roll back in my head and my face falls into my plate (or disappears into a large tub of high calorie ice cream). I'm asking: is there a heathy food that is so delicious that people will continue eat until they become nauseous?

It would seem to me when you enter the gluttonous stage health is out the window, even too much water can kill you.

As far as I am concerned, the Universe requires equilibrium So, in answer toi this thread's question. a steamed Dungeness vcab is heaven to me (I think that's healthy). And then, I make sure to have a generous cup of chocolate ice cream for dessert.

Does anyone actually know what is healthy and what isn't (in moderation)?

A few years ago, we would have been told to use margarine and avoid eggs, but now we recognize that trans-fat in margarine is far worse than saturated fat in butter, and eggs aren't the cholesterol issue they were thought to be.

I'm not convinced we know much more today. I'll just stick with eating a variety of foods.

-ERD50

+1

I tend to keep my mouth shut when the subject of healthy foods come up. It can mean wildly different things to different people based on what style of eating they are convinced is better.

As to a healthy treat, my favorite is in season fruits. About halfway through the summer local plums and peaches are so good up around the lake (Lake Erie Island area). Earlier in the year local strawberries (so much better than trucked in California strawberries) and later in the year fresh picked Apples. So good.

Sounds like cauliflower is both healthy and good-tasting. But, what I was originally looking for was something that is delicious (yet healthy) and that I want to eat a until my eyes roll back in my head and my face falls into my plate (or disappears into a large tub of high calorie ice cream). I'm asking: is there a heathy food that is so delicious that people will continue eat until they become nauseous?

Sure, take one part dry vermouth to 7 parts vodka. Totally healthy and you can happily drink it until you pass out.

Ha

It is true that the alcohol (ethanol) in spirits is not a carbohydrate, yet packs a lot of calories. It's 7 calories per gram, vs. 9 calories/g for fat, and 4 calories/g for carb.

No wonder we feel warm all over when we drink. I am going to pour myself one right now to ward off the chill.

PS. Vermouth has some sugar, i.e. carb. Hence, one should not use too much of it, and more of vodka or gin.

Sure, take one part dry vermouth to 7 parts vodka. Totally healthy and you can happily drink it until you pass out.

Ha
Now I want one. That's almost a pleasant reminder of w*rk. Now I don't need to numb the pain, probably more enjoyable.

I love fresh berries - strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are my favorites. I can eat a lot of them. And I’m pretty sure I could eat more than my share of lobster tail, king crab legs, sashimi, shrimp and most fish.

I find most fruits and vegetables delicious (especially if they have never been refrigerated).

I find most fruits and vegetables delicious (especially if they have never been refrigerated).
It’s getting more difficult to find “never refrigerated” fruit at the grocer. Much of the fruit is still cool from chilling when it’s sold, and that shows at home. Shelf life is much reduced, it goes bad quickly, and after a few hours at room temperature, bruises from handling begin to appear that are hidden by the chilling.

Rich broth made from simmering bones. Add brown rice, any/every vegetable I can think of. We get bones from butcher.

I agree with variety and colorful vegetables and fruits. I need to learn how to use spices properly. I want to replace flavor without salt.
Keep in mind, many vegetables have to be cooked to release benefits such as vitamins and antioxidants. Broccoli, cauliflower, kale and tomatoes to name a few.
Also, frozen vegetables lock in nutrients. They are as healthy if not more healthy than fresh (unless you get them garden to table). The longer fresh sits out, rides in a truck the less valuable they are.
DH a food scientist.

Fortunately, there's always a can of SPAM in the cupboard. :D
Haha. For some reason DH loves SPAM. I gag just thinking about it.

Food scientist=knowledge-common sense

Primary care physician=overweight smoker + alcoholic

Last time I was in Honolulu the breakfast special at McDonald's was spam white rice fried egg and miso soup. People in Hawaii love eating Spam and so do I. When I was a starving college student I would eat it right from the can.

I'm not sure if this qualifies due to the amount of added sugar, but I occasionally make a peanut butter chocolate chip cookie that is pretty good. I cut the added sugar amount by 40%, and use 1/2 semi-sweet chips and 1/2 unsweetened chips. Flour is 40% whole grain, 60% unbleached white.

Maybe I should call them healthier rather than healthy.

Make that even healthier....

In baking, substitute:

> Almond Flour - 1/2 to 1- for Flour

> Unsweetened Applesauce - 1 to 1 for Sugar

> E.V. Olive Oil -1 to 1 for Butter

> 85-90% Cacao Dark Chocolate chips (or make your own from bars)

Do your own research on each ingredient vs the original and it will amaze you. The body processes all of the above substitutes in a much healthier manner than the originals.

I make a Killer Almond/Walnut/Raisin/Banana/Applesauce Bread - About 110 cal./ 1/2 inch slice and no processed sugars ( about 5 gr. natural fruit sugars from Raisins and Applesauce, which are much less impactful than refined white sugars.)

Of course, self-discipline is required to avoid eating the whole loaf.

:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom