Delicious, Healthy Foods

From the health perspective, the most probable example I can think of would be an abundance of well prepared wild game of some sort.
Faced with such a windfall, our less civilized ancestors would naturally go for tilt.
Logic says this should be reasonably self limiting as our physiology must be adapted for such an assault. A close modern approximation should suffice.

Last edited:
From the health perspective, the most probable example I can think of would be an abundance of well prepared wild game of some sort.
Faced with such a windfall, our less civilized ancestors would naturally for for tilt.
Logic says this should be reasonably self limiting as our physiology must be adapted for such an assault. A close modern approximation should suffice.
Game is great no human garbage. We raised a bunch of chickens one year, they were like chickens in the 1960s. Veins in their legs, smaller and full of flavor.

And for the occasional artery clogging out of this world experience one must visit a state fair where it is pretty much deep fried goodness!

Last edited:
I've been reading all the favorite foods mentioned here. Frankly, few excite me.

But being a Son of the South, our diet is often less healthful and more carb laden. We are changing, however. We mostly cook out meats on a gas grill--12 months of the year. And we're now doing a lot of stir fries, steaming vegetables, etc.

But our perfect comfort meal is really either fried chicken or pot roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, fried corn, cole slaw or fresh tomatoes and a cast iron skillet of cornbread (no sugar thank you.) It's just too bad we cannot eat this meal often.

Is there a healthy substitute for peanut butter? (I usually have it when I'm eating a banana or an apple).

I LOVE roasted vegetables! Chop into large pieces, toss with quality olive oil / minced garlic / 400° until it looks done :)
Me too! What veggies do you roast? I mainly roast cauliflower and broccoli, sometimes with celery, asparagus, and/or paper-thin carrot slices.

Last edited:
DW prepares roasted root vegetables. Carrots, turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, onions. EVOO and seasoning. Delicious all year ‘round but especially good when it’s chilly outside.

Me too! What veggies do you roast? I mainly roast cauliflower and broccoli, sometimes with celery, and asparagus and paper-thin carrot slices.
I love it all! Try to have 5 colors (cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, peppers, crimean mushrooms, Japanese eggplant for purple) but mushrooms & eggplant are hardest. Must be done on a separate pan bc they throw off a lot of water

I make a Killer Almond/Walnut/Raisin/Banana/Applesauce Bread - About 110 cal./ 1/2 inch slice and no processed sugars ( about 5 gr. natural fruit sugars from Raisins and Applesauce, which are much less impactful than refined white sugars.)

Of course, self-discipline is required to avoid eating the whole loaf.

:)

Sounds yummy! Recipe, please?

Is there a healthy substitute for peanut butter? (I usually have it when I'm eating a banana or an apple).
Peanut butter is healthy! Just get one that's made with nothing but peanuts and salt. Avoid brands with added oils, sugar, etc.

I love it all! Try to have 5 colors (cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, carrots, peppers, crimean mushrooms, Japanese eggplant for purple) but mushrooms & eggplant are hardest. Must be done on a separate pan bc they throw off a lot of water
Got it. I do roast eggplant sometimes, but only on the BBQ grill outside, but I guess I could roast them in the indoor oven too. Thanks!

DW prepares roasted root vegetables. Carrots, turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, onions. EVOO and seasoning. Delicious all year ‘round but especially good when it’s chilly outside.
Nice! It's been years since I had parsnips, but I should try them again.

Love Mediterranean vegetables.

Love seafood and never eat it fried.

Fresh berries and many other fresh fruits.

Nuts.

Olive oil and olives.

Avocados.

A big fresh salad with nothing but olive oil and pepper.

Back
Top Bottom