Do you have any toys from long ago?

"Do you have any toys from long ago?"

Other than DW, who is in prime condition (not new but "functions" like new), I would have to say "no" :facepalm: ...

Oops, what was the question, again? :cool:

My brother has the one we grew up with. Pretty cool then, and now.

Same here. I don't think he ever sets it up though :( I somehow managed to snag the Signal Bridge. I set that up every year with my FILs tin-plate Lionel, that he got when he was ~ 10 yo (so the train is ~ 75 YO). It was just sitting in their basement - I said, heck, I'll set it up if you aren't interested.

This is the one (pic snagged from internet) - going for ~ $60-130 on ebay.

-ERD50

Attachments

• DSC_0194.jpg
    DSC_0194.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 5
I still have a teddy bear from toddler days. I don't know how it survived but it's still in a bottom dresser drawer.

My mother told me she didn't want me to have it because the dog brought it home from who knows where. She gave in to the squalling on the condition that it first go through the washing machine with some bleach.

After my Mom died, Dad and I moved from our house to an apartment building and most of the old stuff (Lionel trains, Erector Set, stuffed dog, comic book & baseball card collections, etc) were gone, but I still have my Ben Hogan woods and Irons from when I was a teen.

I was thinking along the lines of rescueme. The only toy I've had around for a long time is DH. (37+ yrs) And I'm pretty sure he'd second that.

I still have my JC Higgins .22 cal single shot rifle that I bought at age 9. Still in perfect working order. I think it cost about $8 55 years ago.

My sister got rid of a bunch of stuff about 40 years ago She donated items to some charity sale. Someone I knew bought her 1950 vintage doll and kept it for many years. Perhaps 15 years ago, I bought it back from my acquaintance. For some reason, it still is in my storage on the mainland. Guess dear sister never carted it home.

60 years ago, I went to a Sunday School. Those having birthdays were invited to the front of the church to drop their age in pennies into a metal bank shaped like a cross (getting us ready for "real life", heh, heh). Many years later that particular church had a sale and I found that old bank in the stuff they were selling. I had to have it. Think it cost me $1. I still own it.

I kept a lot of childhood "toys" (boxed up in the old homestead). Most would not be considered toys (e.g., "keys" to take the sealing band off of a Crisco can - I loved to carry these on a key chain.) I mostly made my own toys from things others tossed away. Some are more precious than "real" toys because they remind me of a time long ago when life was "simple". YMMV

My husband still has his model train set (controls, smoke, lots of accessories all in original boxes) that dates from the early 40s.

I have a baby doll (1943 vintage) that I would really like to send to a 'doll hospital' that would be able to fix eyelashes missing from one eye. If anyone knows of a reliable doll doctor send me a pm. I would love to pass that doll on to my doll loving grand-daughter.

I still have my GI Joe and all of the gear and the wooden footlocker that I got back in about '66 or '67. It all in perfect condition too! (unlike my cousins, I took extremely good care of all of my toys)

I also have a lot of my Tonka trucks and Ertl tractors, as well as all of my Matchbox and Husky cars and trucks. I still have my Daisy BB guns, our Pogo Stick, Chemistry Set, various plastic 'army guys', Lincoln Logs, several board games, assorted stuffed toy critters, and various & sundry other odds 'n' ends.

In 1968 or '69, my Grandad bought me a Tyco HO Train Set for Christmas. And now 40+ years later, I not only still have it, but still run it from time to time on my HO railroad empire that it inspired.

Back
Top Bottom