electric car

I agree with you as long as you feel the same way when the government subsidizes people purchase of $40+K "work" SUVs.

At last something we can agree on.

But I can't help feeling the same way as ERD50 "But do you really agree? You seem to be trying to justify the subsidy for EVs?"

In a world of subsidies, I see no reason to NOT have one for solely one type of technology. Even the playing field and I am fine with it, I would prefer that actually.
But while we are giving SUV and other unneeded subsidies, any new tech will have a tough time competing without them.
I also agree with ERD that it would be FAR preferable to simply have a carbon tax and let the market take care of it.
However, since that is not happening, and I don't see any of our political 'leaders' having the fortitude to impliment such a carbon tax, the subsidies are what is left.
I disagree that electric motors of the size and build quality for EV's will be failing sooner than the ICE components. However, I only have what I have heard about their longevity. Do you have any data?

But while we are giving SUV and other unneeded subsidies, any new tech will have a tough time competing without them.

Wait a minute - as far as I know, the 'government subsidizes for $40+K "work" SUVs' are there regardless of the power source. So build an expensive "work" SUV that is battery powered and you get the same subsidy, right? So how is that favoring one technology over the other?

As I understand it, that subsidy was to boost small business by making their work trucks more affordable. I also think that is a stupid way to go about it, as it is indirect and has unintended loopholes and consequences, and favors businesses that use trucks, which isn't every small business. But I don't see it creating an unlevel playing field for EVs.

I'm also not so sure about any problems with longevity of the motors (my guess is just the opposite), but again, this will come to light in a free market as either a positive or negative.

edit/add - I just have to say that anything near $7,500 per vehicle just strikes me as so far outside of any expected return, that I just can't support throwing good money after bad, just because we may live in a 'world of subsidies'.

-ERD50

If I have my way, I would abolish all forms of subsidies and replace them with charities when appropriate. By simply changing the terminology, it makes it difficult to provide charities to richer people... But that's another subject, another thread.

The negative to this though, is that that charging will be done near peak times. I imagine the last thing Austin Texas needs is a bunch of people charging their EVs on a scorching hot summer day where the A/C demand is already strianing the grid.

We really want people charging cars overnight, as there is plenty of unused capacity on the grid at that time, and some power plants actually idle at higher output than is used. If an electric car uses this waste energy, I guess you could actually call it zero-pollution?

Maybe better than this would be small swappable battery packs. Chevy VOLT gets 40 miles on a 375# battery, so roughly 10#/mile. So a 20 mile trip home on 'empty' would require 200# of batteries - If there were a rack in the trunk to hold 10 batteries of 20# each, and an easy, safe connector system, maybe just rent the batteries? Those batteries could be charged overnight at the slow charge rate.

-ERD50

Maybe better than this would be small swappable battery packs. Chevy VOLT gets 40 miles on a 375# battery, so roughly 10#/mile. So a 20 mile trip home on 'empty' would require 200# of batteries - If there were a rack in the trunk to hold 10 batteries of 20# each, and an easy, safe connector system, maybe just rent the batteries? Those batteries could be charged overnight at the slow charge rate.-ERD50

I like it.

We could make them cylindrical like flashlight batteries and just pop 'em in a port on the side. E cells.

Maybe better than this would be small swappable battery packs. Chevy VOLT gets 40 miles on a 375# battery, so roughly 10#/mile. So a 20 mile trip home on 'empty' would require 200# of batteries - If there were a rack in the trunk to hold 10 batteries of 20# each, and an easy, safe connector system, maybe just rent the batteries? Those batteries could be charged overnight at the slow charge rate.

-ERD50

Why would I want to rent 200lbs in order to drive 20 miles? The Volt runs on gas too, right? Why not just spend 1/2 gal of gas to achieve the same result? It's got to be cheaper and much quicker than renting those batteries.

Why would I want to rent 200lbs in order to drive 20 miles? The Volt runs on gas too, right? Why not just spend 1/2 gal of gas to achieve the same result? It's got to be cheaper and much quicker than renting those batteries.

You wouldn't if you had the VOLT. I just used the Volt as a reference point for # of battery per mile. You also wouldn't use a charger like the one in the post by IP for the Volt, that is what I was referring to. The swappable battery pack would apply only to a full EV.

-ERD50

I don't expect to ever be able to use a 100% electric vehicle. The affect of -40 degree temps on the efficiency of any battery plus the need to heat the interior as well as drive the car would make the available range so small it would be useless.

I don't expect to ever be able to use a 100% electric vehicle. The affect of -40 degree temps on the efficiency of any battery plus the need to heat the interior as well as drive the car would make the available range so small as to be useless.

Not if you spring for the pellet stove option.

Not if you spring for the pellet stove option.
If it's a pickup truck then you could always throw a [-]pellet stove[/-] gas-fueled generator in the back and make enough electricity to get you home...

But the more fundamental question would be why you were living there in the first place, let alone driving!

Back
Top Bottom