EV to ICE or Hybrid

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I realize I may be a few+ years early asking this question since EV's haven't been around that long, but I'm curious if anyone here has bought an EV and then gone back to an ICE or a even a hybird vehicle? Anyone? And why?

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure this is out of date, but 1 in 5 went EV>ICE in 2021. I’m sure it still happens but fewer than 1 in 5 in 2023? Couldn’t find a newer source.

…data gathered from Californians who bought an electric vehicle between 2012 and 2018, so it may not be as accurate in 2021, although the point it makes is undeniably still relevant to many people.

The study also points out that of those who went back to gas, 70 percent didn’t have access to Level 2 charging, thus making the ownership experience much more difficult.

https://insideevs.com/news/505232/study-evs-california-return-ice/

Two of my neighbors got rid of their Teslas and bought hybrids. They liked the technology but were put off by the rather Spartan interiors.

A friend told me about a rich guy who bought a new Tesla, and got a flat tire soon after. Tesla said it would take 2 weeks to fix. Guy told Tesla to keep it and went out and bought an ICE BMW.

^^^^^ Must be a joke. :)
Why would it take two weeks to get a flat fix on a Tesla? Did I miss something? Does Tesla use special tires?

Why would it take two weeks to get a flat fix on a Tesla? Did I miss something? Does Tesla use special tires?

Because a lot of rich people don't know how to do anything besides make money. He could have fixed it himself in just a few minutes, but that guy probably never turned a wrench.

There is no good reason.
Tesla Support said:
Can I take my damaged tires to a third-party tire shop?
Yes. Damaged Tesla tires can be taken to Tesla Service Centers or a nearby third-party tire shop for repair or replacement.
And the "guy" lost his shirt on resale. Tesla had a very generous return policy, but too many buyers took bad faith advantage and now it's not.
In October 2020, Tesla discreetly canceled its seven-day return policy on all its vehicles. As of 2023, it is unclear what the updated return policy will be, or if there even will be one at all for new Teslas coming out.
https://www.hotcars.com/tesla-return-policy-2023/

Last edited:
Because a lot of rich people don't know how to do anything besides make money. He could have fixed it himself in just a few minutes, but that guy probably never turned a wrench.
Could be, but from my POV you can "get a flat fixed" quicker than recharging, and at more locations, at least around here. :) So I'm sure he's joking. Just wanted to be sure I didn't miss something about needing special tires. That would be bad.

Sort of like the old joke about a rich guy trading in his new car for a newer one because the ashtrays are full. :)

Last edited:
Right - just another one of those silly stories people love to pass around.

^^^^
No, but if/when you go back to ICE from the EV, it would be interesting "to me" to know why. Or, any regrets, so far?

Last edited:
As noted above, in 2021 and before 70% who go from EV back to ICE did so for charging related issues. Teslas charging network is better than the others, there are tons of horror stories about EA and other chargers wait times, being down or charging so slow they're unusable. Supposedly that's improving solely, and legacy automakers are in a rush to jump on Teslas chargers - but on the road charging needs to improve dramatically.

If you can charge 240V at home, and don't drive long distances too often, and EV can be a great choice today - even a no brainer if you're a two car household with 1 ICE, 1 EV? But I can well understand why folks who drive long distances often/daily or folks who rely mostly/solely on charge stations away from home (esp non Tesla) would shy away from buying any EV.

Last edited:
I didn't go back, but we have an ICE Rubicon that we take to the trails.

I have almost lost the Rubicon by jumping out with it running and in gear(Tesla puts itself in park). It takes some getting used to the lack of regen braking and how it slows down. It's a 2019 Wrangler that feels primitive(why do I have to start it, why are updated maps $50?)by comparison.

^^^^

Or, any regrets, so far?

Zero regrets.

We're really happy with both vehicles and consider the purchase decision to be one of the best we've ever made. For us, the pairing of a hybrid mid-size SUV for road trips with a smaller EV for daily driving is ideal.

Zero regrets.

We're really happy with both vehicles and consider the purchase decision to be one of the best we've ever made. For us, the pairing of a hybrid mid-size SUV for road trips with a smaller EV for daily driving is ideal.
Exactly where will be within a year, seems ideal for us too.

From what I understand, the rich guy had a business arrangement with Tesla and the car was given? to him.

Maybe it was just lent to him. The story did seem odd to me, but my friend swears it’s true. Came from his son who worked for the rich guy.

Last edited:
A friend who owns a Tesla had a flat. They could or would not fix it. It had to be towed to a repair facility. She was livid but not sure all the issues tied to EV tires. I guess you can't plug?

A friend told me about a rich guy who bought a new Tesla, and got a flat tire soon after. Tesla said it would take 2 weeks to fix. Guy told Tesla to keep it and went out and bought an ICE BMW.

And the replies:

There is no good reason.

Right - just another one of those silly stories people love to pass around.

Wait a minute - might be exaggerated by 2nd/3rd hand re-telling, but maybe not silly at all.

Here's a video from a real Tesla/EV fan (not a naysayer by any means), check in at 6:40, he hits a pothole; flat tire and damaged wheel. He tries to get service, he's being told he probably won't get it fixed the same day. He gets to the service center, and he's lucky that while he was away from home, he was within 50 miles of a service center (near Chicago on his road trip), or he'd have to pay for the tow. He gets to the service center, and he says their face drops when he mentions which wheel size he had ( 8:30), the Chicago service center (obviously a BIG city, not out in the boonies) said they don't always have those in stock (not clear how long it would take to get them if not in stock). The service guy is "shocked" that they had one in stock. So he got 'lucky', and that flat 'only' took 6.5 hours and $2,600.

He points out that while he waited, he saw lots of cars hit that pothole, and no one got a flat. He attributes that to the low-profile tires on that Model Tesla, and the extra weight of an EV.

Remember, this guy is very pro Tesla/EV (though he likes the roar and shifting of an ICE - he's a car-guy), not some guy trying to put them in a bad light.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I'm still driving an ICE, but had been considering an EV for my next car. But I'm still concerned about the range limitations and charging capabilities. We drive long distances pretty often. Then I was reading about hybrids having a smaller carbon footprint than EVs, based on battery needs and other things. I think I'll probably go hybrid if I ever get another car.

Here's an example article about the carbon footprint comparisons - https://www.motorbiscuit.com/hybrid-cars-are-answer-electric-vehicles-are-not/

A friend who owns a Tesla had a flat. They could or would not fix it. It had to be towed to a repair facility. She was livid but not sure all the issues tied to EV tires. I guess you can't plug?
Tires are tires. I had two patches, not plugs, as plugs are not safe, on my Y before I got new tires. The only difference is that on the Y, they have foam liners in the 19" wheels. Any competent tire shop simply cuts and removes it for the repair, two minutes top. They ask if you want it back in, no charge. When I got new tires, I had them remove it. I can't tell any difference.

Tesla service isn't the best place for tires. Discount Tire or your local tire shop is better. Imagine how you would hate if you had to use the local Ford/Chevrolet/ Toyota shop for tire repair. These places are geared for vehicle repairs. Tires are a side deal. Yeah, they have the equipment, not the inventory. Tire places do that.

Tesla Y doesn't come with a spare. I carry a repair kit and a compressor for emergency purposes.

Last edited:
Tires are tires. I had two patches, not plugs, as plugs are not safe, on my Y before I got new tires. ...

Tesla Y doesn't come with a spare. I carry a repair kit and a compressor for emergency purposes.

Low profile tires are different, I will avoid then on any future car purchase. And on any tire, sidewall damage should not be patched, plugs/patch is not an option (not a safe one anyhow).

-ERD50

Tires are tires. I had two patches, not plugs, as plugs are not safe, on my Y before I got new tires. The only difference is that on the Y, they have foam liners in the 19" wheels. Any competent tire shop simply cuts and removes it for the repair, two minutes top. They ask if you want it back in, no charge. When I got new tires, I had them remove it. I can't tell any difference.

Tesla service isn't the best place for tires. Discount Tire or your local tire shop is better. Imagine how you would hate if you had to use the local Ford/Chevrolet/ Toyota shop for tire repair. These places are geared for vehicle repairs. Tires are a side deal. Yeah, they have the equipment, not the inventory. Tire places do that.

Well, it was not my experience, but a simple flat sure seems to have become something more major.

It has been 13 years since I bought my first EV.
I have switched Models a few times, but never back to ICE.

No regrets, I haven’t once been even tempted to consider an ICE vehicle.

Well, usually have 2 cars, had one ICE & one EV(Ford Focus Electric) and then after lease went to ICE+PHEV (Ford Fusion Energi) really liked it, was in an accident and replaced with a EV Chevy Bolt. DW loves the Bolt. Will probably alway have an EV & ICE as we 4X4 and haul around kayaks, trailers & things, so no EV for that although the Jeep Wrangler 4XE looks good.

Low profile tires are different, I will avoid then on any future car purchase. And on any tire, sidewall damage should not be patched, plugs/patch is not an option (not a safe one anyhow).

-ERD50
Mine aren't low profile. I intentionally avoided them because of our prolific potholes.

I remember in PA hitting one pothole and ruining 2 rims.

Back
Top Bottom