EV to ICE or Hybrid

I knew someone with a small fleet of diesel trucks for their business. These things had large oil reserves, so an oil change was big bucks. He'd send the oil in for testing, and found he could really stretch the oil change interval (I think the trucks had hour meters on them, rather than go by miles, since they'd spend time idling at the job?) before the tests started indicating the oil was losing effectiveness (contaminants, viscosity, acidity, etc).

-ERD50

Besides viscosity and metals, we used to look at TBN (additive package remaining) to get a read on what's left of the oil.

Yes. Same earlier this year.

I've driven stretches of I10 in Texas that had no RADIO reception for 45 minutes! Probably no cell reception (and probably no super-chargers - I just threw that in for free.:cool:)

I've driven stretches of road in Colorado that had no cell service for 45 minutes. This was less than two years ago.
I did so two days ago. CO-133 from Montrose to Aspen over McClure pass. Not a problem, the car and phones had the route buffered. But I could always have read road signs if needed.

If any car is disabled out of cell phone range that might be a problem.

We have the SOS satellite link showing up on our iPhones these days when out of cell tower range.

Last edited:
Toyota has announced that the new Camry model will be available only as a hybrid.

Interesting times in the auto world.

Toyota has announced that the new Camry model will be available only as a hybrid.

Interesting times in the auto world.

Okay by me. Hopefully, by the time I need another car, there will be a gently used Camry Hybrid with my name on it.

Here are some interesting numbers from the Car Dealership Guy on Toyota and hybrids:

Toyota is betting big on its hybrid strategy:

After 15 years, the well-known Toyota 4Runner is getting a *hybrid* option.

Besides a new look, upgraded interior tech, and turbocharged engine — this is a calculated move from the brand executed with precision.

Here’s why:

In Q1 alone, Toyota/Lexus electrified vehicle sales soared to a new record 206,850 vehicles.

A staggering 74% increase year-over-year, making up over a third of total sales.

The primary driver of this sales increase?

Hybrids.

And with sales on fire, Toyota has proven that it knows what its buyers want… and it's not going to change course quickly.

Last edited:
I bought a PHEV in 2018 and loved it.
Just bought a different PHEV last month and like it even better.

I believe I'm still years away from being comfortable with a BEV, and I'm happy to be past the ICE stage. It's so nice that there are options for everyone.

We’ve had 4 hybrids before buying our first BEV, so I understand the thought process. We have a HEV and a BEV at present. BEVs don’t make sense for everyone, unlike hybrids that make sense for most (not all).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom