Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a PGA Super Store for my first time. Wow on the size, inventory and tech. Every piece of golf gear you can imagine, 10-20 times more extensive than a big Dick's or Golf Galaxy. The biggest golf store I've ever seen by far.

On the other hand, service was lacking despite plenty of people on the floor. Some were tied up with lessons and club fitting, some restocking, and some just walking around doing nothing much. I was trying out putters, along with others, and no one ever came by to see if anyone needed help. I finally asked the cashier to send someone over, she asked in her lapel mic. After 10 minutes I looked over at her and she mouthed 'I asked again.' After another 10 minutes, she asked a third time and one of the floor walkers came over. He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, didn't ask any questions or ask me to see my putting stroke or setup. He asked me what brands and styles I liked, when I told him he said they were all good putters. Was aware of toe hang, just barely. Asked me my height and said the length I was looking at was probably right. He basically said try as many as you want and pick the one you like best, 'that's what I do.' Good thing for them I'd narrowed it down to a few brands/styles and after trying them and others, I knew which one I wanted. I might have thought I could get a little guidance for a putter that cost more than all three of my woods. I bought despite the poor service because they're the only dealer for miles - I usually don't overlook poor service.

The online reviews said their service was indifferent or worse, but I didn't believe them. Now I do...

Most places now do "putter fittings" but it will cost you. Some take the cost out if you buy from them. Might be worth it. The advice you're likely to get on the sales floor is worth the price you paid for it,usually.

Just coming back to the game after a 15 year hiatus.

I've had one eagle on a par 3 and several on par 5's, but none that I remember on a par 4 - until yesterday. I hit a big drive (for me) to within 35 yards on a short par 4, and then chipped in for a 2! Lofted a sand wedge over a hazard and the ball broke right to left about 5 feet on the green - and rolled in. Obviously 98% luck but still fun to watch. Those are the shots that keep players coming back out to play golf (and erase the bad ones from memory).

Most places now do "putter fittings" but it will cost you. Some take the cost out if you buy from them. Might be worth it. The advice you're likely to get on the sales floor is worth the price you paid for it,usually.
I bought an Evnroll ER-2 putter, and my putting has improved considerably. It's a much heavier head than my old Odyssey which makes it feel like it swings itself. Of course I realize it's not the putter, but I just feel a lot more confident over the ball. And I've been practicing and reestablishing a more consistent setup and stroke, the real reason I'm putting better I'm sure. Even though I know better and I'm painfully logical with most things, golf is more mental than physical IME.

I've had one eagle on a par 3 and several on par 5's, but none that I remember on a par 4 - until yesterday. I hit a big drive (for me) to within 35 yards on a short par 4, and then chipped in for a 2! Lofted a sand wedge over a hazard and the ball broke right to left about 5 feet on the green - and rolled in. Obviously 98% luck but still fun to watch. Those are the shots that keep players coming back out to play golf (and erase the bad ones from memory).

I too had my first eagle on a par 4 last week. After a good drive, I was about 115 yds out uphill. Hit my pw and thought I hit it fat. Said same to my partner. Ball took one bounce and plunk!

Only the 4th eagle I've ever had and only one was a conventional.

rare bird, that eagle - at least in my regular game

I actually reached a par 5 in two in a tournament saturday - yeah I pared it :eek:

About 5 years ago, as we waited on the next tee box, we saw a guy in the group behind us lip out a hole in one. Normally, that's nothing special...except that in this case it was on a 310 yard par 4!!

About 5 years ago, as we waited on the next tee box, we saw a guy in the group behind us lip out a hole in one. Normally, that's nothing special...except that in this case it was on a 310 yard par 4!!

tell me he made the putt...

I thought an eagle on a par 3 was called a hole in one!?!?

Well, I signed up for a short series of lessons @ my local course. I concluded that I just couldn't fix my swing by myself. So, I'm giving up a playing day every other week for this lesson series. But, I actually like to practice so, it's not a big sacrifice.

I've done the first lesson (short 30 mins) and it's helping; at least it's helping on the range. I was taking the club back way too open & my shoulders were open in my setup. Correcting those two things is helping; the ball is going straight or has a baby draw. Now, I just need to ingrain that so it comes naturally.

Second lesson today; worked on club path & face rotation.

It's interesting with lessons; for me, I don't always get it right away. So, the pro explains it several different ways until it resonates, then he reinforces it when I give him what he's looking for.

One step back, two steps forward. [emoji849]

Third lesson two days ago. Making progress on the range (I think :rolleyes:) but, still having trouble with consistency during a round. On the range, I can actually draw the ball (a new experience for me), especially well with short irons (P-7). Think I need more practice to ingrain it.

In the meantime, my HI has gone up 3 strokes. :facepalm:

Maybe it's one step forward, two steps back...at least for a while.

I thought an eagle on a par 3 was called a hole in one!?!?
Obviously it's both. In that post I was sharing my overall experience with eagles, and I haven't had a hole-in-one on a par 4 or 5...

Just scored myself a set of used, one year old Mizuno JPX 850 forged irons for $225 off of Craigslist. Now to try them out !

BTW, everyone knows what an eagle is but do you know what an albatross is ? Golf trivia question of the day.

albatross is a 2 on a par 5 or an ace on a par 4

US Open looks more like Buick Open, with low scores and "non-major" names on top. Just doesn't have the "survivor" vibe of tradional US Opens.

The lack of wind and soft, receptive greens/fairways made Erin Hills pretty tame.

For what some are saying about the course being an easy track, it sure did eat up all the big names. I enjoyed the venue and watching some good golf.

well I wont' be playing it any time soon - looks like it's $400 or so a round

Glad to see Koepka win a major. I was watching yesterday & thinking about having seen in person many of those in contention yesterday when I volunteered @ the WGC in 2015: Koepka, Fleetwood, Matsuyama, Garcia, Fowler, Reed & Hoffman; others too, who were not in contention. It's cool to see them on TV & think about watching them up close in person, realizing just how good they are. A golf buddy, who also volunteered, and I watched Bubba, Koepka, JB Holmes & Gary Woodland all hitting on the range simultaneously; like watching cannons go off at a military parade.

I posted a few weeks ago about getting fitted for a driver and fairway wood. I have since received the clubs and am happy to report that it was money well spent.

Prior to the club fitting, I was using an old knock off 4-wood and barely hitting it 200 off the tee. Part of the reason for the lack of distance is my slow swing speed, but I have also never felt that comfortable using a driver. At only 5'7", hitting longer shaft clubs has always been a problem. The club fitter built a 42.5" driver and a fairway wood and so far I have used them in 2 games, and also in a scramble yesterday. The scramble gave me a chance to swing faster that I normally would have when my tee shots were not needed and the results were far better than I could have hoped.

The fairway wood goes about 220 and straight. The driver has been consistently going around 235 - 240. In the scramble yesterday, on one hole straight into a 50kph (30 mph) wind when my drive wasn't needed, I swung hard and hit the driver 235 yards...taking into account the wind, that was probably the furthest I have ever hit a tee shot. :dance: Both myself and my long time golf friends were completely amazed.

I should have been fitted for clubs 20 years ago!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom