Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out.

Is the spike claw remover tool you refer to the one with the sharp teeth that digs into the old spike when you twist it? I've always had good luck using that tool. I switched over to spikeless golf shoes the last couple years, I walk most of my rounds and find them more comfortable but still keep a pair of spiked golf shoes available for wet conditions (better grip).

Is the spike claw remover tool you refer to the one with the sharp teeth that digs into the old spike when you twist it? I've always had good luck using that tool. I switched over to spikeless golf shoes the last couple years, I walk most of my rounds and find them more comfortable but still keep a pair of spiked golf shoes available for wet conditions (better grip).

Yes, that is the tool. I have about [-]eight[/-] four different pairs of golf shoes, two spineless and two with spikes. This time of year I wouldn't recommend going spikeless just too wet.

Last edited:
Congrats Phil, now go out and get another major or two. Nice to see the old dog beat the young pups every now and then.

Kind of off topic but has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the new style snap in golf shoe spikes ? I'll admit to being a little negligent and not replacing my spikes in a timely manner. Yesterday I damn near broke my wrist using a spike claw remover to get the old spikes out. Even reverted to U-tube for some guidance, which there isn't much. All is done and new black widow spikes installed but oh boy what a major PIA and about a two hour process.

soak the bottom of the shoes in some water, wait a bit

get a good spike wrench - it should only take 15 minutes a pair

i prefer to use the champion softspikes when replacing the old ones

I have yet to break 80 on a par 70/72 course... I have had a 80 on my home course, a number of low 80s at various courses, a 75 on an executive course (so I don't count that) and countless sub-40 nine-hole rounds... I just haven't been able to put two sub-40 halves together in the same round.

I've even had a number of sub-40 back nines followed a couple days later by a sub-40 front nine. Frustrating!

Well, I finally broke 80! :dance:

Had a 38 on the front and a 41 on the back.

I knew I was having a good round but intentionally didn't look at the scorecard after the 8th hole and pared the 9th and was pleasantly surprised by the 38 and thought... this might be the day.

No 10 was a par 5 and I had two good shots and a 10' eagle putt that I pulled :mad: but left close for a tap-in birdie. A double on a 130 yd par 3 and also on a par 5 :facepalm: meant that I had to go par-par to end up under 80. A scramble to save par on 17 and a fairly pedestrian par on 18 did the trick.

I almost wilted under the pressure. It was a pleasure to post that score! :D

I knew I was having a good round but intentionally didn't look at the scorecard after the 8th hole and pared the 9th and was pleasantly surprised by the 38 and thought... this might be the day.

Congratulations! Most of the golf psychologist say your performance will be better if you don't focus on your score during the round. Sometimes easier said then done.

No 10 was a par 5 and I had two good shots and a 10' eagle putt that I pulled :mad: but left close for a tap-in birdie. A double on a 130 yd par 3 and also on a par 5 :facepalm: meant that I had to go par-par to end up under 80. A scramble to save par on 17 and a fairly pedestrian par on 18 did the trick.

Congrats!

I played yesterday. Course finally drying out a bit with all the wind and sunshine. I had a good day with a couple of birdies and a few bogeys. Ended up with a 76. Even tho the course was only playing at 6,100 yds(played with the geezers) I was really proud of the round with all the wind we had. My putting was much better too. My hands have been hanging a little too close to my legs and I changed to a more Steve Stricker like posture with hands held a little higher and arms close to my body. It felt so natural. Hopefully not a one day success story. ;)

It was a pleasure to post that score! :D
Congrats!!!

I don’t keep track of my score when I play either, even if I’m keeping the card. I have a general sense but my score is usually a couple strokes better than I expect.

Congrats and quite a milestone. Now the trick is to stay below 80. I can remember the early days of being proud to break 100 and then 90 but 80 is definitely a sign you are a player.

soak the bottom of the shoes in some water, wait a bit

get a good spike wrench - it should only take 15 minutes a pair

i prefer to use the champion softspikes when replacing the old ones
+1. Good tip, I’ve struggled to replace soft spikes before, I’ll try soaking them first next time. Thanks.

Congrats and quite a milestone. Now the trick is to stay below 80. I can remember the early days of being proud to break 100 and then 90 but 80 is definitely a sign you are a player.
Friend of mine who breaks 80 occasionally told me he hates to shoot 80. 79 is OK and so is 81, but not 80. We can all find a shot wasted in any round, I know I can.

Congrats on breaking 80, pb.

I've got a Match play match coming up. I was high qualifier at 81, have to play medalist who shot 71. All parts of my game have been good except chipping.

Played warmup round yesterday. Told one of the guys I was going to work on chipping. Had 2 15-25 pitch shots on front, got 1 up and down. On back, I hit every green(!?!). Ended up shooting 72. Best round in s couple years.

Wish that would've been my match. Still lack confidence in chipping.

This happens to me all the time - leaving the spikes in too long. What helps me is a gadget made by softspikes. Not sure of the name of it but it's a torque wrench for plastic spikes. Still need elbow grease but makes the job alot easier.

Soak them in water to the top of the soles. It'll loosen up the dirt.
Use WD 40 before putting the new ones in.

Let me add my late congratulations! :dance:

This may just be what you need to start breaking 80 regularly. I had two years where I kept shooting lots of 80's and 81's but I couldn't break through - lots of late round bogeys. Went out the following spring and the first round (when expectations are lowest) I shot 78. I've been breaking 80 regularly ever since. Sometimes it just gets to be a mental thing.

I hope so but certainly not yesterday... admittedly a much more difficult course and the greens were fast and slippery... but it was if I forgot how to play golf for a while... I made some pars and pared the 18th so perhaps the golf gods want me to come back.

Funny game.

Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes. :facepalm: :LOL:

Golf season is still a good 5 or 6 weeks away up here, but today I signed up for a 5 lesson block with a local pro to sharpen up my swing before the season starts. When I'm "on" my swing is great...I'll run a string of 5 or 6 holes together at even par seemingly at ease, but the last couple of years some old habits have crept back into my swing and my game has suffered. I've become the guy who shoots 91 while going + 12 on just 4 holes. :facepalm: :LOL:

Oh, so now you are a great partner for better ball play.:cool:

saw JCretire77 yesterday

told him I was thinking about you guys after I was one over after 5 holes, damn mean reversion :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom