Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my first ever hole-in-one (and first ever eagle for that matter) today. The hole was 118 yard par 3, slightly uphill with a large bunker protecting the green and a front pin. I hit a pitching wedge... caught it well but thought it might be bit short so I called out for it to "go"... it cleared the bunker and I breathed a sigh of relief..... then it took a big hop and started rolling towards the pin. I almost turned away at that point, but the ball started curling to the left and then we lost sight of it and the high-fives began! :dance:

Congrats. Perhaps #2 will soon follow.

Congrats pb, I am still waiting for my first!! I've heard it helps if you hit the green!!

VW

It also helps to have patience, it took me over 40 years of playing golf before I got my first one.

I think we need to expect current avid golfers to be the one's to engage new generations of golfers. I taught my boys as soon as they could hold clubs by using driving ranges and par 3s. I made sure they knew the importance of pace of play and respect. Then it's important to get them playing with juniors their age or some competitive fashion to make it stick. Both of my boys like to play, but have bigger priorities in their early 20s. I expect it to build when they can play with professional peers and at least we have something we can do together for decades.

Have we all introduced a junior to the game?

Biggest Choke/Collapses

Saw JT los to JB shooting last round 75. Must've been something in the air yesterday.

We had our 2019 Club Champ at KingK.

Due to rain, Course CLOSED Wednesday Thursday Friday. Sat-Sun played lift-clean- place, thru the green (roughs, too). Black-Blue tees, about 6750.

Saturday only 3 players break 80, 2017 Champ(79), 2018Champ(75), and me(77).

Sun I 3 putt twice from 15&30 ft in first 3 holes. Basket case. End up with 5 3putts after none Sat.

2017Champ, who's drives are 30-40 yds longer than my best, starts with 10 pars before birdying the 11th, while me & 2018 shoot 42. He now has 5 stroke lead on defending champ. Makes a couple bogeys and a double to still lead by 2 coming to the 165 yard par 3 17th. 2017Champ made 12 on this hole leading in last round a few years ago. This time he shanks his tee shot into the weeds. Hits another which he absolutely heels, almost hitting his own left leg, bouncing off a rock wall and coming to rest about 10 yards ahead of the tee. Fats his next(4th) with the 2nd ball. Then finds his original in the weeds. It's not a hazard, so he lift-clean-place within a scorecard, and hacks it out. So he's now hitting 3 from 100 yards. He fats this one halfway, chips up and takes 6. 2018 pars. 2017 starts saying how he just gave away.

2018, now w 2 stroke lead on par 5 18th, is legitimate scratch golfer. He pipes his drive, then hits his 2nd shot dead right OB. Hits his provisional the same way, but it hits a tree and stays in. He makes 8.

2017 Champ is 70 yds off green in 2, par ties low in clubhouse, birdie wins. He lays the sod over it again, chips up makes bogey.

I finish birdie-par to end up 1 stroke behind them.

Crazy game.

I believe the rules say that if you think a ball is lost and you put another in play, you cannot play the originally lost ball even if you find it.

I believe the rules say that if you think a ball is lost and you put another in play, you cannot play the originally lost ball even if you find it.

If the player declared the ball to be a provisional ball when he teed it then it is a provision until he gets to where his first ball is thought to be.

But you are right, if he did not say to his competitors that it was a provisional ball then the first ball is abandoned and his second ball is his only ball in play.

gcgang, did 2017 champ declare the ball after one he shanked into the weeds to be a provisional ball?

If the player declared the ball to be a provisional ball when he teed it then it is a provision until he gets to where his first ball is thought to be.

But you are right, if he did not say to his competitors that it was a provisional ball then the first ball is abandoned and his second ball is his only ball in play.

gcgang, did 2017 champ declare the ball after one he shanked into the weeds to be a provisional ball?

I mentioned this to 2018 while both balls were in play. I didn't hear him declare provisional. 2018 declined to do anything. I thought it too much of an a**hole thing for me to try to enforce if the guy who would benefit wasn't going to do it. I know, I know, protect the field. I would've mentioned it to 2017 if he would've tied/won overall. Let him make the call if it came to that.

But still, it was such a tragedy for him, it would've been too much to make it worse by bringing it up. And I am a Rules guy.

So, we've never had a repeat Champion.

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing... life is too short and it was up to 2017 to call himself.

Just wondering though... life-clean and place through green includes areas outside of the fairway or rough? I thought it had to be a mown area... not sure if "weeds" count.

Then finds his original in the weeds. It's not a hazard, so he lift-clean-place within a scorecard, and hacks it out.

I think you did the right thing... life is too short and it was up to 2017 to call himself.

Just wondering though... life-clean and place through green includes areas outside of the fairway or rough? I thought it had to be a mown area... not sure if "weeds" count.

It was lift-clean-place in what is now defined as the "general area". This includes all areas except for four exceptions, tee, green, bunkers and penalty areas. Weeds, or the plants that grow where not mown, aren't any of those four, and not OB, so still on the course.

You're right, The old rule, I think, used to be closely mown (fairways). I asked that very question on the 1st tee to our pro (tournament Committee).

It would have been brutal to try to hit out of the rough, unmown and wet, if the ball settled down.

My DW and I are considering a drive to St. George, UT for a golf trip. Any recommendations for courses or places to stay? La Quinta Inn seems like a reasonably priced place, with a package including Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon and Sunbrook. Thanks in advance.

Golf Talk Tuesdays

My DW and I are considering a drive to St. George, UT for a golf trip. Any recommendations for courses or places to stay? La Quinta Inn seems like a reasonably priced place, with a package including Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon and Sunbrook. Thanks in advance.

Cool! I’m going with a group in May; will be my second time there. I like these courses:

- Sand Hollow

- Sky Mountain

- Sunbrook

- Ledges

- Wolf Creek (Mesquite, NV)

We’re doing a package through The Ledges Resort, where they arrange it all & give discounts. PM me if you want the contact info.

Last edited:

I bet you could get out on some private courses while you are there....

So, it's been a good couple days. Won some lottery money over the weekend:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/minimized-sorr-today-96505.html

And, I walked into Costco today and they had the Kirkland 3 piece golf balls right in the front door. They were $23.00 limit two. Two trips later, I have four packages (which is 8 dozen) in my car. Smiling all the way home. I'm not sure if they are as good as ProV's, but if they're even close for a quarter of the money, I'm going to be very happy. DW didn't understand my excitement. I helped her understand by telling her that "you know, every time I come here and say I'm gonna take a quick check for golf balls"? Well, these are what I've been looking for. On the way out, the guy checking the receipt says - those are the good ones, with a big smile on his face. Good indeed. :)

BTW, they look to be online at the moment if you're interested.

ProVs are about $50/dz, not $100

Right. I got 2 dozen for $23.99. $12 per dozen versus $50 per dozen is about a quarter of the cost. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. They come in a 2 dozen package.

Right. I got 2 dozen for $23.99. $12 per dozen versus $50 per dozen is about a quarter of the cost. Sorry, I didn't make it clear. They come in a 2 dozen package.

oh geez that's a smoking deal!

They are not the original balls that were said to compare with the ProV's. Those were four piece balls, but doing some research, these three piece balls seem to get good reviews. Good thing about Costco is that if I don't like them, I can return them. I'm a hacker, so as long as they're as good as the Calloway Superhot's that Costco sells (hopefully better), still hard to go wrong for a buck a ball.

I've tried the Kirkland ball, not as good as the ProV1 but definitely worth the money. They seem to be always in stock at the Costco's I've been to in AZ. Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.

Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.

Good to know. I've wondered about them. I like a new glove more often than my wallet likes.

I've tried the Kirkland ball, not as good as the ProV1 but definitely worth the money. They seem to be always in stock at the Costco's I've been to in AZ. Another good golf value at Costco is the 4-pack of Callaway leather golf gloves, very good glove, soft and last a long time.

I got 24 about a month ago.... the Kirkland was the ball that I got my whole in one with.... overall I'm happy with them.... good value.

The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

White tees, 5911 yds at Crane Creek, Boise.

Back to reality today.

The stars must have been aligned yesterday. I tied my best round. If it had not been for the triple bogie on hole number eight I would have finally broken 80. For whatever reason it was a good day, 43 front, 37 back (3 bogies, 2 birdies).

White tees, 5911 yds at Crane Creek, Boise.

Back to reality today.

Good job....especially in cool weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom