Golf Talk Tuesdays 2015-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I’ve been retired a few months and playing regularly, I’m considering getting fitted for some new clubs to replace my randomly acquired set that is 10 – 15 years old.

I’ve been looking at Club Champions, the PGA Store or Golf Galaxy for the fitting. Would anyone recommend these stores, or should I consider other options.

Is going for the entire set at once the best option (DW is ok with the expenditure) or is it best to piecemeal it?

golf galaxy would work - we have one here and I know a few people that have been fitted there

I've purchased and got fitted for many clubs at Golf Galaxy/Golfsmith. I think they are fine for a club fitting.

Hot here, heat index in the triple digits, sciatic pain acting up and the hydrocodone isn't helping. Need surgery or cooler weather or maybe both.

Golf is a funny game. My last post #2003 "It was hot and I sucked"...

tonight's post: I subbed in a league. Best ever 9 hole score. 34...7 pars, 2 birdies.

I have no clue where that came from.

Is going for the entire set at once the best option (DW is ok with the expenditure) or is it best to piecemeal it?

I think of my clubs as four sets. Irons 5-SW, "Woods" = driver, 3 wood and maybe a 5 wood, Hybrids = something equivalent to a 3 or 4 iron or a 5 wood, and then my Lofted clubs and my putter. IMO, there is no need to buy them all at one time, but I'd give some thought to the make-up of your set before buying anything.

When I bought my set, I got the irons (5-SW), hybrids (20° and 23°), driver and a three wood. Later, I got a nice putter and I'm trying to find a couple lofted clubs I like.

If your set is 10-15 years old, you may find that you'll be most impressed with the irons. Again, just my opinion, but I found them to be more advanced and do more for my game than I did any other clubs when I re-did my set of about 15 years old.

Last week I achieved a first for me... 5 straight days of golf. 5 rounds, 90 holes, across 3 courses. Walked all rounds except one. Senior tees on 3 days, "regular" tees on 2. It was not exhausting at all, it was a good workout. We will not discuss my scores (I am happy to get bogeys and break 100 on the regular tees :D) but by the last round some aspects of my game had noticeably improved. It was better and (for some of the courses) cheaper than being on the driving range. :)

I’ve (moved and) joined a league that plays Stableford. Any pointers on how best to play to score? As far as I can see, it’s best to go for it on almost every shot, playing smart/course management doesn’t pay as much.

I’ve (moved and) joined a league that plays Stableford. Any pointers on how best to play to score? As far as I can see, it’s best to go for it on almost every shot, playing smart/course management doesn’t pay as much.

It somewhat depends on your skill level but I wouldn't be too aggressive, double bogeys are costly and need to be avoided, they can often come into play if you're attempting shots that have little chance of success. If you're playing for skins then birdies are usually needed but pars are your friend in most competitions.

Do you have a quota system that is adjusted weekly ? My Thursday group uses a modified stableford scoring system with quotas adjusted weekly which seem to work out well.

Do you have a quota system that is adjusted weekly ? My Thursday group uses a modified stableford scoring system with quotas adjusted weekly which seem to work out well.
Yes. I should’ve said our system doesn’t deduct points for double bogeys or worse and everyone just picks up if they’re not in with a bogey - that’s why I don’t see any reason to “manage the course” like I otherwise would for stroke play. And our quotas/points are based on our running 4 score average, and that seems to work well. You really couldn’t sandbag without going out of your way.

Yes, thanks for asking. I should’ve said our modified system doesn’t deduct points (like when pros play Stableford). That’s why I don’t see any reason to “manage the course” like I otherwise would for stroke play.

Our quotas/points are based on our running 4 score average, and that seems to work well. You really couldn’t sandbag without going out of your way.

Last edited:
Today was a good day on the course. I have to preface this with the fact that I played with a Sr. friend and since he plays the front tees, so did I. I have done this before and not broke 100 on this course. Today I hit 90. Good drives, putted well and no major blowup holes. To top things off, the sky was blue and temp was mid 70’s. Got around the course in less than three hours. Just a really good day of recreational golf.

Life is good! I had a good day with a couple friends yesterday. Played ok but not great but we got around in about 2:45... quite fast for our groups.... no lost balls but a dumb triple on 18.

Not Tuesday.... but a great day on the links today. Two birdies... too many double bogies... but 44/40/84.... +13 gross... -3 net.

Won the first of the two closest to the pin holes... about 10' on a 130 yd par-3... $25! I was also closest to the pin on the second one once our #3 group was through, but someone in a later group beat me out.

Our 5-man team ended up third.... just in the money.

Had three birdies in league last week, unusual for me, I usually have 1 or 2.

Funny game. I get myself in trouble off the tee too often, long (in league) but not straight, usually hit 5-8 fairways of 14. Iron play including recovery shots usually pretty solid. Chipping and putting come and go slightly for no apparent reason - some days I almost can’t miss (within reason), other days I can’t get up and down or 1 putt from more than 4 feet to save my life. Wish I knew why after playing for 55 years...no clue. :blush:

Last edited:
I carded a 79 today, I only break 80 occasionally. I was pretty pleased - except my 67 year old (league) playing partner shot a 68! :blink:

He didn’t make them but he had eagle putts on two par 5’s and one (242 yard) par 4! On one of the par 5’s his 200 yard second shot landed about 15 feet from the pin and rolled by within inches of the pin and finished about 6 feet past - would have been an albatross. He was understandably disappointed with his birdie (one of 7). He hit so many beautiful shots it was mind boggling. I’ve never seen anyone play like that firsthand, it was really something to watch. Inspiring. And he’s a really nice, unassuming guy to boot, well liked in the league.

Last edited:
Funny game. I get myself in trouble off the tee too often, long (in league) but not straight, usually hit 5-8 fairways of 14. Iron play including recovery shots usually pretty solid.

If you're long off the tee then you're driving is probably better than you think, hitting 8 of 14 fairways is probably close to the PGA Tour average for fairways hit.

I'm not a long hitter off the tee... probably average 200 at best... 225 is very good for me. Anyway, for the first time ever I won the longest drive hole in our family tournament today... by about 2' over DBIL. A cousin was about 5 yds longer... but was in a fairway trap.

Today was a good day on the course. I have to preface this with the fact that I played with a Sr. friend and since he plays the front tees, so did I. I have done this before and not broke 100 on this course. Today I hit 90. Good drives, putted well and no major blowup holes. To top things off, the sky was blue and temp was mid 70’s. Got around the course in less than three hours. Just a really good day of recreational golf.

Nothing wrong with playing the closer tees. I play once a week with my BIL who is not a great golfer. We play the senior tees and it's the most fun I have playing golf. I score a little better and even have a chance to reach the occasional par 5 in two. I'd move there permanently if I could convince the guys in my regular game to do it. But not likely.

If you're long off the tee then you're driving is probably better than you think, hitting 8 of 14 fairways is probably close to the PGA Tour average for fairways hit.

Well, he did say 8 fw's was the high end so the 5 at the low end isn't too good. But more important than the fw's you hit are how good are your misses. Hitting 10 of 14 fw's is good but if the 4 you miss are OB, no bueno. I'll deliberately aim into the left rough on a dogleg right to insure I have a good angle into the green.

I carded a 79 today, I only break 80 occasionally. I was pretty pleased - except my 67 year old (league) playing partner shot a 68! :blink:

He didn’t make them but he had eagle putts on two par 5’s and one (242 yard) par 4! On one of the par 5’s his 200 yard second shot landed about 15 feet from the pin and rolled by within inches of the pin and finished about 6 feet past - would have been an albatross. He was understandably disappointed with his birdie (one of 7). He hit so many beautiful shots it was mind boggling. I’ve never seen anyone play like that firsthand, it was really something to watch. Inspiring. And he’s a really nice, unassuming guy to boot, well liked in the league.

It is fun to watch someone playing that well, and even better if it's someone likeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom