Have you actually calculated how much you spend for coffee annually?

I buy organic coffee beans at Costco and a three pound bag lasts me roughly 2 months. So I maybe spend $110 a year.

Last edited:
We do about one pot(40oz) between us daily. We like it strong and black. Usually a french roast or Sumatran. Generally find a 12 oz. bag on sale for $5-$6. Usually Peets or Green Mountain or Starbucks.
2 oz. of ground makes a 40 oz pot so about 6 pots per bag=$.83 -$1.00 per pot. So roughly $350-$400/year for the two of us. Occasionally buy a road coffee but not very often.

I only buy coffee at Starbucks, where I consider it a snack, experience, and treat rather than an actual cup of coffee.

I don't drink it on a regular basis. I never fix it at home, and I never drink it at restaurants with meals.

Last 12 months Quicken says $42.48 total.

I go through a box of 100 pods each month for $20.
Average a McDonald's or convenience store coffee about once a week = about $6 a month.

a few times a year I buy a bag beans of either Black Rifle or Starbucks holiday blend, maybe $60 a year.

Total about $372 per year.

Forgot the creamer, about $4 per month. Total $420.

Got away from drinking coffee several years back. We still have the Keurig for guests or the very occasional cup for ourselves. We might drink a couple of cups/month and spend maybe $1 total. My downfall is diet soda. I'll drink 6 or 8 per day at about $0.35/each. That's maybe $2.50/day or $900/year. I GOTTA deal with this! YMMV

DH and I together use 1 oz of beans each morning. I'll experiment on occasion but have grown to like two medium dark coffees: one a Sumatra Mandheling (Private Selection) that I try to buy on sale for $5.00 to $6.00 a ten oz bag, the other is Costco Jose's Organic Mayan Blend that runs about $9 for a forty oz bag in the warehouse. A $2 quart of half and half (Kroger) lasts us about 3 weeks. We don't use any sweeteners and use a burr grinder for our whole beans. We brew in a drip coffee maker. So I guess that makes for between 33 and 60 cents a day for our coffee habit.

I'll guesstimate less than $200 a year for the 2 of us. We buy the ground Kroger brand for $5 of $6 a can. And sometimes a bag of pricier beans for grinding. Don't believe in Starbucks. A handful of times a year I may buy a cup of Joe at Mickey D's.

I'm sure I spend more on beer.

We only drink coffee made at home, and then only 1 cup each in the morning, so never thought about how much it costs, nor paid attention to how often we buy ground coffee. But this thread made me curious, so here's an attempt to find out.

I usually use about 3 tablespoons of ground coffee each morning for the 2 cups, and the Web says about 64 tablespoons per pound. It works out to about 15 lbs per year. At less than $10/lb, it's less than $150/year. It's not much.

I drink my coffee black. My wife adds a tablespoon of sugar, plus 1/3 cup of whole milk. That's not much money either.

So, I imagine all together it's perhaps 50c each day for both of us. OK, I will keep on ignoring the cost of this consumption item.

Back in the day, I used Folgers coffee crystals at home. I think a medium jar could be bought for $4 or so. At a cup before w*rk, it lasted a long time. Coffee at w*rk at the time was $0.05 - you had to be in the "coffee fund" or else the coffee was $0.10. The good old days though YMMV.

When I had an office job, the company bought the coffee.
They probably would have given amphetamines if it was legal. :angel:

As for underwear I buy a 6 pack maybe every year or 2.
Seems like it was up around $20 last time, eeek.

Don't spend much on other clothes either.

I've never thought to break out coffee as a spending item. It just goes under "groceries" in the spreadsheet. But it's easy enough to do - we get a 100 ct box of K-cups from Amazon every five weeks for $27.75 So that means we spend $288.60 on coffee every year. We could cut that by a third if the young wife were not so wanton as to drink two cups a day. I think one is quite enough for anyone, thank you very much.

Don’t care. As in other edibles/drinkables I care most about quality.

I don’t very rarely buy coffee drinks out, takeout or go to restaurants, but I spend plenty on high quality ingredients and that’s just fine with me as it’s a top priority.

Last edited:
Big bag of lavazza every month or so. Milk, splenda. Pick up a starbucks once or twice a month. Every morning starts with a fresh ground latte with steamed milk and if you told me I was spending $500 a year doing it I would not care (I'm not, but I can't be bothered with the math).

Don't bother to add it up, don't care to!

Here are all the categories that I've spent more on than coffee in the past 12 months:

Auto
Charity
Christmas
Clothing
College
Food
House
Kids
Medical
Misc
Pets
Recreation
Tax
Utilities
Wealth management

which, by the way, is all of my categories.

As for underwear, if anyone actually cared, I usually do the BOGO sales at Kohl's ever year or two, so maybe $20 a year on average.

When I was in Spain, I found coffee shops off the tourist track that served a simple breakfast of a cup of coffee plus a piece of pastry for 1.5 euros. Can't beat that!

PS. I found a shot I took in a cafeteria in downtown Andorra. This cafeteria was above a department store, and looked to be frequented by downtown workers on their way to work in the morning.

A breakfast of a cup of coffee, a glass of orange juice, and a pastry was 2 euros, with a mandatory 10% added for the wait staff. The 10% added fee was strange. Perhaps it used to be only 2 euros, and they were apologetic for having to raise the price. Or they had not printed the new menu. Look at my wife pointing to the 2-euro price.

10965-albums235-picture2481.jpg

Last edited:
Never spent a penny on coffee.

Don't track coffee costs. This year would be higher because I bought a burr grinder, what a difference. We drink a pot in the morning and twice a week I'll get breakfast at McDonalds and we both have an extra cup. In the afternoon we have another cup from the aero press. We drink it black a habit I got from Megacorp. On 36 hour days you never knew when your cup was last filled and leftover cold coffee is better black.

I've started buying beans from Coffee Direct(thanks Robbie) and DW saw the order, didn't know the amount of coffee I purchased but saw the dollar amount. She screamed at me "what do you think we are? Rich!".

and i've never tasted coffee. and we've never had coffee or a coffee pot in our house since we've been married. i worked 35-years in public safety and friends wonder how i got thru it without coffee, nicotine or alcohol.

but one day my boss did ask me to make a pot of coffee for a meeting with some of the police and fire chiefs in our system. ok, i thought, how hard could this possibly be? we had one of those Mr. Coffee machines but no pre-measured packs in those days. so....there were 7 or 8 people in the meeting so i used one scoop of coffee for one person. i truly had no idea how much coffee to use. LOL...i was never asked to make coffee again. :dance: :LOL:

Last edited:
A lot. We really like our Nespresso unlike some other posters here. We go through 7-10 pods per day at $0.70 per pod. DH drinks cappuccinos and I drink double espressos with a Premier Protein shake.

I buy about 60 lbs of green beans a year at around $6/lb. My last roaster was $300 and lasted 10 years. French press, kettle, and water are pretty small costs.

All together I'll round up and say I spend about $400 year on coffee a year (which also covers my partner, but I drink 3/4 of it).

We are also home roasters. I just checked our Sweet Maria's orders and we average between $400 and $500/year on green beans. Plus a new roaster perhaps every 8 years.

Home roasted coffee is a luxury we consider well worth it. Right now I make us delicious iced coffee every afternoon. A real pick-me-up for my DW who is caring for our grandson. It gives us something to look forward to during the part of the day when it's easy to drift off....

As I said at the beginning, I was reminiscing about the price of hotel coffee at $20 for a 4 cup carafe. It was at the Sir Francis Drake hotel by Union Square in San Francisco about 30 years ago. It was the only way to order their coffee back then.

MY DW got me hooked on the flavored Barney's coffee's around that time. We both loved the rich aroma going into a Barney's coffee shop! I discovered Gevalia and received a regular shipment from them for a long time, too.

Fast forward a couple of decades, in Paris, we had an extended stay in a private apartment just a block away from the Eiffel Tower. The apartment had a private balcony view of the Eiffel. It was equipped with a french press (which I had never used prior to that, always using standard or cone filter coffee makers in the US). With a boulangerie less than a hundred yards away, the finest continental breakfasts of cafe-au-lait, fresh French bread, brie, butter and marmalade were had in that apartment.

On return home, I went back to the old way of making coffee, but it didn't taste as good! Not until the next trip to Europe and getting re-exposed to the french press did I finally connect the dots.

Now, I use a french press, off the shelf Folgers or Maxwell House on sale (or whatever else suits my fancy), the finest mineral water direct from the Florida aquifer (via a private 400 foot deep well), a bit of sugar and (mostly) milk for superior tasting coffee. No more fancy flavored coffee, except for hazelnut occasionally. Even the nondairy creamers seem 'chalky' to me. On the flip side, I still occasionally use instant coffee when pressed (no pun) for time or in a hurry.

So, for 2 cups a day, it costs about $150 a year. A far cry from the $20 carafe of 30 years ago (Most of the money saved went to early retirement!).

I rarely have non-home brewed coffee, usually bringing my own in an insulated stainless steel bottle.

All I need to complete the cafe-au-lait is some fresh french bread, brie, butter and marmalade to the sounds of "La Vie En Rose."

I only drink coffee on occasion after a large meal out at night effectively as a drug to keep me up for the drive home.

and i've never tasted coffee.

May I ask why?

My story: I got badly addicted to coffee as a young man. Working jobs (fishing, trucking, food service) where coffee was required to stay alert. When I was up to 2-3 pots of coffee per shift I started noticing the physical effects. I quit cold turkey and never looked back.

I can drink it, and I can drink caffeinated soda, but now that I'm not feeding the addiction I find the taste of coffee isn't really that good.

I always chuckle at how much money, time and effort people put into "perfect" coffee. Back in the day it was sort of a badge of honor to be able to drink the nasty sludge that passed for coffee at truck stops or industrial facilities. It helped me realize that coffee is just a drug delivery system for caffeine.

I got badly addicted to coffee as a young man.

I wouldn't call it addicted, but I know what you mean. In military office settings, there was always a pot of coffee going, and almost everyone sipped on a mug all day long.

When I quit smoking, I needed something to do with my hands to take the place of a cigarette, and that something became a cup of coffee. So that reinforced the office behavior quite strongly.

Since retiring, I've cut back to usually three mugs (5-6 standard cups) a day, and never after noon.

Back
Top Bottom