Is this normal for an auto mechanic?

I think Consumer Reports and NPR's Click & Clack both recommend 5,000 miles for non-synthetic oils. With those two sources, why would you look anywhere else? :)

I think Consumer Reports and NPR's Click & Clack both recommend 5,000 miles for non-synthetic oils. With those two sources, why would you look anywhere else? :)
I still try to change our oil every 6-9 months just to let out the water and other accumulated low-mileage gunk.

When did they start putting cabin filters in cars?? I've owned many cars and have never even seen one. What does it filter out, rats and cockroaches?

When did they start putting cabin filters in cars?? I've owned many cars and have never even seen one. What does it filter out, rats and cockroaches?

Dust and pollen. For some with allergies, it really helps.

Not a bad recommendation, although I'd add "or within one year, if you havent reached 5000 miles by then".

Consumer reports tested oils in taxi cabs in manhattan, all idling and stop and go driving with a lot more hours of engine run time to miles driven than most people do in their personal cars. IIRC none of the oils showed any significant breakdown or loss of additives packages until after 5000 miles.

Consumer reports tested oils in taxi cabs in manhattan, all idling and stop and go driving with a lot more hours of engine run time to miles driven than most people do in their personal cars.
Especially among ERs, I'd be more concerned about the cars that sit in garages for 3-4 days between five-mile trips that barely even warm up the engine (let alone the crankcase).

What's funny is to see how the service schedule has changed for BMW now that they are paying for all of it.

My 3 series' first oil change isn't scheduled until 15,000 miles and around once a year after that. Somehow all the extra stuff that dealers like to include in their "suggested tune ups" aren't worth BMW having to pay for them.

Wow! 15k is a long long time unless using synthetic. Oil life will vary significantly depending on the type of driving, so the 3k mile interval is worst case severe duty. Our cars all have oil life monitors in them and the computer tracks engine speed, hrs, temp, etc. so the light turns on much much later if your doing highway driving. Owner's manual also has a note not to exceed 12 months regardless of miles. I picked up a new company car and was doing nearly 100% highway driving and went about 9k miles before the light came on.

I just read an article about the 2008 Honda Accord...apparently their 4 cylinder engine can go 10,000 miles between oil changes...........

I just read an article about the 2008 Honda Accord...apparently their 4 cylinder engine can go 10,000 miles between oil changes...........

My Escape Hybrid has 10,000 mile oil change intervals, as well. Of course the engine doesn't idle much....

Wow! 15k is a long long time unless using synthetic. Oil life will vary significantly depending on the type of driving, so the 3k mile interval is worst case severe duty. Our cars all have oil life monitors in them and the computer tracks engine speed, hrs, temp, etc. so the light turns on much much later if your doing highway driving. Owner's manual also has a note not to exceed 12 months regardless of miles. I picked up a new company car and was doing nearly 100% highway driving and went about 9k miles before the light came on.

Yeah, the BMW comes loaded with Castrol full synthetic. It also changes the service schedule based on how you drive. It's supposed to go 15K between changes. However, after seeing me drive the car has decided that 9K is a better interval :cool:

It also changes the service schedule based on how you drive. It's supposed to go 15K between changes. However, after seeing me drive the car has decided that 9K is a better interval :cool:

Why is it always company cars that folks beat the crap out of? I'll be tyou don't treat your S2000 like that! :D

My neighbor's son bought a WRX Subaru, and put about $10,000 in performance parts in it..........:eek:

He's now running high 12's in the 1/4 mile.........:cool:

Why is it always company cars that folks beat the crap out of? I'll be tyou don't treat your S2000 like that! :D

Are you kidding? I drive my S2000 like it's stolen and i'm running from the cops! >:D

Are you kidding? I drive my S2000 like it's stolen and i'm running from the cops! >:D

Then again, it's a Honda,so it's better equipped to be "beat on" that a Beemer............;)

Back
Top Bottom