Last Time You Went to the Movies

Our teen dragged me to see Pirates of the Caribbean III last week as her treat for finishing 9th grade.

I wasn't paying much attention but at one point my brain woke up and said "Hey, that nasty guitar-strummin' pirate looks a lot like Keith Richards. I wonder how much makeup that took?!?"

The answer: none.

My daughter's comment was "Who were the Rolling Stones?" Ouch.

Otherwise I see a good large-caliber action flick about once a year.
Obviously Mr. Richards is working so that he can delay collecting Social Security.

Gosh I really had to think back about this one but I believe it was ET, I took my two nephews.. humm so that had to be over 20 years ago.

we went about a month ago, to see Spider Man 3 (I tend to only go to shows that need a big screen to get the full impact). There were a lot of little kids sitting in front of us (12 & under), which we thought would be a problem...but they ended up being more entertaining than the movie!

at the scene were MJ kisses Harry, one yelled "ho", another "slut" & the third "two-timing WHORE", which had all of us in tears of amusement (and slightly shocked at the last one...). :2funny:

in general, I just use netflix.

I think I've been to the movies twice is the last five years -- quite a change from perhaps 15 years ago, when I'd often go weekly. For me, it was the death of the small theater. I cannot stand the multiplexes with crowded parking, long lines for tickets and refreshments, and tacky decoration.

Coach

Just like some of the others here, I used to go to the movies a lot. Usually once a week and sometimes two or three times. Now the experience has become too unpleasant for all the reasons mentioned in other posts. About two years ago I did go to see The World’s Fastest Indian. That was one of the few movies I’ve been to that had the audience applauding at the end.

DW and I went over the last holiday weekend (Memorial Day) to see Spiderman 3. It was probably our last theater visit. There were a lot of people with young kids there, apparently to save from having to pay a babysitter. When not wrestliing in the aisles and stairways, the youngsters were screaming at the top of their lungs whenever one of the many scary parts was shown. Clearly, there was insufficient parental or theater control of who was in that theater. I suspect those youngsters had nightmares for days.

We stopped in 2005. Used to go to dinner and a movie about once a week.

We don't even rent videos anymore, since we can barely keep up with DVDs that we get from the library and movies that we record. Watched "Who Killed the Electric Car?" the other night -- recommended.

I recorded an entire season or two of "24", but I don't know when I'll get a chance to watch it.

Wow

The last movie I saw in a thee-ator was Animal House in '78.

Mike D.

Last time I was in a theater, cell phones had not yet become the problem that they apparently since have. Independence Day, perhaps?

I rarely go to movies due to my hearing loss but my daughter and I went to Spider Man (don't laugh) about a month ago. Since I can't really follow the dialog, I at least want to be entertained by the action. This movie theater had the rear window projection captioning...so I was able to follow the dialog (what there was of it). Most of the time we just watch at home. That's what I prefer anyway.

Saturday, June 16 (of course!) we were late arriving for a "Bloomsday" celebration (due to traffic congestion); it was sold out so we decided to check out the movies at two malls within walking distance. The timing was bad and the only choice coming up within a few minutes was Pirates III. We passed on that and hung out at the mall for a while; haven't done that since the new Bloomies opened last Sept. It was fun just sitting and relaxing under the dome. Took the scenic way home and stoped for home made ice cream.

That rear window captioning sure is clever, never heard of that before.

700px-%27rear-window%27_captioning_system-fr.svg.png

I don't go often - I'm too cheap. A date paid for me to see Spiderman 3 a few weeks ago... what a waste of money! I didn't even pay and I felt ripped off!

Before that.. um.. saw 'Pan's Labriynth' - which was excellent.

I used to go a lot since there was theater in SLC that was $1.50 (50 cents on Tuesdays). But since moving in Seattle, I have a hard time paying $9.50 a ticket.

Tromebone Al....yep, that's how it worked. I really liked it but only one or two screens out of the many screens located at that theater were equipped with the rear window.:( Makes my movie viewing a little restrictive at theaters.

Even for those of us with good hearing, there's often dialog that's hard to catch. Being able to rewind and replay a video at home is a major advantage over theaters.

Even for those of us with good hearing, there's often dialog that's hard to catch. Being able to rewind and replay a video at home is a major advantage over theaters.
Yeah, that's why I see movies at theaters. For the scintillating dialogue and subtle plot nuances. Yep. Sure.

The kind of movies I see at theaters use more electricity to drive the projector & sound system than the cost of my ticket, let alone the capacity of the 2x100-amp feed into our house...

It is interesting. Are movies (that form of entertainment) becoming less expensive to consume due the the scale that DVD (and before that VCR) has afforded to the consumer base. It has increase consumption overall. But the traditional theater distribution channel has remained about the same. I believe it has probably increased... but it likely to be very little compared to DVD ownership/rental and TV/Cable after release market.

On an inflation adjusted basis... consuming a movie (near term of the release) has to be less expensive. I can remember paying 50 cents to go to theater in the 70's. I now pay $3+ for a "new-release" movie at blockbuster (cheaper with netflix). Plus for the 3 bucks... multiple people can watch it.

I am another person with good hearing, and what you are saying touches on another advantage to watching movies at home: the volume. At the theaters, the volume is turned up so high that it is always borderline painful, and often goes across that line so that am in some considerable distress from the pain. Several times Frank has had to ask them to turn it down a little. Usually they either won't, or the difference is nearly imperceptable.

We do go out to movies now and then, nevertheless.

I think the last movie I saw in a theater was Be Here to Love Me , a movie about Townes Van Zandt, the singer/songwriter.

That was 2 or 3 years ago.

I have a projector and DVD player set-up like CFB's--and CFB did help me figure out what to buy--with which I watch DVDs usually borrowed from the public libe.

I might go with some girlfriends this week to check out the new chi-chi Sundance Theater that just opened in town. Don't really care what it's showing--we'll be there for the experience/ambience.

Another reason I dont bother going anymore is that a lot of movies suck.

I used to go with a bunch of friends once a week, but when it got to our 20-25th sequential lousy flick we just gave up on it.

Seems like the standard is to slap something together, put together a catchy trailer for it, and make up for the suckiness of the content with volume of sucky movies.

At the theaters, the volume is turned up so high that it is always borderline painful,

Or the volume of the flick in the room next door. You reminded me about another disadvantage of going to a movie -- sitting there deciding whether it's worth it to go out, find someone, and tell them that the movie is out of focus, or that there's a buzzing sound, or the AC system is making too much noise.

Also, what's happened with commercials? Do they generally have ads before the movies these days?

Or the volume of the flick in the room next door. You reminded me about another disadvantage of going to a movie -- sitting there deciding whether it's worth it to go out, find someone, and tell them that the movie is out of focus, or that there's a buzzing sound, or the AC system is making too much noise.

Also, what's happened with commercials? Do they generally have ads before the movies these days?

I read somewhere that the movies are out of focus because it saves money for the theaters. Something about the heat from the projector and not wanting to pay for enough people to operate the projectors.

Back
Top Bottom