LOVE my new WaterPik!

Sittinginthesun

Recycles dryer sheets
Have used an electric toothbrush for years but detest flossing and other than some GUM soft-picks and flossers very rarely I haven't ever gotten into a flossing routine. After a cleaning at the dentist recently the hygienist recommended I try a WaterPik and let me tell you this thing is changing my life. I honestly enjoy using it and even after a very thorough brushing its amazing to see what comes out. Its very refreshing, my gums feel great and DW says my breath is pretty much perfect (leading to more close up face time lol). I think its a new habit and look forward to the next visit with my hygienist!

If you are shopping there are good models on Amazon. Waterpik WP-660 Aquarius Professional Water Flosser is the one I got - outstanding reviews for it online. Whole family now using it!!

One tip - use warm water. Chilly tap water does not feel good especially if you have sensitive gums.

Have used an electric toothbrush for years but detest flossing and other than some GUM soft-picks and flossers very rarely I haven't ever gotten into a flossing routine. After a cleaning at the dentist recently the hygienist recommended I try a WaterPik and let me tell you this thing is changing my life. I honestly enjoy using it and even after a very thorough brushing its amazing to see what comes out. Its very refreshing, my gums feel great and DW says my breath is pretty much perfect (leading to more close up face time lol). I think its a new habit and look forward to the next visit with my hygienist!

If you are shopping there are good models on Amazon. Waterpik WP-660 Aquarius Professional Water Flosser is the one I got - outstanding reviews for it online. Whole family now using it!!

One tip - use warm water. Chilly tap water does not feel good especially if you have sensitive gums.
I used one of these 30 years ago, and I really liked it. (different Model#) But then I bought a couple which didn't last well, so I thought the heck with it. I may try this one, as I do think that even if one is a dedicated flosser the water pik does help. Never any funky breath problems when using one.

Ha

Last edited:
Don't use it after brushing, use it before. I used to use mine after brushing and my teeth became very sensitive. Started using it before brushing and sensitivity went away. I put a little listerine in my water as well, (non colored) makes it feel really fresh. Don't use the colored listerine, it gums up the works.

Don't use it after brushing, use it before. I used to use mine after brushing and my teeth became very sensitive. Started using it before brushing and sensitivity went away. I put a little listerine in my water as well, (non colored) makes it feel really fresh. Don't use the colored listerine, it gums up the works.

I've read you can add some mouthwash as long as you keep it 75% water so got some today (Colgate Total Gum Health). I like doing it after brushing and that is what the instructions recommend so sticking with that for now.

A very timely post, as I am expecting delivery of two Waterpiks in the next few days - one for me and one for my SO. Like Ha, I used one several decades ago and liked it. However, I was young, didn't truly understand the importance of anything other than simple brushing, and my use of the Waterpik fell by the wayside.

Both SO and I are excited about the impending arrival of our Waterpiks!

I used to have a gap that would collect food. I had to water pic every day and after every meal was better. Now, the gap is fixed so I use it less frequently, but still a few times per week. When I didn't use it regularly before, I would get inflamed gums. Reason for posting is this - using some hydrogen peroxide in the water of the water pic and using it to clean the area cured any problems within hours. I would use about a 50/50 mixture and it never failed to get me back on track.

Note, they make a nice battery operated portable unit for travel. And yes, I couldn't stand it if the water wasn't warm. Even room temperature was a jolt to the nerves.

I love mine, too, but I had to laugh. A friend was visiting this past weekend- age 63, but no plans to retire soon- and I told him about our animated discussions on colonoscopies, circumcision and dental implants. I'm afraid I made us sound like a pretty dull group!

I have been using it for many years now, also using Sonicare electric toothbrush. I do notice gum line receding but don’t know which of the two has contributed to the problem. I also used to have gum bleeding problem but that went away after I use the waterpik nightly.

Last edited:
I have had a Pik for several months and it does get stuff that the other methods do not get. That said, flossing does the same and I do both.

I had a similar reaction on reading "love!" and "Waterpik" in the same title.

I'd say "we've become our parents," except my parents took poor care of their teeth (and mine, unfortunately, with lifelong repercussions). They were smart about some things, but not that.

I love mine, too, but I had to laugh. A friend was visiting this past weekend- age 63, but no plans to retire soon- and I told him about our animated discussions on colonoscopies, circumcision and dental implants. I'm afraid I made us sound like a pretty dull group!

I just started using one about a month ago and I am also amazed at the junk that washes out, even after flossing. I put warm water in the tank for comfort. Also, be cautious how you use them. A good friend who is an endodontist warned that a lot of people use high pressure settings and aim the pick wrong which can drive crap up into the gums instead of out. Aim the pick perpendicular to the gum line and use moderate pressure.

I got one six months ago and think it does a good job. The dental hygienist says big difference. Never a big flosser but used stim-u-dents and the the little gap brushes instead. The waterpik came in a two pack from Costco and DS took the other one and uses it daily. Probably would be a good Christmas gift for the rest of the children. Implants are expensive though thanks to fluoridation there is not a cavity between the four of them.

I got one six months ago and think it does a good job. The dental hygienist says big difference. Never a big flosser but used stim-u-dents and the the little gap brushes instead. The waterpik came in a two pack from Costco and DS took the other one and uses it daily. Probably would be a good Christmas gift for the rest of the children. Implants are expensive though thanks to fluoridation there is not a cavity between the four of them.

Thank you for your post, 6miths. I've just ordered one from Costco. The price is actually so much better because it's a 2 pack. I can keep the 2nd set in the basement BR DH uses more. Can't wait :dance:

Last edited:
We bought the one from Costco also. Use Sonicare electric toothbrush, floss, and water pic--may be overkill, but after our dental bills these past few years, well worth it. Cleaning appointments at the dentist now take so much less time.

We bought one last month....love it.....and, as others have noted, it's amazing the debris it eliminates after you think you've fully cleaned/flossed.

I floss then brush then rinse with the water pic.

A water flosser is a must for me. I can floss, brush, and swish mouthwash for 30 seconds, and if I water floss after that there will still be food coming out from behind one of my wisdom teeth sometimes. I didn't realize that until three months ago but it must have been like that for decades.

BUT, I bought Waterpik's cheapest, battery operated model, and it's a piece of crap. I'll continue to use it for now though. Here's my review:

The Pik Pocket tip that I ordered separately sometimes falls off, I think from the antibacterial mouthwash I use (active ingredient is Cetylpyridinium chloride). I was told that air bubbles can cause the tip to eject, and the mouthwash does get bubbly. Eventually, after attempting to use it several times and pouring water into the tip port, without the tip, in an attempt to clean it, the Pik Pocket tip will stay in. I read somewhere in Waterpik's literature that non-alcoholic mouthwash should work, but in my opinion, it works so poorly when the Pik Pocket tip is used due to the required cleaning procedure to prevent the tip from falling out that they should alert customers to this issue. I suggested a latch in addition to the current locking mechanism to assure the tip won't come out. Also, maybe Waterpik should consider making their own brand of non-alcoholic mouthwash without a foaming agent that will work with the Pik Pocket tip.

The requirement to line the battery cover gasket with petroleum jelly whenever the batteries are changed is annoying. Twice the cover couldn't be opened by hand even after I turned it to the right position. Maybe I needed to use more petroleum jelly those two times.

The clearest design flaw may be that the water reservoir soon became impossible to put back on. Sometimes I remove it for a good cleaning and it has to be removed to change batteries. Pressing it hard and even hitting the bottom wouldn't work at one point. Then I discovered that a plastic piece that's part of the white housing, that has to engage with the clear water reservoir, was positioned too far forward and the water reservoir couldn't be pushed in far enough to engage. I had to file down the front of that plastic piece and now it's perfect.

I have gum disease and tend to get food caught between my teeth. The Waterpik is good for quickly removing most of the food particles. Flossing does not always remove all the food particles as some others have mentioned. I found this out after flossing, brushing, and then using the Waterpik only to discover a few more food particles in the rinse water. But in my opinion, the Waterpik does not totally replace flossing. For example flossing allows you to scrape down the sides of your teeth to remove plaque. And after using a Waterpik for a few days and no flossing, my mouth does not feel as clean as with flossing (but maybe the new Waterpik models are better). Probably best to use floss and Waterpik but this is time consuming and a hassle to periodically clean the Waterpik.

Currently I am using GUM Proxabrushes dipped in mouthwash to remove food particles followed by flossing which seems to be working. Proxabrushes are easy and fast to use. If you do not have significant gum issues and dislike flossing, the Waterpik alone might be a good option.

Last edited:
I just discovered Curved Tip Dental Irrigation Syringes. I bought a Waterpik for one tooth before I learned about the syringes. I almost bought another water flosser for backup, and the battery operated ones can't even use salt water. And I was planning on replacing them every year or two. Water flossers remind me of my old iron that, one day, sprayed black water. Who knows how long mold was growing in there before it was apparent. I use a clear spray bottle now and never put water in my iron.

Love my water pick. I discovered it also does a great job for under my nails if you don't mind the splashing. Ha!
I'm on my second and repurposed the first to clean other stuff like jewelry, small automotive parts, even blasting out dirt and 'black stuff' from under the sink lip for under-counter sink mounts. It's like a mini pressure washer for all sorts of stuff.

Any updates on Water Flossers in general, not just the Water Pik?

Thanks to orthodontics I have some teeth with pockets in the 4-5 area of depth. After years of extra cleanings and other stuff, there’s not much that can be done to reduce the pockets. The dentist recommends a water flosser to make sure I get the things cleaned out every day.

they are so poorly made . i find they last a bit over a year or so .

first one i had and my wife’s had switches fail .

next one i had totally died . on the third with intermittent switch issue again

Yes, if you use them twice a day, they generally last a year or so. Are they worth it? I think so for my teeth. My gums are much healthier, way less plaque and my dental cleaning is less painful. That is worth buying a new one every year or so. I put some vinegar through the lines once per week just to ensure no mold is building up in the lines.

my wife just bought a different brand so let’s see how hers lasts

Back
Top Bottom